KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

DigitalOcean

Is this your company?

DigitalOcean

Add a Review

DigitalOcean Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Dec 28, 2019

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DigitalOcean and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great environment, great company

Apr 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Still keeping the 'get things done' attitude from the startup days. * Lots of interesting scalability problems to solve (not just on the technical side) * Lots of smart and efficient colleagues constantly raising the bar. * Great DE&I initiatives. * Work/life balance. Unlimited PTO, recharge days, resources for remote working. Environment respecting offline hours, vacations. * Well-thought selection of benefits, aimed towards improving work/life balance even more.

Cons

* Company grew very fast during the past two years and is experiencing growing pains as existing processes adapt to the new size and conditions. * Tech debt that needs to be dealt with (might be a pro for some folks) * While sporadic, there's still some resistance to change, especially around deeply ingrained processes. This is improving fast though.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fell the love

Dec 28, 2019 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are DO really do care about our core business and our customers. Love is in the mission statement and its central to how the business is run.

Cons

There are some growing pains as the company gets accustomed to big company process and letting go of smaller company dynamics

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee

Software Engineer

Nov 2, 2017 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits, remote-friendly, smart coworkers.

Cons

Little room for growth, uncertainty at management level, growing pains.

1 person found this review helpful

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

Thank you for the feedback. It is true that we are growing fast, and with that the intent is to make sure there are as many opportunities for internal growth as there are for external hires. We have a number of development programs we are rolling out, but I know we can do better on that front and there is a commitment to do that. Please hold me and the People team accountable.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Strong engineering culture, strong company culture - great option for remote

Jan 2, 2018 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Financial: - Competitive pay - Good personal computer perks, especially for remote - 401k 4% match - Personal budget toward learning/growth (books, conferences, courses, etc.) - Paid travel a few times a year Cultural: - Most (all?) positions have remote options, and outstanding remote culture (more than half employees remote) - If you're working in or visiting the office, it looks dope - the designers did some great custom work - Regular AMA's with the CEO and other upper management (transparency) - Focus on removing cultural bias in hiring process - Strong engineering culture - Minimal politicking (everywhere has some, but this is on the lower side) - Well organized and welcoming

Cons

- Compared to the bigger cloud players, DigitalOcean is an underdog in many areas. Maybe a pro depending on your point of view, but it means comparable teams and projects are smaller. - Rapid growth, which means growing pains due to reorganization, learning to scale. Some people are less excited about incoming changes, which causes friction.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

Thanks for the great feedback to kick off the new year. Sounds like you've well captured the things we are most proud of, and identified the areas in which we need to get better. Good to know we are working on the right things -- keep us on track to make sure we're continuing the commitment!

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 English Reviews