Cover image for DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean

Engaged Employer

DigitalOcean

Add a Review

DigitalOcean Employee Reviews about "team"

Updated Feb 2, 2023

78 Comments

Tech

638.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=DigitalOcean~823482
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about DigitalOcean? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with DigitalOcean employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DigitalOcean and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "team"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Innovative and talented team

Aug 24, 2015 - Platform Support Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The DigitalOcean Cloud is so simple and easy to use, I love this and so do our customers. It's exciting to be on the DigitalOcean team because we are helping people DigitalOcean team because we are helping people DigitalOcean teng to be on the DigitalOcean teng to be on the DigitalOcean team because we are helping people all over the world deploy their apps to the cloud. DigitalOcean's Cloud is built and maintained by our team of engineers in NYC and remotely across the world. Our Support team are always showing love to our customers in unique ways, this makes DO an energetic and innovative environment. Our Community team create amazing articles that help everyone learn something new or how to improve on what you are already doing. Every team will be happy to work with you, you only need to ask. We are all excited to create a great customer experience. My manager is extremely supportive, cares about our team, our careers and works hard to make sure DO is a great place that we all love! I meet with my team for weekly 1:1s, we work though development plans and focus on individual career goals. It's very exciting to have seen many of my team members successfully reach their career goals over the last year by transferring from our Support team to a variety of teams across DO including TechOps, Engineering, Community and Customer Success.

Cons

This is a fast-paced environment with constant change each day. Everyone is always working to make things better for each other and our customers. If you are excited to work with your team to always make improvements then you will love working here. If you do not like change or are not used to change then this may take some adjustment.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Looks promising but actually very disappointing

Oct 31, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) DO is a great place for interns. It has a very hip and relax environment. With all the marketing DO has spent to promote itself as a people first company and as a serious contender of Amazon, putting “DO” on your resume can be really good. 2) Perks and benefits are GREAT. The salary is very competitive since it’s a NYC company. 3) Great remote culture, especially considering all the perks and competitive salary.

Cons

1) Siloed work culture. It's quite disturbing to see how it stages and fakes the work culture on cam and in front of the media 2) Lack of transparency. The company always says “love” when he wants to avoid a controversial topic and underplay the severity of an issue. 3) So obsessed with numbers. Every employee is just a statistic. The company aggressively hires people to achieve the target but also aggressively loses its good people. Unfortunately, it doesn’t detail the two sides of the story behind the numbers, such as # of hires increases but churn also increases… why such high employee turnover… who knows? Only the positive side gets disclosed. 4) The leadership team keeps building layers of mediocre management team especially the middle management. Good people or the entire team were leaving this company. Some left on their own and some were let-go to accommodate a new hire. Obviously, there’s no growth and promotion in this company.

7 people found this review helpful

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I am sorry to hear you're not having the best experience. We are indeed a great place for interns to work and I hope for FT employees as well, and I think for most people that experience is authentic Just to clarify any misperceptions in this review, our retention is incredibly high and voluntary turnover is approaching single digits. As part of our committment to transparency we share those metrics quarterly with the entire company. We also are deeply committed to development at DO and in line with that almost a quarter of employees were either promoted or moved into new senior roles across the organization in 2017. I'm sorry that objective reality doesn't map to your personal experience. If there's anything we can to do better support you please reach out to me or someone on my team directly. We'd love to help where we can.

3. Join the DigitalOcean team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Great place to work

Jan 23, 2023 - DCE
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture easy to get along with - Great benefits - Comapred to larger cloud companies like AWS, there is a lot more to learn as not as many processes are automated so there is more responsibility and greater opportunities to learn - Travel - Flexible working hours - 'Fellowship program' allows you to try another team out if that's what you're interested in. Manager is happy to do this

Cons

- As some processes are not yet automated, there are some processes that are inefficient - As this is an international company you will have to be ready to have early/ late meetings. However, they are aware of this and expect you to not over work yourself and have breaks and are very flexible with the working hours

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn.

Jan 17, 2016 - Vice President Strategy in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was a pretty early employee at DigitalOcean (~25) and worked in the senior management team for over 2 years. I most recently helped with product and people operations. I found working with Ben to be relatively easy - he gave me a lot of room to grow and learn. If you're someone who learns by doing, DigitalOcean is a good place and you'll have a lot of flex to take initiative and run with it. The company generates really great revenue for such a young business and the venture partners are world class.

Cons

I can understand how less experienced folks might get frustrated working at DO as it's generally finding itself all around, however I'm not sure what you'd expect from a massively successful venture backed startup. If you're looking to be with world class mentors, DO is probably not the place for you - you need to excel at learning by yourself and growing yourself. The result of this can manifest as a perceived chaos and instability, in reality it's mostly rapid growth all around.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the best tech companies to work for!

Jun 13, 2022 - Junior Product Designer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- DigitalOcean is always one step ahead of its competitors and never ceases to improve and grow - Great team to work with - Great pay better than other companies - Company benefits are unmatched - Employees are always treated well - Great opportunities for growth within the company - Very supportive of employees who want to keep learning - Team leaders and Managers ensure employees are not overworked and very considerate of their lives out of work

Cons

- No cons to mention. Everything is just great about this company.

7. 5.0

Great work experience, Employee Centric Culture, Helpful Teams and Leaders

Feb 21, 2022 - Customer Success Manager (CSM) in Bangalore
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Quite helpful Teams and Team Leaders - Open to Employee Feedback - Great Manager - Employee Centric Work Culture - Lots of Learning opportunities - Good compensation structure

Cons

- Need for tailored onboarding content based on Job role

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Company with fun culture, generous benefits and excellent salaries

Dec 8, 2014 - Director and Team Lead in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone that is hired immediately becomes part of the DigitalOcean family. The office always has great energy. The executive team is approachable and always available for coaching or questions. You are encouraged to continue to learn and participate in areas that interest you. There are several events and activities including yoga, shows and nightly hangouts. Teams go out to lunch or dinner with each other, and the executive team often join. Compensation is very competitive, the company is definitely generous covering all meals, transportation and even gym memberships. The company also believes in 'take time off when you need it' vs. the dated 2 weeks industry standard. If you work hard, you are quickly recognized.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any cons vs challenges. As a growing startup, there are challenges that arise when staff double in size. The company strives to be transparent and available when any issues arise.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Best Company I have ever worked for

Oct 20, 2021 - Software Engineer II
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Culture - Wonderful team dynamic - Excellent benefits - Sense of making an impact - And again a greater Culture Having loved their products before I started working here I can say the simplicity and care is exactly what it is behind the scenes. In the time I've worked here I feel heard and I have learned a lot, and what's crazy is that I feel respected which has been hard to find in companies as of late.

Cons

There's only one, and it's that the work is fast paced, and similar to a startup. A lot of what we do/work on isn't a known fixed issue and a lot of the times you're stuck trying 10 thousand things to see what works and what doesn't. This might be a con to some, and a pro to others (I'm in the pro category) but I thought I'd list it here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 Reviews