Digitas Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.3
Digitas CEO Tony Weisman
Tony Weisman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can meet a lot of smart people there (in 44 reviews)

• You can learn a lot from a lot of smart people here (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a strong partner to find work/life balance (in 35 reviews)

• There can be some long hours as one would expect at an agency (in 46 reviews)

"Great internship"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with creative and account teams on client projects, working with interns on case study and presenting to client, free food and coffee, never had to get anyone else's coffee or lunch for them. Great support from Recruiting on resume revisions.

Cons

Intern case study was somewhat unorganized and provided vague guidelines that differed from client expectations at presentation. Client teams did not always have work to provide for interns.

Advice to Management

Organize case study more coherently. Other than some confusions about the case study, the company could not be more supportive of interns than they already are!

2. "Associate Director, Creative"

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

Lots of talented people, great benefits, fun culture.

Cons

Creative Leadership is missing its North Star and seems be having a hard time finding its footing in an industry where high-quality content is king. There's no strong creative POV; company aligns itself with of-the-moment industry trends (one minute we were a social agency, the next a UX agency, the next a strategic partner). Company more beholden to its shareholders and its quarterly margins than to keeping long-term, quality talent.

Advice to Management

Do better work.

3. "Zero respect for employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a few amazing people here, but upper management was a mess.

Cons

Worst job experience I have ever had. I was brought on as a Marketing Manager and there was no room on the floor for me, so they gave me a converted closet room to work in on a separate floor. There was so much disdain for the client that was frankly undeserved and created a really toxic environment. Upper management would make fun of client's weight after meetings as if they were 3rd grade bullies. Very self absorbed environment where upper management looks out for itself and will throw managers and associates under the bus at a moment's notice.

Advice to Management

Be role models for your workers and try to foster a better community. Take responsibility for client relationships and show respect internally and externally.

4. "VP/Director"

Former Employee - Vice President/Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President/Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Bright, motivated, hard-working and genuinely nice colleagues; strong employee retention (I was there for 10+ years as were many of my colleagues; not common these days.) Opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Some big egos at the senior levels. Experience depended largely on who you had as a manager. Some people became supervisors by default as they got promoted (due to their talent vs. ability to manage others.)

Advice to Management

Separate promotional tracks and don't automatically put people into management roles if it's not their forte. Continue to hire the best and brightest.

5. "Sr. Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, young agency culture (tap room, ping pong table, etc), interesting work if you are not stuck on big clients, lots of responsibility, tons of opportunities to learn and grow in the areas you want to

Cons

Constant turnover makes it very hard to get anything done, promotions and bonuses are awarded much later than deserved (contributes to high attrition rate), too many meetings and inefficient collaboration across departments

6. "Great place to launch your career"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas (More than a year)

Pros

I learned alot during my time at Digitas. They provided both internal training sessions and tuition reimbursement for external opportunities. The people in my department were very friendly and there are alot of opportunities for socializing with other teams. There are also alot of opportunities for recognition through healthy competition in internal hackathons and visualization contests.

Cons

Compensation may be lower than average

7. "Good and the bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent, big name clients : Bank of America, Dunkin, baskin, DOW,etc. Great Pto and good benefits, excellent holiday schedule and many perks (free food, tap room,free bagel Friday) , there are times when the office will spontaneously close early or open late, which is really awesome!

Cons

Typical client services/ad agency- you could get good clients or bad/aggressive clients. The highlight of that is you will develop a thick skin and be stronger for it in the long run. Compared to places I've been in the past, I don't find employees to be really smart and ahead of the curve. There are MANY high level VP's and AD's who don't have a clue what they are doing, will admit it to their employees and still get to keep their job. Hr is also completely useless. My teammates had an issue with a former boss, the boss was under "close watch" by a VP in HR and things were being handled. Then, midway through solving the team issue, the HR VP left the company and now the team is in really bad shape.

Advice to Management

Be WAY more careful when you screen and hire. There are way too many people in high level roles look good on paper, but can't perform their job function to the level that they should be.

8. "Amazing place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work with lots of young ,enthusiastic and talented people. Love working for this company.

Cons

I have been with the company for just few days, and haven't noticed any cons yet. So far so good.

9. "Great Agency"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to learn about digital, Digitas is a great place to do that. You have the chance to work on some great clients, with really smart marketing people.

Cons

Like any big agency, you may not feel the same "impact" you would at a smaller agency. Digitas is a good shop to experience what a big agency is like. Like all agencies, they have good and bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to tap into middle management- they can add a lot of value.

"Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

- Good benefits: work from home, unlimited sick time, lots of time off, health/dental insurance is really robust

- Great downtown Boston location

- Bagel Fridays

- Smart People

Cons

- Inconsistency between teams and roles

- Incredibly difficult to get promoted. You need to play the political system and schmooze with the right SVP

- Terrible work/life balance. Just terrible.

- No communication between departments

- Insane amount of turnover - 3 different managers and 7 new team members in just over a year, for example. Clients call us out on this.

- Zero training and punishment if you're not trained correctly

- Fearful culture - never saying no to the clients results in overworked employees

- Fueled by chaos - you will always be behind your to-do list

Advice to Management

Upper management: do something, anything, to retain your employees. Provide opportunities for actual career growth. And on that note, put some effort into training your new managers!