Digitas Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Digitas CEO Tony Weisman
Tony Weisman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can meet a lot of smart people there (in 44 reviews)

• You can learn a lot from a lot of smart people here (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a strong partner to find work/life balance (in 35 reviews)

• There can be some long hours as one would expect at an agency (in 46 reviews)

1. "Zero respect for employees"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a few amazing people here, but upper management was a mess.

Cons

Worst job experience I have ever had. I was brought on as a Marketing Manager and there was no room on the floor for me, so they gave me a converted closet room to work in on a separate floor. There was so much disdain for the client that was frankly undeserved and created a really toxic environment. Upper management would make fun of client's weight after meetings as if they were 3rd grade bullies. Very self absorbed environment where upper management looks out for itself and will throw managers and associates under the bus at a moment's notice.

Advice to Management

Be role models for your workers and try to foster a better community. Take responsibility for client relationships and show respect internally and externally.

2. "Strategy Planning"

Former Employee - Strategy Planning in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Strategy Planning in Chicago, IL

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

mean-spirited culture. HR and Sr. Leadership particularly cozy. Far too much time organizing PR propaganda to tout "great places to work". What a joke. Mean, overworked, click. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Set people up for success. Know what agency disciplines need to be a success. Stop with so many events and DEMAND people attend. Too many to get work done.

3. "Disorganized, slow, arrogant, and poorly managed"

Former Employee - Manager in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Digitas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy young meat market agencies with high burn and churn but all the right frills.

Cons

Immature and irrational management. Slowest agency to deliver client results. Over-complicated internal systems.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. What are you trying to build?

"Worst place you could ever work for - STAY FAR AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tight culture, but only because your coworkers will become your only friends since you will have no life outside of the office.

- Great view of the Bay

Cons

- Horrendous hours. 70-100 hour weeks were not uncommon.

- Almost NO entry training. The only training were for interns which consisted of just watching videos while people in Chicago voiced over them. Nothing to learn. The videos were designed more to make you feel good that you're working at Digitas when in reality taking a job here will only set you up FAR FAR back in your career.

- Awful management - most people will not help you and/or answer your questions because they are too busy themselves trying to not die from all the stress they are under.

- Worst clients - the clients are spoiled and entitled but the entire office grovels at them because they need the business or else the office will shut down. This means the clients can get away with setting arbitrary deadlines and the entire office stays until well past midnight to try and get it done.

- You will learn nothing other than how to be a slave and churn out work that will never matter.

- Compensation is laughable. I'm making nearly 2x more what I made when I was there.

Advice to Management

Just shut down the office already and let everybody move on from this awful chapter in their lives.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Somewhat creative environment. Free snacks.

Cons

Requires ALL employees to work overtime. The company has literally scheduled ALL employees for way more than 40 hours a week. Company is completely disorganized and is a complete mess. Stress level is ridiculous. Company is awful at retaining people.

Advice to Management

Management? What management?

"Politics, Incompetence, Politics"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time

Pros

- Easily accessible location in Boston
    - Bagel Fridays, Beer on tap (woo?)
    - Nice benefits stack. (Thanks French Culture & Maurice)
    - Very (book) smart people (for the most part)

Cons

- Terrible work/life balance. I often find myself at the office past 10pm more than 1 day a week. The co-workers that don't stay late are working weekends. Managers know this, but nothing is ever done about it. In fact, a typical response would be something like "oh... that sucks."
    - Severe lack of communication within and between departments. You're expected to know your job function and nuances of your account from day 1 - without asking questions. Asking questions assumes incompetence.
    - Culture of Fear. Managers are afraid to say no to clients, leading to an overload of fickle work and the terrible work/life balance I mentioned above.
    - Politics, politics, politics. Managers are promoted based on two factors: 1) length of employment at digitas and 2) the ability to suck up to the SVPs. It's also very clear who the favorites are. The new 360-degree review system is a joke - employees develop their own goals with their manager, but are actually assessed with totally different criteria. It's like that one time your professor outlined the final exam, but blindsided the class with something completely different.
    - Politics gets in the way of good work. If data seems negative or inconclusive, managers will push hard to spin it positively so clients are kept happy. Understandable, but this leads to a severe lack of transparency.
    - Internal politics are even worse. Ex-pats are blamed for systematic incompetencies. HR and many, many level of the management team (!) contribute to the politics by perpetuating rumors about current and past employees. Boston and Chicago teams resent each other for no good reason other than it's difficult to work with a remote team.
    - Do NOT buy into the "Ad Agency A List" or "Best Places to Work" list BS. HR hand-selects the reviews. Employees are spammed with pre-written submissions to send away to the award panels.
    - The mandatory parties and outings. Enough said.

Advice to Management

- Train. Your. Managers. Not just in managing people, but projects and teams.
    - Really think critically about how to optimize client workflow and how to utilize each team members' strengths
    - Promote people on level of competency, not years of service

7. "Associate Director of Project Management"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Project Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Project Management in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

Great culture and interesting work

Cons

Very focused on Account Management rather that focusing on a partnership with Project Management

8. "What a suck hole this agency is."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Digitas (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of soda, snacks and beer. Gee, that's awesome.

Cons

Worked with creative directors who were good at loving an idea one day, then hating it the next. They changed the focus/goal of one assignment 4x in two weeks, and then threw some folks under the bus in meetings and on email. Classy. Many people on here have said the HR is the worst. They were actually some of the more pleasant/helpful people at Digitas.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

"What a bad experience! Mean leaders and dishonest people make up Digitas."

Former Contractor - Contract Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Contract Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a contractor so the only pro was that I could have a little flexibility with my hours I worked

Cons

I was a contract Recruiter with Digitas for less than a year. It was my least favorite job I've ever had. The recruiting department is a mess. The Boston Recruiting head was inappropriate and constantly spoke badly about former and current employees and contractors. I know this, because one of the other recruiters told me what she said about me, and that's when I decided to leave. You know when a recruiting department can't keep their employees, than there must be something seriously wrong with the company. I heard that the Chicago office went through 4 Recruiting Directors in the last 2 years because it's such a bad place to work and no one wants to work with the people in charge. What Digitas needs to figure out is that if they hire contract recruiters and treat them poorly, those recruiters will not be motivated to hire good people for the company, won't work hard, and will most likely share their negative experiences with others in the industry.

Advice to Management

Get new Recruiting and HR leaders who are professional and appropriate. Stop promoting unqualified people just because they have been there for a long time and are close with the executives.

"horrible company"

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

no pros to working at this place unless you are in with the HR team

Cons

too many to list, awful experience