Digitas Reviews | Glassdoor

Digitas Reviews

Updated June 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can meet a lot of smart people there (in 44 reviews)

• You can learn a lot from a lot of smart people here (in 19 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great Benefits and HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas (More than a year)

Pros

- Great HR department led by a tenured executive team (believe the head of HR has since left but she was wonderful)
    - Amazing community service
    - Great benefits and vacation / time-off
    - Worked with some very smart people
    - Excellent training opportunities

Cons

- Difficult to get promoted as it was done by committee. Required you to really rally support and became very political. For others that stuck around long enough it was relatively easy to get promoted so who knows?
    - Hard to operate quickly. Too many 'practices' and 'experts' needed to be looped in.
    - The creative process made it nearly impossible to deliver ideas back to clients in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

- Surround the smart, capable talent wherever they sit.

2. "Good place to work, if you are on specific accounts, with specific managers"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Digitas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office in Atlanta, mostly a good team to work with. Lots of great stuff to do when not on-site at the client. Good HR team, mostly good upper management at the office.

Cons

The client I was assigned to service was overly demanding and was not well managed. When I came on board I was told the job would be one thing, and it ended up being something completely else. I was brought on in a senior position, but staffed at a junior level. It seemed they hired to fill roles without considering the expertise of the people who were filling those roles and expected those hired to just shut up and fall in line.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on those making the hiring decisions, and be involved in the recruiting process more. Listen to the things your staff says about those that are doing the management of the day-to-day staff. You haven't done a good job at making sure the middle management in the Atlanta office are kept in check - aggression and demeaning management practices are taking place in as if it were still the 50's.

"Great company that struggles to retain tallent"

Former Employee - Analyst, Strategy and Analysis in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst, Strategy and Analysis in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros to working at Digitas: great company culture, challenging work experience, and a good support system amongst co-workers for building various skill-sets.

Cons

Cons to working at Digitas: long hours, poor management and expectation setting, and struggles to recognize and retain talent.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: make sure your talent/staff is motivated and crystal clear on how they are valued at their current position.

"Worst place you could ever work for - STAY FAR AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tight culture, but only because your coworkers will become your only friends since you will have no life outside of the office.

- Great view of the Bay

Cons

- Horrendous hours. 70-100 hour weeks were not uncommon.

- Almost NO entry training. The only training were for interns which consisted of just watching videos while people in Chicago voiced over them. Nothing to learn. The videos were designed more to make you feel good that you're working at Digitas when in reality taking a job here will only set you up FAR FAR back in your career.

- Awful management - most people will not help you and/or answer your questions because they are too busy themselves trying to not die from all the stress they are under.

- Worst clients - the clients are spoiled and entitled but the entire office grovels at them because they need the business or else the office will shut down. This means the clients can get away with setting arbitrary deadlines and the entire office stays until well past midnight to try and get it done.

- You will learn nothing other than how to be a slave and churn out work that will never matter.

- Compensation is laughable. I'm making nearly 2x more what I made when I was there.

Advice to Management

Just shut down the office already and let everybody move on from this awful chapter in their lives.

5. "The high school that had too many kids"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to work on crazy great projects at lightening speed and because I had an aggressive moment in me day to to push things through. I lucked out and had an amazing manager who was part manager part friend part mentor and worked carefully to not cross any of those lines. I also got to work across capabilities with extremely talented folks and grow my role as a UX designer in ways that were flexible.

Cons

I didn't go to a big high school but I imagine the culture I experienced matching up to one. Gossip and who knows who knows who ruled the road and unfortunately that touched work assignments and culture more than it should. Long hours.... but in that arena I think you set your own limit(s) - you *can* get by working a good work/life balance but you won't be in the circle of "those people" - but that's the same anywhere you go... Work 70-80 hours a week and you'll burgeon anywhere. Work 50 you'll be fine. Work 40 you'll get laid off eventually.

Advice to Management

Keep nurturing great talent as you keep growing.

6. "A great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Digitas is a pretty progressive company. The work is interesting and fast paced.

Cons

The cons have a lot to do with it's size—it can be great for some but others can get lost there.

"Great at Keeping People"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Digitas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Keep employees as best they can regardless of what's going on
    - Great culture
    - Great people to work with
    - Awesome things to do outside of work if you have the time
    - Accommodate to real life situations (new pet, apartment situations, working from home)

Cons

- Political (but what isn't in life? Learn to play the game or move aside for those of us that will)
    - Promotions take long
    - No clear path for one to follow in certain disciplines so they know what's next
    - Bouncing around on accounts/teams (but at least they keep you busy as best they can)
    - Had one manager who was/is not transparent which doesn't help me grow

Advice to Management

Keep working at ironing out the kinks and keep this a dope place to work! Thanks!

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Somewhat creative environment. Free snacks.

Cons

Requires ALL employees to work overtime. The company has literally scheduled ALL employees for way more than 40 hours a week. Company is completely disorganized and is a complete mess. Stress level is ridiculous. Company is awful at retaining people.

Advice to Management

Management? What management?

9. "Great place to learn the advertising rules of the game"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mentorship framework, your supervisors pay attention and regularly assess your performance, provide constructive improvement suggestions and praise. Smart people. Good operational process/organized.

Cons

Less agility than a smaller agency, change is slow and maddeningly bureaucratic.

10. "Delivery Manager"

Former Employee - Manager, Delivery Management in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, Delivery Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best, smartest people work at Digitas

Cons

It is a very big company

Advice to Management

Stay true to the roots of Digitas