DigitasLBi Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DigitasLBi Global CEO Luke Taylor
Luke Taylor

Pros
  • Fantastic co-workers and work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Overall great atmosphere and great people to work with (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance, long promotion cycles (in 23 reviews)

• Typical agency means long hours at times -- but I've heard DTAS is better than its competitors in this area (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at DigitasLBi (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, top clients, innovative work and business strategies

Cons

Poor work/life balance, long promotion cycles

2. "Great place"

Pros

Great people, good vibes.

Cons

Not enough free food.

3. "Exceptional for Agency World"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at DigitasLBi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are brilliant, collaborative, welcoming and multi-dimensional. Management is generally accessible and willing to help with any job large or small. Environment is comfortable, perks are good, and there are tons of opportunities to transfer to different departments, offices, or accounts.

Cons

Account options are somewhat limited, promotion schedule and process is a little inconsistent, leadership emerging from a time of transition

Advice to Management

Identify a way to increase retention

5. "Great Experience"

I worked at DigitasLBi full-time

Pros

Nice people. Helpful when you have questions.

Cons

need to pay more especially due to high cost of living in NYC

Advice to Management

get more diversity

6. "VP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DigitasLBi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hire extremely smart and dynamic talent. The work is top notch and the agency consistently strives to train and grow the staff's skills.

Cons

Way too many layers of management and bureaucracy to get things done. Senior leaders, even those who are not top talent, are allowed to become entrenched in their positions and limit both the quality of work from their teams and opportunities for better talent to be promoted.

Advice to Management

Create clear, aggressive growth paths for top performers and hold senior managers accountable if that path somehow becomes blocked.

"Pretty Terrible"

Former Employee - Analyst - Strategy and Analysis
    Former Employee - Analyst - Strategy and Analysis

I worked at DigitasLBi full-time

Pros

- I had a really great team, which is the one thing that made my time here bearable. My manager was really invested in my professional development and was always available to help. I was really impressed by a majority of the people I worked with - they were smart, capable, and friendly.

- Company seems to be attracting lots of new business, which is exciting.

Cons

Where do I begin?

- Entry-level positions do not offer competitive pay, especially for the number of hours you'll put in. People on my team regularly worked 60-70 hour weeks, sometimes edging into the 80 hour range. People constantly complained about their workloads, but upper management did nothing to address the situation. Expect to work just as much as your friends in consulting for 30%-40% less money.

- As a result of the above, there is rampant turnover within Strategy and Analysis in particular. In the last 6 months, I've known at least 15 people who have left, which is bad when a department only has 70 people to begin with. As a result, teams were constantly understaffed and stretched thin, which contributed to the high workload shouldered by employees.

- Technical training leaves much to be desired. During my interview, I was promised the opportunity to learn coding languages and other advanced marketing software, but that never happened. The opportunity to work with advanced marketing software and develop your skillset is largely dictated by the client/project you're assigned.

- Due to the relatively young staff, many employees did not act professionally. I can't tell you how many times I heard people talking about their crazy weekends or gossiping about other employees openly.

- Management seemed to take special interest in certain employees and encourage their career development at the expense of other employees. People who were assigned "high profile projects" at the beginning of their time here had more advancement opportunities/perks available to them than people who were assigned a bunch of smaller projects. This seemed unfair, as new employees have no say in the projects they're staffed on.

Advice to Management

Invest more in career development and actually address the issues raised here on Glassdoor. Ignoring persistent issues is just going to make turnover worse.

"Senior Analyst - Data and Analytics"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at DigitasLBi full-time

Pros

Overall culture is great. People who have worked there since graduating college are a little cliquey, but not too bad. Lots of perks like plenty of vacation/holidays, good health insurance, happy hour's every Friday, etc. They're very LGBTQ friendly, which is great for such a large company so props to them.

Cons

Ugh where to begin. I'll preface this by saying that this is my opinion having worked on the data analytics side of everything. Other parts of the company may be better.

I came from another company where data analytics, consulting, and strategy were done with pride and insights were thought out and meaningful. Not so here. There's so much bureaucracy and back and forth that it feels like nothing of importance is getting done. Not to mention that when I was interviewing here I came largely because they essentially promised me that they would teach me new tools and coding languages. That hasn't happened and isn't likely to happen.

They sometimes have these educational meetings, which I suppose are supposed to fill the gap in knowledge, but there so basic and scattered in terms of topics that they don't really do any good. There are some managers who are both knowledgeable and supportive, but the majority are either too busy with their own stuff or are seriously incompetent.

Performance reviews have never really happened, and promotions are ambiguous and unknown. It honestly feels like we're all media planners that are good with excel.

Long story short, if you're looking for a consulting or analytics position look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Work to help your employees grow their skills and knowledge. Instead of investing so much in workplace culture (which is pretty decent already), invest more in the tools your employees need to succeed, which will improve what you're able to deliver to the client.

The high turnover rate comes because employees feel like they were misled on the work they would be doing (or at least I personally did). Be honest with your interviewees or change the workplace so what you're promising you can actually deliver.

9. "A great place to grow a career"

Former Employee - Lead Creative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Creative in New York, NY

I worked at DigitasLBi (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers and work/life balance. Innovative leadership and wide variety of clients, and who doesn't love free bagels on Fridays.

Cons

Depending what team/client you work on career development can be tricky. Tried multiple times to rotate to another account, but fizzled out after each request.

10. "For an agency, one of the better ones."

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

Pros

Full of smart people who can problem solve with the best of them. You'll get along with your team very easily.

Cons

Typical agency stuff: underscoped at times. Long hours from time to time. Depends on client and size of the team.

"Toxic culture, incompetent and stupid management, and unrealistic expectations for S&A in Boston"

I worked at DigitasLBi full-time

Pros

You will likely learn a lot, but at the expense of all your free time, appreciation for your work, and general happiness.

Cons

I can only speak for the 'Strategy and Analytics' (aka 'S&A' or 'Data Sciences') group in Boston. But I imagine this is similar for other groups as well.

Management is completely incompetent and inept at doing their jobs. They constantly blame those lower than their level for their own idiotic mistakes.

Expect extremely long hours (minimum 50 hours a week), however usually much longer. They won't tell you this during the interview, but will instead tell you that "our team doesn't really have good work life balance" once you are already in the company and invested a lot of time to get there. Extremely deceiving.

In order to get people gullible enough to work here and to think this is a kind of work environment that is somehow acceptable, they almost only hire very young (early to mid 20's) and people who come from other countries who have no choice in accepting slave-like conditions as they may be sent home if they get fired.

NO appreciation whatsoever for hard work. You will kill yourself getting things done and then you will be treated like you are incompetent lazy trash. Management tries to motivate people by fear and threatening to fire you. They have no respect for their employees.

HUGE turnover due to their inhuman, mean-spirited, stupid, and incompetent management. I was there for less than a year but over half of the team I was with had left during that time. This is due to a combination of firings and people leaving in disgust. Somehow, management doesn't realize or take responsibility for WHY this is the case. Instead, they blame others and act dumbfounded for why they lose good talent.

Employees are expected to consistently match unrealistic deadlines with 100% perfection. Mistakes of any kind are grounds for termination, no matter how small. Management constantly requires perfection but at the same time tells you not to spend much time checking your work. They will then tell you how little time it would take them to do the same task ("you say 45 minutes to do that?? I can do it in 20!" (except not really)). The amount of stupidity is astounding as this is both unrealistic and fosters a toxic culture.

If you do decide to work at this hell hole, stay AWAY from the Dunkin Donuts team. You will thank me.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like trash.

Don't accept a client if you're not able to get enough money to hire enough people to do the job. Having 10 people to do 15-20 people's worth of work is not good business; it's counter-productive and idiotic.

Get some common sense, reasonable expectations, and somehow obtain at least a small amount of empathy and you might not get ridiculous turnover and overall unhappy employees.