Dillard's Cosmetics Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Dillard II
  1. "Dillards"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You work hard for them and you will move up fast

Cons

Dillards is a little dated with how it does things

Dillard's2017-04-14
  2. "Don’t Waste Your Time"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was $13 to start out - however you only get a raise once a year and if you switch departments, you then have to wait another year before you get the raise

Cons

Management, scheduling, high sales goals, little foot traffic, never a pat on the back, call in sick and expect to be wrote up or fired, micromanaged and high turn over rate

Advice to Management

Stop discriminating against people who have children, who aren’t white, who are limited availability, and actually do the background checks on people before you hire theif after theif!

Dillard's2019-03-29

"Good not great"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Building relationships, pay for retail, training

Cons

Having to hit goals or possibly losing your job when there are several others fighting for a sale. And not much availablitily for advancement

Advice to Management

Lose the sales goal

Dillard's2019-02-09

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay with commission

Cons

Unrealistic goals, no room for advancement, management does not try to get to know employees, doesn’t help employees better themselves

Dillard's2019-01-23

"Cosmetics Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in McAllen, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

They paid very well and gave very good hours even though I was part time. They trained me very well.

Cons

The main downside is that the cosmetics section at Dillard's doesn't have as much traffic as it used to be. Stores like Ulta or Sephora, even the Impulse section at Macy's, put the Dillard's cosmetics section to shame. It is a very dated way of selling cosmetics in an evolving industry. Not only that, but the other associates who worked there for years and years seemed to hate their job and it reflected to clients....

Advice to Management

Change the way you sell cosmetics. The industry is changing, keep up or go out of business.

Dillard's2018-11-21

"Good Perks, Clueless managers"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice discounts Gratis for online product training Flexible hours

Cons

Snooty & clueless managers Catty employees

Advice to Management

Please get some managers who actually emphasize with their employees and knows how to respect and speak to their workers.

Dillard's2018-07-23

"Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Cosmetic Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no real good reasons to work at Dillards. The pay isn't worth being miserable over. Time off is easy to be approved for, but not without them asking you to not take if even after it's been approved. Health benefits for full timers...super expensive. I'm not kidding, there is a downside to literally every 'pro' this company may have. The only good thing to ever come from this company would have to be the people...

Cons

Everything. But I sure will go into specifics. MICROMANAGEMENT. But the most ineffective form of micromanagement I've ever seen. Sometimes it might be necessary. But Dillards as a whole is unnecessary so it makes sense. Sales quotas. Literally impossible to meet. And if you don't, you get a wage deduction. And if you keep not meeting your numbers, they'll fire you. You're just a number to this company. I've seen...

Advice to Management

Stop. Just stop. Recognize that this company is failing. Unless you'd like to take a pay cut so the CEO can fund advertisement, I'd just stop. Quit. Find something else for less pay, you'll be happier and less stressed. I promise you.

Dillard's2017-08-03
  8. "Good pay but upper management is unprofessional and does not follow through with their word."

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Mobile, AL

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and discount. Benefits decent and enjoyed working with some of the employees.

Cons

Very few weekends off and employees are back stabbers. Do not work in cosmetics. Management unprofessional, gossips about other employees to other employees in the department and not to be trusted.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to know what is going on in their stores and listen to employees and not just management.

Dillard's2017-04-15
  9. "Save your soul"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Dillard's full-time for less than a year

Pros

There weren't too many pros to be honest. i was a bit desperate for a job so I disregarded the reviews, but really its better if you found another place to work.

Cons

Worst experience of my life- it really is a dying industry- the mall industry and it was very condescending and dis organized management.

Dillard's2017-03-09
  10. "Pay was great, culture was horrible!!"

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, 401k, commission, reasonable employee discount, hour lunch break. These things sound like a dream for a retail job, however....

Cons

Severely micromanaged, co-workers were very cutthroat, unrealistic sales goals, outdated policies and decor. People at my store would fight over sales. I understand the element of healthy competition amongst your peers but it would get ugly on a regular basis. The customers could sense that they were just just a number and they, as well as management, would encourage malice by messing with the staff.

Advice to Management

Catch up with the times and treat your employees and your customers like they are more than a number on the sales board; you might continue to exist.

Dillard's2017-01-15