Dimensional Fund Advisors Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2019

Found 28 reviews

2.4
David G. Booth

"CEO's and COO need to clean up the I.T. department."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits package and awesome rank and file employees. Great fringe benefits only because the morale within the firm is extremely low. The firm's extracurricular activities are needed in order to retain what top talent they have left.

Cons

Management, management, management. As with any newly hired I.T. VP, first thing they want to do is clean house of all the old timers and bring in their own people. No need to keep and retain employees who actually have the skills and know-how to keep a large global infrastructure running like a well cared for machine. Forget about learning the business, understanding all the system dependencies or identifying department...

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to eradicate current Sr I.T. managers. Hire new management that actually have leadership skills, who can provide guidance, and can motivate a demoralized department. DFA needs to do away with the self-serving I.T. managers and get the department back on its feet again.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2013-08-13

"The IT department needs a makeover"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful facility, good compensation. Great for financial types.

Cons

This company can't keep IT staff. The turnover rate in IT is beyond bad. The infrastructure team has about 30 positions and over 50% of them have quit in the past 12 months. Any project IT tries to do is over complicated and the individual contributors can't do their job because management makes all the decisions. Usually very poor ones at that. There are many things wrong with the IT department. Here's just a...

Advice to Management

The IT department needs to trim down on the number of managers. Get rid of the terrible middle managers or you will continue to lose talent. Let the individual contributors do the job they are paid to do. Fix the issues or there will be no more IT department in the future.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2013-08-15
  3. "Good entry-level Position"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Great entry level position Got a good idea for finance as a whole

Cons

Dogmatic about the philosophy (it's not a bad one), but I would hesitate to tell anyone that I explore active investing as well

Dimensional Fund Advisors2012-02-27
  4. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and nice people

Cons

Lack of independence of Uk office

Dimensional Fund Advisors2019-03-31

"Travesty"

Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Management are arrogant and ignore and exclude the majority of staff. Its a them and us situation. There is no career progression to speak of. DFA is a sick cult. It even has a network of Freemasons who promote each other. My advice would be don't touch it with a barge pole.

Advice to Management

Advice? How can you give advice to a company which actively employs Freemasons?

Dimensional Fund Advisors2017-06-24

"Poor progression opportunity"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Good sales story for financial advisors Fun colleagues Clever people to be working with in all departments of the offices

Cons

Progression opportunity very limited unless you have been at company for long time and they like you a lot Management is weak and not interested in developing people

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-06-26
  7. "It is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Associate in

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Access to the greatest finance minds in the world!

Cons

Technology lags behind light years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are in the trenches.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2012-05-17

"If you enjoy being in an academic institution that has its roots deeply embedded in Chicago University fellowship"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in London, England

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

One of the few companies that will still give a lunch allowance in Mayfair, fairly attractive pay for new associates, academic approach to investing that is rooted in Nobel prize winning financial theory, investment performance is a non-issue given the nature of its investment philosophy.

Cons

Little prospect for growth for analysts and associates, poor management in place due to the homogenous backgrounds of senior management, very pro-chicago university oriented. Not particularly in culture, and very conservative. Dont expect to get what you see. Being a model-based fund, work is mostly operational. Legacy systems are archaic and inefficient. Still has a long way to go to develop its infrastucture.

Advice to Management

Favouritism to Chicago U graduates can be disincentivising. Empower your junior staff, or don't expect any of them to remain when the economy rebounds.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2009-09-10