Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eduardo A. Repetto

Pros
  • Good work life balance and the office is nice (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, awesome people, great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough to keep younger workers focused on how great the work life balance is (in 5 reviews)

• waiting to see if HR and senior management adheres to agreements (in 7 reviews)

"A pleasant but slow-paced workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, interested in retention, great perqs, growing firm, generous job scope

Cons

Slow-paced, every decision requires multiple disparate managers to approve, accountability can be murky, highly police personality of women workers

"You won't find a more intelligent Investment Leadership team in the Industry!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Truly the best and brightest in the investment industry with countless MBAs from top tier schools, CFAs, PhDs and in addition, Nobel Prize winners on the Board. Not only are they brilliant but very down to earth and kind.

David Booth was 1 of 2 founders and CEO of Dimensional. He grew the business while remaining humble and truly cared about the Employees. He has since retired but remained Chairman of the Board

Cons

Dimensional has grown significantly over the years and has made some extremely exceptional choices in leadership but have also made, possibly some of the very worst choices in Leadership you could imagine. So, be cautious while evaluating an opportunity at DFA and gather all your facts from peers and the community before you make the leap! Every department is very different.

Advice to Management

Recommend putting "Human" back into your "Human Resources" Department.

"Awesome company, poor leadership and even worse management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is at the forefront of the investing landscape and is making all the right moves to keep it that way. Great resume builder, beautiful building and the connections you can make are priceless.

Cons

There's no leadership or true leaders. There are poor managers looking to add another "zero" to their paychecks and could care less about developing talent, unless it is to fuel their own agenda - definitely not for the betterment of the company. The so-called "leadership" is useless and do not give you the tools to succeed unless you want to do some serious sucking-up and for an extended period of time.

Advice to Management

Learn the difference between managers and leaders. Once that is accomplished, practice what you preach instead of playing politics.

"Growing fast"

Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offices are sweet, fast growth and a lot of opportunity as a result, small company feel for being one of the biggest fund firms in the industry, international business growth a big focus, collaborative culture, work life balance (8-5 hours)

Cons

No work from home, benefits are just ok, inflexible work hours, business attire is not flexible (I.e. no business casual ever), a lot of Co-C level positions is very strange but I guess it works, leadership could be stronger.

Advice to Management

Be more employee experience focused and don't hire so many new people that don't know what they are doing. You can't keep throwing bodies at the problem. Be more forward thinking in the expansion plans and think about if we have a downturn. Focus on leadership development and succession planning more. We hire a lot of smart people with minimal industry or leadership experience and this needs to be better balanced going forward.

"Quant trader"

Former Employee - Quant Trader in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Quant Trader in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The cofounder and ceo , David Booth treats employees like family. Wotking at dfa is like getting your phd in finance.

Cons

If you are not excited about finance or academics DFA is not for you

7. "Great place to start a career but path to advancement unclear"

Current Employee - Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are generally friendly and have a positive attitude. Benefits are good - generous vacation policy and 410(k) match. Beautiful building.

Cons

Unclear path for advancement. Lack of professional development and mentorship.

No flexibility in work hours and no opportunity to work remotely.

"good"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture and fabulous cafe.

Cons

management does not listen to the "little" people

9. "good start to careers"

Former Employee - Python Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Python Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office is good, large and well maintained

the best thing I remember was Gary Wilson, Garrett Jones, Robbie Totten, Liam Wiles, Adrian Nye

if you work on the Python team you are lucky; I only worked in 1 department

the education program repays a large amount of schooling costs, and has a cap large enough to fully pay for a masters

I was told my relocation costs would be "taken care of" when I resigned and am waiting to see if this agreement is followed or what negotiations hold

Cons

waiting to see if HR and senior management adheres to agreements

I don't like large companies

Advice to Management

adhere to agreements

10. "Admin assistant to CTO"

Former Employee - Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company. They don't micro manage, as long as you do a good job you have some freedom. Make sure you like the industry.

Cons

Really stresses on participating in company events and networking. There are some inter-department gossip/drama.

"Loved it"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

Its hard to find so many nice people at the same place, I found it at dimensional. Now when you combine that with employees being smart and intelligent, its unmatched.
    I worked in a great team, learnt a lot. My learning at Dimensional in one year is more than I learnt in my entire career. I found direction. Tech leads, managers, team mates, everyone was wonderful and love helping and sharing knowledge.
    Great cafeteria
    Great benefits
    Made great friends
    Beautiful office

Cons

The company requires everyone to dress formally, a lot of Information technology professionals dont like that.
    Cant think of anything that I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people, mentor more, provide more learning opportunities. I have heard from friends, lot changes are happening in IT in the right direction. Keep doing what you are doing.