Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews

Updated February 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Tough to keep younger workers focused on how great the work life balance is (in 5 reviews)

• waiting to see if HR and senior management adheres to agreements (in 7 reviews)

"Great Company, smart people"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, great work/life balance.

Cons

Not so much growth in career, but honestly can't think of any terrible cons.

2. "Analyst"

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, you will be surrounded by lots of intelligent people, pay is improving and is around industry average now, some amazing people

Cons

also some not so amazing people that I would never grab a drink with for the life of me, no way to distinguish yourself as an employee, very little upside potential. good place for risk averse people that want a simple 8-5 that pays fine. work gets a little dull at times and many of the skills taken from here aren't too transferrable in finance. losts of brainwashing to get employees to buy into the philosophy.

Advice to Management

there needs to be more transparency at every stage of this firm. saw too many times where a problem would arise and it would take way too long for senior guys to be aware of what was going on.

3. "Admin assistant to CTO"

Former Employee - Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company. They don't micro manage, as long as you do a good job you have some freedom. Make sure you like the industry.

Cons

Really stresses on participating in company events and networking. There are some inter-department gossip/drama.

"Loved it"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

Its hard to find so many nice people at the same place, I found it at dimensional. Now when you combine that with employees being smart and intelligent, its unmatched.
    I worked in a great team, learnt a lot. My learning at Dimensional in one year is more than I learnt in my entire career. I found direction. Tech leads, managers, team mates, everyone was wonderful and love helping and sharing knowledge.
    Great cafeteria
    Great benefits
    Made great friends
    Beautiful office

Cons

The company requires everyone to dress formally, a lot of Information technology professionals dont like that.
    Cant think of anything that I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people, mentor more, provide more learning opportunities. I have heard from friends, lot changes are happening in IT in the right direction. Keep doing what you are doing.

"Good place to settle down"

Current Employee - Associate, Business Analysis in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate, Business Analysis in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, job security, clear expectations

Cons

Lack of learning on the job, no innovation, no career growth, performance is not adequately rewarded

"Management is Awful"

Pros

pretty decent benefits and pay is not to bad depending on what you do there. There are a lot of extremely intelligent people who work there. Some really great people.

Cons

They do not care about their employees anymore. I worked for them for many years. Although some of the Human Resources are great like on the recruiting side many of the rest leave a lot to be desired. One in particular loves to try and bully people and intimidate them so they will say something inappropriate or something that will get them terminated.. Many of the mangers in Austin have their heads up their butts and micromanage. They all have a daddy issue with the new CFW Sam and are running around trying to please him. They let good people leave the company for no real good reason. IT management is the worst. They play games with peoples lives and expect you to sit there and take it. I had finally had enough and had to leave due to management. I just could not work there anymore and I really enjoyed my job and the people.

Advice to Management

Stop toying with peoples lives and playing games. Stop micro managing. They need to take a strong look at some of their HR People and do more things to keep employees there. Not chase them away. I was a very well thought of employee both professionally and personally and was treated very poorly. HR is not supposed to always be for management they should lead by example and not use such tactics as intimidation, bullying and threatening. Micro management is not necessary especially when done to justify your own manager position. Negativity breeds negativity. They need a way for employees to give feedback without fear of repercussions. I had nobody to turn to on one thing that happened to me. I spoke with my manager on a personal level about two things that occurred I was told it would be career suicide if I told anyone. I left not long after that.

"Interesting transition period"

Current Employee - Regional Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors (Less than a year)

Pros

very successful and strong brand, place to be in if you want to see academic rigor get translated into investment solutions, about to become a corporate firm, global opportunities

Cons

very sleepy, occasionally overwhelmed and biased management, employees are seen to be a commodity, leadership team seems not always to be on the same page, has not arrived in the digital age yet, very political environment, the strong value system that made it successful started collapsing, everyone is struggling to make decisions, very centralized and controlling

Advice to Management

incentives are not aligned, too risk averse, change attitude against change, innovation, etc., decentralize, empower people, establish a less toxic culture, make decisions, clarity and communication needs to improve

"Meh."

Pros

Great people, lots of camaraderie and talent.
    Smart People, focused on clients.
    Still has the feel of a small, close knit company.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

Leadership/management is opaque, not very dynamic.
    Compensation structure isn't clear and is inconsistently applied.
    Compensation is below market average for skills and responsibilities required.
    Firm is still run like a small company, but no longer is . This introduces a political dynamic, as senior management still wants to call all of the shots and won't trust their management teams to make sound business decisions.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is one of the weaknesses of the firm and key people probably should be replaced.

"Great"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Financial Advisor Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Financial Advisor Services in Austin, TX

Pros

Good group of people to work with. The Clients are engagement. People care what you have to say and listen

Cons

Sometimes can be slower paced at certain times. Tough to keep younger workers focused on how great the work life balance is.

"Stifling Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

highly educated workforce; good salary

Cons

highly educated people with many years of experience get micromanaged which results in fear of making any decisions at all; high turnover in many departments; least cheerful work environment I've ever been exposed to; no flextime for most employees; no business casual dress or jeans Fridays; leadership by fear in the legal department; work environment will not change unless the top managers are willing to address the cause of the retention problems in various departments, i.e. the inability to manage people well and effectively

Advice to Management

take a look at the departments which have high turnover and assess the people management skills of the people leading those departments