Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2019

Found 165 reviews

David G. Booth
  1. "Great place to start a career but path to advancement unclear"

Current Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are generally friendly and have a positive attitude. Benefits are good - generous vacation policy and 410(k) match. Beautiful building.

Cons

Unclear path for advancement. Lack of professional development and mentorship. No flexibility in work hours and no opportunity to work remotely.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2017-01-04

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, extremely intelligent coworkers, collaborative and team oriented, competative pay, good training process

Cons

Still "old school" in terms of work from home/ flexible work arrangements, headquarters in Austin not consistent with Charlotte office

Advice to Management

Adopt some new practices with flexible work arrangements, community engagement, etc

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-12-17

"Associate"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

The company has been performing very well for some time and the outlook is still great. Good work life balance and the office is nice. Cafeteria is also very nice and fairly cost effective. Benefits package is good.

Cons

Extremely bureaucratic and very centrally controlled. Employees are discouraged from making any decisions on their own for fear of repercussions. Pay is well below market for everyone but the few at the top. The work is extremely easy. After 2-3 months on the job the boredom will set in. Middle management has little to no "management" experience and lacks vision or forward planning.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-11-16

"good"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

great culture and fabulous cafe.

Cons

management does not listen to the "little" people

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-10-31

"Associate"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great leadership and culture. Great learning opportunities. Promotes from within. Great 401k match. Everyone believes in what they are doing.

Cons

Dear management, please do not block gmail and facebook. We are not robots.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-09-14
  6. "good start to careers"

Former Employee - Python Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

office is good, large and well maintained the best thing I remember was Gary Wilson, Garrett Jones, Robbie Totten, Liam Wiles, Adrian Nye if you work on the Python team you are lucky; I only worked in 1 department the education program repays a large amount of schooling costs, and has a cap large enough to fully pay for a masters I was told my relocation costs would be "taken care of" when I resigned and am...

Cons

waiting to see if HR and senior management adheres to agreements I don't like large companies

Advice to Management

adhere to agreements

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-09-01

"Analyst"

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, you will be surrounded by lots of intelligent people, pay is improving and is around industry average now, some amazing people

Cons

also some not so amazing people that I would never grab a drink with for the life of me, no way to distinguish yourself as an employee, very little upside potential. good place for risk averse people that want a simple 8-5 that pays fine. work gets a little dull at times and many of the skills taken from here aren't too transferrable in finance. losts of brainwashing to get employees to buy into the philosophy.

Advice to Management

there needs to be more transparency at every stage of this firm. saw too many times where a problem would arise and it would take way too long for senior guys to be aware of what was going on.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-08-29

"Great Company, smart people"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, great work/life balance.

Cons

Not so much growth in career, but honestly can't think of any terrible cons.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-08-18
  9. "Admin assistant to CTO"

Former Employee - Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors for less than a year

Pros

Good company. They don't micro manage, as long as you do a good job you have some freedom. Make sure you like the industry.

Cons

Really stresses on participating in company events and networking. There are some inter-department gossip/drama.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-07-25

"Loved it"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Its hard to find so many nice people at the same place, I found it at dimensional. Now when you combine that with employees being smart and intelligent, its unmatched. I worked in a great team, learnt a lot. My learning at Dimensional in one year is more than I learnt in my entire career. I found direction. Tech leads, managers, team mates, everyone was wonderful and love helping and sharing knowledge. Great cafeteria...

Cons

The company requires everyone to dress formally, a lot of Information technology professionals dont like that. Cant think of anything that I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people, mentor more, provide more learning opportunities. I have heard from friends, lot changes are happening in IT in the right direction. Keep doing what you are doing.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-07-14