Dimensional Fund Advisors "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Dimensional Fund Advisors Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Jul 5, 2019

Found 161 reviews

David G. Booth
Pros
Cons
  • "Difficult to get recognition if you don't sit in Austin(in 13 reviews)

• "DFA is in the process of merging their institutional sales and financial advisor teams(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Client Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay Great benefits In-house cafe with good choices on-site clinic

Cons

Holding judgement until I see what the new management will do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Dimensional Fund Advisors2018-04-27

"Analyst"

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, you will be surrounded by lots of intelligent people, pay is improving and is around industry average now, some amazing people

Cons

also some not so amazing people that I would never grab a drink with for the life of me, no way to distinguish yourself as an employee, very little upside potential. good place for risk averse people that want a simple 8-5 that pays fine. work gets a little dull at times and many of the skills taken from here aren't too transferrable in finance. losts of brainwashing to get employees to buy into the philosophy.

Advice to Management

there needs to be more transparency at every stage of this firm. saw too many times where a problem would arise and it would take way too long for senior guys to be aware of what was going on.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-08-29

"Great Company, smart people"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, great work/life balance.

Cons

Not so much growth in career, but honestly can't think of any terrible cons.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-08-18

"Loved it"

Former Employee - Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Its hard to find so many nice people at the same place, I found it at dimensional. Now when you combine that with employees being smart and intelligent, its unmatched. I worked in a great team, learnt a lot. My learning at Dimensional in one year is more than I learnt in my entire career. I found direction. Tech leads, managers, team mates, everyone was wonderful and love helping and sharing knowledge. Great cafeteria...

Cons

The company requires everyone to dress formally, a lot of Information technology professionals dont like that. Cant think of anything that I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people, mentor more, provide more learning opportunities. I have heard from friends, lot changes are happening in IT in the right direction. Keep doing what you are doing.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-07-14

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Prestigious and intelligent company to work for. Great benefits.

Cons

Management too easily looks away or even allows upper management to badger their employees and create hostile intimidating environments. if you weren't in the clique, then you don't get promoted. Bonuses were mediocre and raises ranged about only 2%

Advice to Management

Take a deeper look inside your upper management team.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2016-01-25

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Great benefits and staff...location is amazing....the office is beautiful

Cons

Hot summers and dress code could be better for non-client facing employees

Dimensional Fund Advisors2015-06-24

"Great food! Amazing view! Lots of opportunities for MBA grads from Chicago"

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

A lot of amazing people and great benefits. Opportunity to hear esteemed academics speak. One of the best products in the industry. Gorgeous office. The food is wonderful. Minus the traffic pretty good work/life balance. A lot really depends on your manager.

Cons

Opportunities are really limited if you don't have a MBA (for the most part only from Chicago Booth). Slightly sexist environment. Leadership and middle management constantly fight. Not the place if you think out of the box and like improvement. Horrible technology. Changing from a small company to big bank mentality. A lot of the great things are probably going to go as DFA grows. While making a decision to work here...

Advice to Management

Keep the things that make the work culture great and learn to like each other.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2014-01-27

"CEO's and COO need to clean up the I.T. department."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits package and awesome rank and file employees. Great fringe benefits only because the morale within the firm is extremely low. The firm's extracurricular activities are needed in order to retain what top talent they have left.

Cons

Management, management, management. As with any newly hired I.T. VP, first thing they want to do is clean house of all the old timers and bring in their own people. No need to keep and retain employees who actually have the skills and know-how to keep a large global infrastructure running like a well cared for machine. Forget about learning the business, understanding all the system dependencies or identifying department...

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to eradicate current Sr I.T. managers. Hire new management that actually have leadership skills, who can provide guidance, and can motivate a demoralized department. DFA needs to do away with the self-serving I.T. managers and get the department back on its feet again.

Dimensional Fund Advisors2013-08-13

"Can be a great place to work at, depending on your position."

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Great benefits, better-than-average salary, amazing building.

Cons

Management within their Marketing & Communication department is dysfunctional. Leadership within tends to be indecisive, and many managers are micro-managers, unapproachable, and/or horrible communicators. Lots of stress constantly and many fires to put out, but mostly because of their quirky direction.

Advice to Management

Let the professionals you hire do what you paid them for. Make decisions and stick to them!

Dimensional Fund Advisors2011-11-04
    • "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors

Pros

Great benefits, lots of flexability, great location outside of downtown Austin in a very high end neighborhood with lots of great schools, homes and restaurants. A nice relaxed academic culture with very friendly employees. Lots of opportunities to travel and work with senior management even at a entry level with lots of flexability to spend time with family.

Cons

Lots of people entering the company very quickly

Dimensional Fund Advisors2012-08-01