Direct Line Group Graduate Reviews | Glassdoor

Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James

"Graduate scheme review"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Excellent company culture - well supported in roles and by HR. - CII Professional qualification paid for in first year. - Fantastic joining bonus. - 'Leadership' graduate scheme - investment in personal development reflects that. - Placements around the business give a broad range of experience and knowledge. - Great discounts and benefits e.g. discounted car insurance, great pension contribution from company etc.

Cons

- Central London HQ would attract more talent. - Compulsory call centre placement/relocation not for everyone. - What happens post graduate scheme not clearly defined.

Advice to Management

- None! Keep investing your time in graduates as they are future leaders

Direct Line Group2018-10-16

December 5, 2018Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi there, thank you for leaving us a review and it is great to hear that you are having a great experience so far. We are only a few years into our Graduate scheme and we understand that you will want to see what happens next but never fear we will keep you in the loop! Thank you for being part of the DLG Team :)

"Graduate programme is a great opportunity"

Current Employee - Graduate Program in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joining bonus Great induction week Genuine desire to make sure you are giving all the tools reach your potential

Cons

Felt in the dark during the time from accepting the offer to starting the job

Advice to Management

Only been here a short time so at the moment I cant comment on any advice

Direct Line Group2018-10-16

December 6, 2018Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hey there, thank you for your review and glad that you enjoyed your induction week! We'll pass your feedback on but welcome to our DLG Team :)

"Disorganised at best"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like working in a fairly steady environment then it's good for working at your own pace Get to experience different roles

Cons

Roles aren't stretching You aren't developed quickly There's a distinct lack of structure to the scheme, any shortcomings will be down to you to be more proactive Whilst the company is well established, the scheme is new and needs a lot of work

Advice to Management

Look at more established schemes to see what they're doing better than you (a lot at the moment) Don't criticise those who provide useful and constructive feedback

Direct Line Group2018-08-06

August 14, 2018Recruitment Marketing Manager

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time out to write us a review. It's so important our employees can voice their opinions and we are grateful Glassdoor provides even more opportunities to do this. It's not the best news to hear the programme is not stretching you as you would have hoped. As you are currently on the programme I would really encourage you to speak to your contact in our HR team who manages the central programme so, you can have an open and honest conversation around some of your concerns, after all one of our core values is ‘Say it like it is’ . We really value our employees so, ultimately we want the best for you. Hope it all goes well!

"Great Company - Terrible Grad Scheme"

Current Intern - Graduate in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group for more than a year

Pros

Low workload, Fair pay, flexible working.

Cons

Lack of structure Disorganized The programme manager penalises those who give constructive feedback Lack of willingness to learn from/admit mistakes Not stretching No clear progression path Last minute relocations

Advice to Management

Employ an experienced programme manager, our people managers are great and really supportive. However even they openly lack confidence in how the programme is managed, as well as the fact that many placements don’t have enough work to develop us enough. If this scheme is to produce future leaders, it must set an example in the way we are lead and encourage us to maximize the potential seen in us.

Direct Line Group2018-07-10

"Graduate Scheme 2017"

Current Employee - Graduate in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

•Excellent benefits •Recognition and reward •Good work/ life balance •Strong brand values •Investment in people •Friendly and relaxed working culture

Cons

•long recruitment process •Job location revealed near the start date so felt disorganised.

Advice to Management

Continue to support graduates on the beginning of their graduate scheme. Maybe provide them with their location earlier so they can plan accommodation.

Direct Line Group2017-11-29

December 1, 2017Specialist Recruitment Consultant

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Direct Line Group, we really appreciate it.

"Unique opportunity"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary is good along with additional benefits e.g insurance discounts. My manager goes above and beyond to offer the best possible experience from accredited courses, meeting key stakeholders around the business to delegating tasks which are exciting and challenging. Opportunity to rotate across the business into different functions. The business is hugely supportive of extra curricular activities you undertake... particularly those involving charity work. Values of the company are fantastic and they are embedded into the organisation- for example you are encouraged to “say it like it is” The recruitment process from applying to the assessment was hugely challenging but also exciting- by far one of the best assessments I’ve attended.

Cons

Your experience is hugely impacted by who your manager is- the graduate scheme isn’t consistent. No opportunity to study accounting qualifications in year 1 of the graduate scheme. Your salary isn’t adjusted if you’re working in Bromley- this is usually the norm to have an additional amount added as it’s significantly more expensive living there. The time taken to send out my contract of employment wasn’t great-... it was significantly longer than other graduate scheme providers.

Advice to Management

The graduate scheme needs to become more consistent- I would recommend having a structure for the graduate scheme. The process of getting graduates on board following on from the verbal offer needs to be improved as it can put graduates off.

Direct Line Group2017-11-27

November 28, 2017Specialist Recruitment Consultant

Thank you for your honest feedback. We do take all comments on board as it is really important to us. We will pass your review on to HR colleagues.

"Graduate"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally, a good work-life balance, the occasional late night but typically the hours are 9-5. Networking is encouraged allowing you to get to know other areas of the business which helps to give you a better understanding of the company. The culture is very friendly and relaxed, great people who make you feel very welcome. In commercial, there is an excellent level of contact with senior management and... you feel as if your opinion and work really makes a difference to the business, you aren't given mundane tasks for the sake of doing them.

Cons

The company is very large so in personal lines (personal insurance) graduates do not get the level of contact from senior managers which they would like at times. The communication between various departments could be better. The graduate programme could be more organised at times, some graduates received their placement information later than others and there was confusion around where some graduates would... be based. However, that being said the scheme is still very young (2 years in) so some teething problems are to be expected.

Advice to Management

Some of the roles which graduates are placed can be difficult if you come directly out of university without a background in whatever you end up in. Therefore a brief training period in some cases could be beneficial.

Direct Line Group2017-11-23

November 23, 2017Specialist Recruitment Consultant

"Grad Scheme"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fabulous work life balance. Great focus on looking after employees. The application process is managed smoothly and professionally. Great communication within teams.

Cons

Size of the business inevitably leads to communication difficulties across the business (in contrast to the high quality communications within teams).

Direct Line Group2017-11-20

November 21, 2017Specialist Recruitment Consultant

Great to see you love working here, thanks for your feedback!

"DLG Graduate Scheme"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. People within DLG hold true to the companies values. Good work life balance. Treated with respect and given responsibility from the beginning. Managers take a real interest in your development and progress. Constantly receive feedback and areas for development. To summarise it is an amazing company to work for!

Cons

DLG’s first graduate scheme, so the process has not always been smooth and it is not entirely clear what the overall aim for graduates is after they complete scheme. i.e. will they be given managerial or roles with greater responsibility following completion of the scheme? How can graduates continue to progress within DLG following the graduate scheme, continue to better themselves and what opportunities are there? ... Despite this, it is an extraordinary company and HR who run the graduate programme make every effort to seek out feedback and continually improve the scheme on an ongoing basis. I would highly recommend DLG to any graduate aspiring to be fulfil their full potential!

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge and push graduates enabling them to grow. Continue to give feedback to graduates.

Direct Line Group2017-05-10

May 11, 2017Recruitment Marketing Analyst

We love working here too! Thank you for taking the time to comment, we take all feedback on board.

"Graduate Experience"

Current Employee - Graduate in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent pay; good career opportunities; good values; excellent culture and values; brilliant benefits.

Cons

Some discrepancies in level of responsibility given to graduates - some are in leadership or analyst roles as advertised, some are not.

Advice to Management

More thorough evaluation of business areas that grads are put into needed, they should be given the same level of responsibility from the offset.

Direct Line Group2016-10-27

November 23, 2016Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We do take all comments on board as it is really important to us. We will pass your review on to our HR colleagues.

Found 13 reviews