Direct Line Group "dlg" Reviews | Glassdoor

Direct Line Group Employee Reviews about "dlg"

Updated Oct 10, 2019

4.0
Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James
Pros
  • "Work life balance and understanding outside commitments to family(in 52 reviews)

• "Really good company with a lot of room for progression with really good benefits(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bromley is a bit tough to get to(in 25 reviews)

• "DLG Salary < Central London Salary(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "dlg"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pretty good overall though some room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Property Underwriter in London, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are excellent, all the company offices have a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere and the vast majority of people are friendly and helpful. My immediate line manager is good for the most part and a very reasonable / fair person and trusts their staff completely, which is important to me and a significant plus. Most senior level staff very approachable and straight talking. Honest conversations are... encouraged for the most part. Salaries are reasonable in London, not the best in the market but certainly not the worst either. Some nice little perks in the office, free pizza and drinks once a month, free fruit and some fun social events. Office politics not too bad, I've worked in far worse places for this! I'd have given 3.5 stars had it been possible!

Cons

Training opportunities and CII exam sponsorship (or lack of) is quite poor for such a big company. You get the impression the commercial arm of DLG gets forgotten about compared to the larger personal lines brands / businesses. Senior management rely too heavily on service / work counting reports which are not accurate and don't show anywhere near all the work an underwriter actually does. Internal box ticking... is seen to be more important than giving a good service to clients. High middle to senior level management structures seem to change every couple of months. There are clear signs of cost cutting with redundancies for long standing, knowledgeable and widely respected staff. Communication (or lack of) from senior management can be really quite poor at times. Countless different systems (some 30+ years old!) required for various tasks. Significant IT investment needed. Offshore IT helpdesk is pot luck, some people are brilliant others you can't even understand and are hopeless!

Advice to Management

Stop messing about with the structure and let us focus on doing a good job. Consult / Engage with the frontline staff more before bringing in significant changes. Improve the communication. Invest in systems development (but test it properly before releasing).

Direct Line Group2019-10-11
  2. "Nice friendly atmosphere at work"

Current Employee - Claims Coordinator

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice atmosphere at work every day

Cons

No cons at Dlg job

Direct Line Group2019-09-01
  3. "Fantastic Company | Fantastic People"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture Great location Flexible working Agile WoW

Cons

DLG Salary < Central London Salary

Advice to Management

N/A

Direct Line Group2019-07-10
  4. "Great work culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

DLG has worked hard to create a diverse and happy workforce. The culture has changed hugely for the better since the old RBS days. It is great to be part of successful and innovative marketing team which has a high profile externally.

Cons

Too many stakeholders at times can slow down projects. They lose good people in some areas through lack of opportunity for career progression.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in marketing.

Direct Line Group2019-03-29
  5. "How to make friends and influence people"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay is adequate for the job. The unit managers are engaged and the CEO is approachable (Penny James). The locations is good for alternative methods of transportation than driving as there is no parking or subsidised parking. Always trying new things to motivate the call centre agents such as free fruit and promotional merchandise etc. Friendly agents and a load of diveristy in who works there.

Cons

Sickness and their disciplinary plans are very heavy handed even when medical evidence is submitted. Only the right people can achieve career progression. Many good agents get overlooked because they don’t fit in with the team leader demographics, regardless of continual outstanding performanc. Some team leaders seem to penalise some members more than others, favourism is a big thing in DLG.

Advice to Management

Mostly a good place to work but there needs to be a wider selection of agents ‘stepping up’ and not the same ones over and over. How will you know there is a hidden gem if you don’t give them a go? Don’t tar all with the same brush when it comes to sickness. An 18 y.o triggers cannot be compared to someone who has pre-existing medical conditions and the constant worry of being one of the annual ‘kull’ that occurs... before the quieter months (I have seen this over many years, not just spectaculation).

Direct Line Group2019-04-01
  6. "Fantastic place to work"

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

An organisation that really cares for customers and it's employees. I really miss the organisation and the flexible working is just an added bonus. DLG encourage brave thinking and reward ideas through Lab Idea.

Cons

Nothing negative, other than it being to nice and generous to it's staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and don't lose sight of what has been built over the years!

Direct Line Group2019-03-14
  7. "An amazing place to work"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

If you want to go to work and feel like you're valued, appreciated, and part of a family, come to DLG. Absolutely amazing people and a very generous benefits package. I am genuinely proud to work here.

Cons

I am yet to see any that I could name.

Direct Line Group2019-03-08
  8. "Survey Review"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best reasons to work for DLG is the opportunities or development ladder you could possibly take.

Cons

The cons to working for DLG is that there needs to be more recognition during peak times to drive the morale.

Advice to Management

Recognise talent where it's due, people who deserve opportunities shouldn't need to ask to receive them, they should be earned based on their performance.

Direct Line Group2019-02-12
  9. "How it's been going : )"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined DLG in March 2018 - coming up to my Year Anniversary! :D Since I started I have had so many wonderful days here! Too many to mention - some of my favourite days have been around the Christmas period - we had carol-er's :D DLG have given me really good incentives to become the best person I can be here - having welfare chats and ongoing training and support since I started. I do really feel I have become... part of a lovely little family- my team have become some of my best friends. My Team Leader is also really supportive and helps me through some tough day. I would recommend joining us here - you will not regret it!

Cons

The job role can sometimes be challenging - but there is always help to hand to put me on the right track and reassure me that I can achieve anything.

Advice to Management

To continue helping and supporting our staff / new starter's when going through training and each individual journey we come across. The time and effort being put into us is fab! Don't stop :)

Direct Line Group2019-02-01
  10. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Motor Sales Consultant in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

At DLG, despite the size of company, the open door policy makes all employees feel like they belong. As as consultant, I have just as much access to my direct line manager and his manager and the centre manager as the next person. Because of this, I have never felt the need to put any issues past my direct line manager who is my Team Leader. The business is very customer focused and we are supported to ensure that... our customers receive the best service possible. We the staff are not ignored either. We are supported both at work and on a personal level and I personally have never felt that I cannot go to my line manager with any issues, work or otherwise. Make no mistake, the expected standard is really really high and you have to put in the hard work, this is a fair expectation in my opinion and the rewards are fair as well. If you put your heart into your work and do what is expected of you, you will find this a really great place to work. This is coming from someone who has absolutely no background in working at call centres!! The training is thorough and the support is constant. I am generally happy here. I am confident that as long as I do what is expected of me, I have job security.

Cons

It is a challenging role, but what isn't? The nature of the job means that you will have many ups and downs. On a personal note, there is nothing out of the ordinary that I would consider a con working here. It is just the normal challenges that come with the role I have.

Advice to Management

All I can say is that the support we get is much appreciated, both work and otherwise and please continue to treat us with the respect and the appreciation that we have come to see from you.

Direct Line Group2019-01-31