Direct Line Group "dlg" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2019

4.0
Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James

"Great place for starting your career but not somewhere you want to stay"

Current Employee - Claims in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great insurance benefits for employees, flexible shift patterns, opportunities to move to different areas of the company

Cons

One word: Management. Favoritism plays a big part in the company from what I’ve seen. A lot of new staff come and go because of this, the company makes no effort to keep employee’s at DLG and don’t give people a reason to stay. DLG will give you the warmest welcome then disregard you shortly after. No matter what department you join you are easily replaceable and that goes for every handler who works there

Advice to Management

Focus on employee’s not just customers. We deal with a lot on a day to day basis and there’s working environments where employee’s need to be treated more like adults. The department I work in is one of the worst and I won’t be staying much longer.

Direct Line Group2018-06-12

"Great Organisational Culture"

Current Employee - Insights Manager in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a company that cares about it's employees, I'm very happy here. The people I work with are lovely, and have been here for a long time meaning that they are happy in their jobs because it's a good place to work.

Cons

Can't be promoted in current role unless a specific role is vacant. That said, DLG is very pro internal secondments and job applications. So there is room to progress, but possibly not in actual role, unless your manager is leaving and you apply for their job.

Direct Line Group2018-05-03
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"A company that live by their values"

Current Employee - Pricing & Underwriting in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Teams are inclusive and friendly - Broad scope of work - Constantly challenging - Supported to develop - opportunities are endless!

Cons

There are no Cons of working at DLG

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here allows you bring all of yourself to work, which I think is really unique for an insurance business. The business has a great focus on diversity & inclusion, and well being, and there is a great attitude to flexible working. There are plenty opportunities for progression and the ability to try something completely different. The people here are great, so welcoming, and really add to making DLG what is it! I really enjoy working here, and would encourage anyone to make the move here - you wont regret it!

Cons

None that I can think of

"Working for DLG"

Current Employee - Digital PO in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The culture at DLG is definitely not what you would expect when you go to work in insurance. They really do encourage you to bring all your self to work, it can be more than just work, you can get involved with social teams, charities, sports club the list is endless. - There is so much opportunity for growth and development. Recruitment will always try and promote within where ever possible, and sitting in on other business areas to develop more skills is encouraged. - Ofcourse flexible working is a massive advantage!! DLG offer working from him when ever needed and will allow you to work from a different office when ever possible.

Cons

Not all of the departments are fully onboard with the flexible working as of yet, but it is increasing massively! If you are a new starter you may want to ask this question before you start to ensure it is possible in your area of work.

Direct Line Group2018-04-26

"Brilliant place to work, transformational leadership and vision"

I have been working at Direct Line Group

Pros

DLG is brilliant at allowing individuals  to develop and prosper across all business units, using coaching, mentoring and support to allow individuals(me) to reach my full potential Working in the GreenFlag business unit is has all the principles of a modern start close knit team but with help, support and guidance of a massive foward thinking business The team with the GreenFlag team and the wider business who support, encourage and help Our principles put the customer and the staff of the business at the heart of what we do and that's lived and modelled by the SLT so dead easy to follow Expertise and knowledge within the teams is awesome and people are willing to help and support and if not we have many partners who support us to deliver our goals

Cons

We don't tell enough people how great a place DLG really is to work

Advice to Management

None just more of the same

Direct Line Group2018-04-17

"Generally good place to work"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in London, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits (50% off car insurance, free travel insurance and a good pension) Relaxed atmosphere and employees given freedom to make their own decisions (no micro management). Big company with lots of development opportunities. Seems to genuinely care about employees. Some very experienced and talented people work here. Senior management very approachable which is great and honest conversations are encouraged.

Cons

Salary is not the best. Central (HR organised) training is good but local regional training is woeful. Too much cost cutting / use of offshore. DLG employees don't want jobs going offshore, brokers don't want to deal with offshore so why do it! Management / structure confusing and widespread use of an incredible amount of acronyms which of course new staff don't understand. Middle management reactive rather than proactive.

Advice to Management

Improve the job specific training and cut down on offshore usage. Keep up the good work on looking after employees.

Direct Line Group2017-09-06

"DLG Graduate Scheme"

Current Employee - Graduate in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. People within DLG hold true to the companies values. Good work life balance. Treated with respect and given responsibility from the beginning. Managers take a real interest in your development and progress. Constantly receive feedback and areas for development. To summarise it is an amazing company to work for!

Cons

DLG’s first graduate scheme, so the process has not always been smooth and it is not entirely clear what the overall aim for graduates is after they complete scheme. i.e. will they be given managerial or roles with greater responsibility following completion of the scheme? How can graduates continue to progress within DLG following the graduate scheme, continue to better themselves and what opportunities are there? Despite this, it is an extraordinary company and HR who run the graduate programme make every effort to seek out feedback and continually improve the scheme on an ongoing basis. I would highly recommend DLG to any graduate aspiring to be fulfil their full potential!

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge and push graduates enabling them to grow. Continue to give feedback to graduates.

Direct Line Group2017-05-10
  10. "Specialist Recruitment Team Leader"

Current Employee - Specialist Receruitment Team Leader in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group part-time

Pros

Excellent employer Supportive of employees change in circumstances, working hours, workload management Openly encourages career development and training Strives to make employees DLG journey a rewarding experience Open door culture from the Leadership team with a clear vision of future goals Excellent benefits package and approach to flexible working

Cons

Sometimes the location of our offices can discourage people from considering us as an employer, however I would recommend looking into the location as there are great links from the south east and central london.

Direct Line Group2017-05-10
  11. "Claims Advisor"

Former Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Leeds, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very central Leeds office. Good benefits.

Cons

DLG talks the talk re being customer connected but forgets this should include being connected within as well. Too much inconsistency within management/team leaders. At the end of the day just another call centre.

Direct Line Group2017-04-11