Direct Line Group "dlg" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 10, 2019

4.0
Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James

"good place to start full time working"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

benefits are really good , discounts of DLG products and average bonus potential .

Cons

on the phones is back to back is tiring , bonus keeps getting cut .

Direct Line Group2017-03-08
  2. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a great culture to work with - not what you may expect from an insurance company. People are passionate about DLG being a success. Lots of opportunity to develop and make a difference here. Lots of investment in learning and capability. HRD keeps it real - really great leader, an asset to our business.

Cons

We don't always get it right, but we are also not afraid to put our hands up and say where we went wrong and then focus on the solution and learning from mistakes.

Direct Line Group2016-11-23
  3. "Graduate Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere and there is a real emphasis on the employee experience and ensuring that employees have a good work life-balance, which has been really impressive.

Cons

As this was the first graduate programme that DLG has run in a number of years, it was slightly rushed and the recruitment process could have been smoother, however given the amount of time they had, they did a good job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing would be the main piece of advice that I would offer to management as my experience here at direct line group so far has been highly positive.

Direct Line Group2016-10-04

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Graduate Analyst in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

From my point of application to DLG to my offer of my employment, i have been handled in a professional and uncompromisingly pleasant manner. Despite being at the bottom of the career ladder as it were, the CEO of DLG even had the time to leave me a personal video message. Anyone looking for stimulating and exciting employment should look no further than DLG. If every recruiter was as awesome as Rhianna Mohamed the world would have universal employment.

Cons

First year of a Graduate scheme may be daunting to some

Advice to Management

Continue forging the path that the company is already following, seek new talent at every opportunity and never let the companies core values slip.

Direct Line Group2016-09-16
  5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Bromley, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Once separated from the bureaucracy associated with being part of a big bank, DLG began to make great strides in becoming a great place to work.

Cons

Can't really think of anything, great atmosphere, great facilities!

Advice to Management

Great work, keep it up!

Direct Line Group2016-02-14

"Big challenges but bearable (Best 4 Customer programme)"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work life balance - Good package of benefits - Reasonable starting salary - Good HR and support - B4C has the attention of the whole business so there is a big focus on delivering it - Some leadership are trying to tackle key issues within the programme, such as blame culture, silo working - Clear on how to get training and professional development - People are open to mentoring - If you network well you will see lots of opportunities within the business - Conserted effort by leadership in CIO to communicate and be transparent

Cons

- Way too much politics and turf wars between product owners, work streams and other areas of the business - very us and them. - A majority of the programme are 3rd party suppliers or contractors, including leadership, who keep their head down, blinkers on and do as much as needed to stick to the contract. - Company culture/values suffer substancially because there's no buy in from 3rd parties or contractors - There are known bad/disruptive leaders who are 3rd parties but no effort being made to replace them - The programme has forgotten that DLG are the customer and many are being walked over by the 3rd parties, talked to disrespectfully etc - Some leadership talk the talk and walk the walk, but it's few. Leadership who demontrate destructive practices like bullishness, threatening behaviours, blame and embarassment go unchallenged. Everyone else feels that they must rise to this level of communication because they go unchallenged - and they wonder why the culture isn't changing... - Professional growth not reflected in the wage packet, it's like they want to train people up to prepare them for their next role somewhere else - No punishment for negligence meaning everyone is pretty relaxed about failure, mainly because majority are 3rd parties who have already had their contracts signed - Silo mentality being driven by there being no one to string deliverables and timelines together - chaos, mistrust, frustration are all palpable on phone calls. - A general attitude of acceptance of failure and no desire to deliver to timelines as slippage/failure has been normalised/rebranded.

Advice to Management

- "The business" need to take a step back and support the programme delivery, not constantly interrupt it, which has lead to scope creep and over complexity in the delivery. - Consider a strategy of putting only permanent employees in positions of authority who will drive the cultural change you are seeking. Contractors will not do this. - Talented / ambitious / concientious employees will leave or are currently looking, as is happening, because they care about the future of the company but do not see themselves as part of that future. Very few are on this for the long term.

Direct Line Group2015-10-29

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Bristol, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bonuses, sharesave BAYE, GAYE, profit sharing (when DLG was RBS)

Cons

Stressful, poor management, no work-life balance

Advice to Management

Please respect your employees and treat them as you would like to be treated

Direct Line Group2015-11-17

"Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Bromley, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Unfortunately, as of right now there are no positives left. A strategic decision to employ loads of contractors and start a major offshoring transition has made it clear that the company isn't interested in long term permanent staff. Perhaps more a sign of the times than DLG specifically

Cons

Overall strategy in my area is for short term financial gains via offshoring as opposed to better quality in the long term. No real scope for professional growth/development. Lots of contractors with little to no interest in retaining permanent staff. Clear strategy to cut down staff.

Advice to Management

Please think twice about offshoring. Yes it may save you money in the short term, but long term it is known to fail more often than it succeeds - this is well documented. Morale is already low and this is making things worse.

Direct Line Group2015-05-03
  9. "Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Claims Adviser in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is fantastic, always something exciting happening. I don't think I will ever leave DLG. - great pay - excellent training - rewards - very friendly and open minded staff (I am gay and it was embraced from everyone who I met working there) - 2 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, plus a 15 minute team huddle a day.

Cons

Can't fault the company at all. Since ive started we have completely been cut off from RBS and from what I've heard from other employees that have been there longer. The company is so much better off.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Direct Line Group2015-02-15

"Good company, lot of exciting things around the corner"

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working for DLG close to 3 years and during that time seen many changes. The company have been extremely succesful in seperating from RBS and now, nearly 3 years later, are making huge steps to stand out in the market. Great company with alot of exciting things to come. Great Benefit package and opportunities to be a part of something new and exciting for the future

Cons

I've seen this on other reviews and the reward of staff is still a sticking point. Althought reward is currently being reviewed so this may change.

Advice to Management

Work together across functions, sometime collaboration is missing.

Direct Line Group2015-01-14