Direct Line Group "team leaders" Reviews | Glassdoor

Direct Line Group Employee Reviews about "team leaders"

Updated Oct 11, 2019

Found 490 reviews

4.0
Direct Line Group CEO Penny James
Penny James
Pros
  • "Work life balance and understanding outside commitments to family(in 51 reviews)

• "Really good company with a lot of room for progression with really good benefits(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Bromley is a bit tough to get to(in 23 reviews)

• "DLG Salary < Central London Salary(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "team leaders"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "An okay place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Doncaster, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are amazing, the job gets easier, good pay

Cons

The hours aren’t brilliant. The cliques The only way of progressing would be a team leader route

Advice to Management

Pay more to staff that stay longer. The basic Salary is usually increased but nothing for existing staff? Loyalty means nothing to staff and customers.

Direct Line Group2019-09-10

September 24, 2019Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi there, thank you for leaving your review and for your feedback. It is worth looking at our online learning portal for any areas you wish to progress and develop yourself further... this can be accessed in and outside of work. Rewarding our staff is important to us and we are constantly reviewing our reward package, benefits and salary.

2. "Good to average"

Current Employee - Motor Claims Handler in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to do compressed hours, discounted insurance. Great people.

Cons

Inconsistent team leaders, poor pay rises

Advice to Management

Consistency, better IT systems required.

Direct Line Group2019-07-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Disappointed!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Castle Donington, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time

Pros

good pension, free hot chocolates and coffee and some nice members of staff who do actually want to work and do well.

Cons

The training was terrible and a waste of time as the trainer spent more time chatting to other members of staff,turned up nearly 2 hours late as hungover and having competitions on who can fit the most food in there mouth.There is so much to learn with this role and alot is learning as you go along but you only get shown and told the basics then off you go to stumble through the calls. On occasions when i was unsure... what to do i did'nt get the support needed as i had to ask for help every 5 minutes, and was asked to do things ive not even been shown how to do so constantly pestering other CSA's to stop what there doing and show me. I asked for help a couple of times and was ignored including when i didnt know how to map the s drive for the shared email box and was told in a snappy voice by the team leader you have the email for that, the email contained the link but i didnt know how to do it and neither did any other CSA's when i asked. The office at times was unprofessional with staff spending more time on facebook,chatting and messing about including the team leader when the time could have been spent sitting with me to watch over my work and help where needed. Parts of the job were not explained at the interview like the fact you will have to go out to see customers cars to check the damage,tyres,horn etc.... to make sure everything is working then take photos. Times i would be on the phone to a customer with people shouting and swearing in the background or the cleaner ramming the hoover under your desk as your trying to hear the customer on the other end of the line. After reading all the good reviews on here im really disappointed at my experience and have to share what i seen as unfortunately it was not that great.

Direct Line Group2019-07-02

July 3, 2019Recruitment Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's disappointing to hear that you've had this experience at DLG and you didn't get the onboarding and induction that we aim to give all new joiners. We'd like to look into some of the points you've raised, if you would be happy to get in touch with the HR team we can discuss this further.

5. "How to make friends and influence people"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay is adequate for the job. The unit managers are engaged and the CEO is approachable (Penny James). The locations is good for alternative methods of transportation than driving as there is no parking or subsidised parking. Always trying new things to motivate the call centre agents such as free fruit and promotional merchandise etc. Friendly agents and a load of diveristy in who works there.

Cons

Sickness and their disciplinary plans are very heavy handed even when medical evidence is submitted. Only the right people can achieve career progression. Many good agents get overlooked because they don’t fit in with the team leader demographics, regardless of continual outstanding performanc. Some team leaders seem to penalise some members more than others, favourism is a big thing in DLG.

Advice to Management

Mostly a good place to work but there needs to be a wider selection of agents ‘stepping up’ and not the same ones over and over. How will you know there is a hidden gem if you don’t give them a go? Don’t tar all with the same brush when it comes to sickness. An 18 y.o triggers cannot be compared to someone who has pre-existing medical conditions and the constant worry of being one of the annual ‘kull’ that occurs... before the quieter months (I have seen this over many years, not just spectaculation).

Direct Line Group2019-04-01
  6. "Pay good but Long hours"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Competitive salary with good bonus 2. Good team culture 3. Some supportive management

Cons

1. Long shifts, 8.5-9 hour days, when most of this spent on the phone 1 day can feel like a year. 2. Team leaders are all best mates and most have this idea that they are the best human beings to walk the Earth. They seem to forget they are on the bottom rung of management in a call centre. 3. The worst thing is the clicky/ high school like nature of the building I work in. There are a lot of young people and if... you’re not wearing the best clothes or in with the “coolest” people you’re on the outer ring a of the staff.

Advice to Management

1. Keep an eye on team leaders, some can actively want to manage people out if they don’t work for them personally. 2. Stop basing team leader bonuses on their teams stats, it means they put ridiculous pressure on their team to hit targets which stresses people out and makes them not want them to work. 3. Try to look at a way of balancing hours better, 9 hour days are too long at a call centre.

Direct Line Group2018-12-27

January 14, 2019Recruitment Marketing Consultant

Hi there, We appreciate you taking the time to write us such a detailed review. We will pass your comments over to the relevant teams and want to thank you again.

"Great place / Could do with improvement"

Current Employee - Third Party Claims Handler in Leeds, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast progression Great company benefits, sick pay, half price insjrnace, breakdown, additional pension scheme. Fun and rewarding Not too much pressure

Cons

Team leaders have thier favourites to progress within a role. Long shifts

Direct Line Group2018-03-27
  8. "Good start then went down hill"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Doncaster, England

I worked at Direct Line Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team and good perks. Training for the role was excellent. Half price car and home insurance and free coffee

Cons

No trust from team leaders Treated like at school Unable to leave desk despite been physically ill Lack of respect from team leader

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with more respect and support

Direct Line Group2018-03-28

"Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales in Bristol, England

I have been working at Direct Line Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with Nice new office Good benefits

Cons

Constant reductions in bonus, even though execs say when the company does well so do the staff, but we made 610 million profit this year, I call BS on that. Get told the company is all about doing more for less, nice to see too level managers and execs get bigger and bigger bonuses each year and what they mean is consultants should do more work and get paid less. There is no progression here, I have personally... seen someone on a 2 year secondment at team leader position and at the end of doing a great job not even get the position, but during secondment you don't get better pay, you keep your existing salary and you then don't get to earn your bonus, so more work and led pay.... again. Although they have increased salaries to 18k for everyone this year, Bristol is the second most expensive place to live in the country so many still struggle to pay bills and feed themselves with the cost of rent here. Maybe pay more depending on cost of the area you have your office, probably would take much out the 610 mil you made! Wasted lots of money moving to a new office which is smaller with so few seats we could not expand even if we wanted to and so cramped in now customers get angry because it's so noisy being a few feet away from each other and always swapping desks means colds spread like wild fire! Only progress if you are matey with the right people and do cheap loads of work outside of your hours. You can get stuck on a call for 10 mins after your shift and don't get paid it but get reprimanded if 1 min late in the next day. Total micky take with that. This list could go on really...

Advice to Management

Just read the cons and work on it but I hold no hope

Direct Line Group2018-03-11

April 20, 2018Recruitment Marketing Manager

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your role with us so far. We are glad to see you have had a good experience with your team, the benefits that we offer and our newly refurbished Bristol office! We are sorry to hear your thoughts on our bonus policy and pay, hopefully the news that was announced in March where every single employee got at least £650 pay increase as well as £500 free shares can show that we are sharing our success with all employees. We will take your feedback on board and appreciate your time.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Motor Sales, Service & Payments Consultant in Doncaster, England

I worked at Direct Line Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

50% off car, home and pet insurance. Benefits galore. Well paid.

Cons

You're treated like you're in school. Team leaders and floor managers are all best friends, so good luck if you ever have a grievance with one of them. You get bullied by management and to cover it up they usher you off to another floor. Team leaders are your best mates when it benefits them and when you're willing to do their work for them. Don't expect to get anywhere unless you're willing to work extra hours for... free, do other people's work and stick your nose so far up a managers bum you can smell what they're about to eat for breakfast.

Advice to Management

Start to actually care about mental health and deal with the amount of bullying that goes off in the building, including bullying from your team leaders.

Direct Line Group2018-04-04

"Ok"

Claims Handler in Manchester, England

I worked at Direct Line Group

Pros

Good company ethos - aim higher etc. Good recognition and generally a good team atmosphere.

Cons

Progression - beyond claim handling there would be limited progression options I.e. only a few senior/ team leader positions.

Direct Line Group2017-11-30

December 1, 2017Specialist Recruitment Consultant

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Direct Line Group, we really appreciate it.

Found 490 reviews