DirectBuy Reviews | Glassdoor

DirectBuy Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people (for the most part) love the atmosphere (in 10 reviews)

• Enjoyed fellow associates and work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No weekends off ever, high pressure sales, high employee turnover, excessive training 3 hours a day 5 days a week, and no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Late nights no room for advance company closing down most locations already have (in 6 reviews)

1. "Downhill"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Portage, IN

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay for entry level.

Cons

Management is horrible. Enforced mandatory overtime. No sick days. Benefit package is a joke.

Advice to Management

You can't have a happy customer if you don't have happy employees. Rethink your structure and how you talk to employees. No more lies!!

"The NIGHTMARE working at DirectBuy"

Former Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a few wonderful coworkers.

Making connections with various people at different vendors.

Cons

*Having other people's work thrown to you because they were incompetent and could not do it themselves. Thus setting yourself back on your own work and getting yelled at by the members. And after all that while still being behind, the team leaders assign you even more work knowing very well that you are sinking and they are just making it worse.

*Management and Team Leaders had you give insufficient or false information to the members over the phone, "If they don't ask, don't tell". Especially when clubs close down and members call in, they gave you scripts to read with the objective to get the member onto a very topic by being sneaky and trying to end that specific conversation as soon as possible.

*Employees are micromanaged as hell, more than they should be. After you end a call you should be noting everything down by creating a complete ticket with all the information regarding the member you just spoke to, (ie: what they asked for, what they need, what you will be doing, their contact information, etc) however as soon as you hit 2-3 minutes of being off of the phone you get messaged by all the team leaders, managers, and workforce to hurry up and take another call. They don't really care about you helping out the members, they just don't want a high call volume otherwise it looks bad.

*People working here will stab you in the back. Employees will talk about each other behind their backs, especially different departments against other departments.

*You have to do things that weren't in your job description. Example, as a Concierge Agent you shouldn't be directly trying to make a sale. However they had a trial (which they said wouldn't be mandatory) but they told the employees that once they got to the end of a call with a member to ask them if they would be interested in signing up for 'DirectBuy Travel'. Like I said, they said it wouldn't be mandatory however they changed it and started threatening their workers saying they would be writing people up if they did not ask every member this. To make things even worse, we (concierge agents) sounded like idiots because we had absolutely no knowledge of DirectBuy Travel. We did not know the workers, the price of the service, NOTHING! Our managers and team leaders would not give us this extra information because it was not our department yet we had to bait the member in and get them to transfer to some other department outside of our own Corporate Building. If we failed to ask the members this question, not only would people get written up, but points would also get taken off on our Quality Assurance evaluations.

Advice to Management

Respect your workers.

Also learn the quote "a happy worker is a great/productive worker"

Quit playing favorites and actually promote people that deserve it.

Quit trying to be like Amazon... you are not them...

3. "collections/contract processor"

Former Employee - Contract Processor in Lowell, IN
    Former Employee - Contract Processor in Lowell, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to move up to a certain point with in the company. I worked in an office environment where we all pretty much got along. Helped each other out when needed. Worked with processing contracts, and verifying information. (research i love) Then when the members could no longer make arrangements I helped them with the closing process.

Cons

Family owned business was sold. Then the Stores/businesses were closing around the US and Canada. The customers you couldn't help due to a signed contract was very frustrating.

Advice to Management

none

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Franchise owners were great to work with

Cons

CEO theif and fraud .. He came in and change concept completely trashed company then took 6 figure pay and now conpany bankrupt.. But that is his job to trash companies after takes their money..thief is mild for him

Advice to Management

Sorry your company was trashed by such a rip off conartist he knew exactly what he was doing..

6. "Sales Rep."

I worked at DirectBuy part-time

Pros

For buyers likely to spend a considerable amount of money on home improvements, from furniture and flooring to new kitchen and bathrooms, the cost of membership is well worth it.

Cons

High pressure sale to potential members. Low commissions. Base pay is at the discretion of the franchisee.

Advice to Management

Pay better commissions.

"Micromanagement"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time

Pros

Working with the people, benefits

Cons

I love what I do but management is a joke. They are constantly changing things and don't communicate well.

Not all holidays are off

Different departments get different treatment.

Advice to Management

Be consistent
    Communication is key

"Lead Generator"

Former Employee - Lead Generator in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Generator in Edison, NJ

I worked at DirectBuy (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were really great and supporters

Cons

I worked in the call center, and it was the worst job I ever had. Management was horrible,and I got so stressed out I ended up in the hospital. There was so much pressure to get members. I was let go after 7 months. They ended up closing after I keft.

"Concierge Agent"

Former Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hard-working staff. Good benefits, i.e., medical & dental insurance, 401k plans, some incentive pay.

Cons

Mandatory O/T on the fly, work most major Holidays, inadequate staffing/scheduling, outdated systems, micro-management.

Advice to Management

Employees are your best asset. In an effort to provide member service, be careful not to ignore the needs of the staff.

10. "Great People!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Merrillville, IN

Pros

Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision. 401k with employer contribution. PTO with generous holiday schedule. Enjoyed fellow associates and work environment.

Cons

Inconsistent message delivered by upper management to employees about status of the company. Pay scales need to be reviewed across the entire organization and leveled up.

"Bait and switch"

Pros

I cannot think of anything good to say

Cons

This was a horrible company to work for. They would tell customers they could only join the club if they paid 5k right after an informational tour of the facility. I was disgusted with their tactics