DirectBuy Reviews | Glassdoor

DirectBuy Reviews

Updated July 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people (for the most part) love the atmosphere (in 10 reviews)

• Enjoyed fellow associates and work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Late nights no room for advance company closing down most locations already have (in 6 reviews)

• High pressure sale to potential members (in 5 reviews)

"Concierge Agent"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is fair, and most co workers are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

No work/ life balance. They implemented mandatory over time every single day- with really no no notice.

Management/ Workforce micromanage to a point that makes working here unbearable.

One of our Directors has made it a fear based workplace, where a majority of agents fear everyday they will be terminated at any time for little to no reason. He is rude and cold to a majority of employees, except the ones he calls his favorites.

Team Leaders and management, basically do not need to follow any company rules about calling off/ cellphones/ etc. However, if an agent even has their off and on their desk a team lead will threaten to write them up.

The company is obsessed with quantity over quality. They care more about the amount of work you do rather than the quality of work you are doing. They base everything off a touch points system.

They care as little about their employees as they do about their members.

They say there is room for advancement, and while it is partially true- only the "favorites" get promoted.

It does not matter how hard you work, how good your quality is, or how great your tp's- if our director/manager/or team leads don't like you (on a personal level) they make work miserable for you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, and then maybe your turnover rate Won't be so high.

Stop hiring any 18+ year old who walks into the building; you employee people who (even after training and months on the floor) have NO CLUE what they are doing- causing the agents who do know what they are doing to pick up on all the slack

Stop firing people, simply because you personally don't like them.

Essentially, I would compare this company to high school, where management are the bullies. Learn how to treat employees. Learn how to treat members.

If you continue at this rate, employees wont want to work for you and members wont want to continue their memberships.

How many members/employees have to complain before you change?

"Terrible Moral"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance & paid holidays is great other than that it was not a good company. There are no more pros for this company that I can add.

Cons

Moral is terrible in some departments, lack of training for employees!!!! No raise that was promised after 90 days. When you are promised a $1 raise after 90 be wise you took s pay cut and don't it that's unprofessional!!!

Advice to Management

If you want better performance work from employees, I would suggest to train them for two weeks like other departments do!
    The lack of moral is terrible along with the cliques whispering of people's mistakes instead of bringing it up to the employee and training them!

3. "Merchandise Specialist"

Pros

Great Co workers and team atmosphere

Cons

No room for growth

4. "They have a way to go before they're ready for Prime Time!"

I worked at DirectBuy full-time

Pros

Amazing concept, buying at cost makes sense!

Cons

Management has no idea how to market itself! They also have a history of throwing people under the bus!

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, lots of food days. Average pto/fto days full time employment 401k in pretty much just naming the basics for the 20 word minimum

Cons

Dishonest and unfair management. Employees are asked to be dishonest to members through scripts. Angry members calling because they were lied to

6. "Downhill"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Portage, IN

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay for entry level.

Cons

Management is horrible. Enforced mandatory overtime. No sick days. Benefit package is a joke.

Advice to Management

You can't have a happy customer if you don't have happy employees. Rethink your structure and how you talk to employees. No more lies!!

"The NIGHTMARE working at DirectBuy"

Former Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Concierge Agent in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a few wonderful coworkers.

Making connections with various people at different vendors.

Cons

*Having other people's work thrown to you because they were incompetent and could not do it themselves. Thus setting yourself back on your own work and getting yelled at by the members. And after all that while still being behind, the team leaders assign you even more work knowing very well that you are sinking and they are just making it worse.

*Management and Team Leaders had you give insufficient or false information to the members over the phone, "If they don't ask, don't tell". Especially when clubs close down and members call in, they gave you scripts to read with the objective to get the member onto a very topic by being sneaky and trying to end that specific conversation as soon as possible.

*Employees are micromanaged as hell, more than they should be. After you end a call you should be noting everything down by creating a complete ticket with all the information regarding the member you just spoke to, (ie: what they asked for, what they need, what you will be doing, their contact information, etc) however as soon as you hit 2-3 minutes of being off of the phone you get messaged by all the team leaders, managers, and workforce to hurry up and take another call. They don't really care about you helping out the members, they just don't want a high call volume otherwise it looks bad.

*People working here will stab you in the back. Employees will talk about each other behind their backs, especially different departments against other departments.

*You have to do things that weren't in your job description. Example, as a Concierge Agent you shouldn't be directly trying to make a sale. However they had a trial (which they said wouldn't be mandatory) but they told the employees that once they got to the end of a call with a member to ask them if they would be interested in signing up for 'DirectBuy Travel'. Like I said, they said it wouldn't be mandatory however they changed it and started threatening their workers saying they would be writing people up if they did not ask every member this. To make things even worse, we (concierge agents) sounded like idiots because we had absolutely no knowledge of DirectBuy Travel. We did not know the workers, the price of the service, NOTHING! Our managers and team leaders would not give us this extra information because it was not our department yet we had to bait the member in and get them to transfer to some other department outside of our own Corporate Building. If we failed to ask the members this question, not only would people get written up, but points would also get taken off on our Quality Assurance evaluations.

Advice to Management

Respect your workers.

Also learn the quote "a happy worker is a great/productive worker"

Quit playing favorites and actually promote people that deserve it.

Quit trying to be like Amazon... you are not them...

8. "collections/contract processor"

Former Employee - Contract Processor in Lowell, IN
    Former Employee - Contract Processor in Lowell, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to move up to a certain point with in the company. I worked in an office environment where we all pretty much got along. Helped each other out when needed. Worked with processing contracts, and verifying information. (research i love) Then when the members could no longer make arrangements I helped them with the closing process.

Cons

Family owned business was sold. Then the Stores/businesses were closing around the US and Canada. The customers you couldn't help due to a signed contract was very frustrating.

Advice to Management

none

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Franchise owners were great to work with

Cons

CEO theif and fraud .. He came in and change concept completely trashed company then took 6 figure pay and now conpany bankrupt.. But that is his job to trash companies after takes their money..thief is mild for him

Advice to Management

Sorry your company was trashed by such a rip off conartist he knew exactly what he was doing..

10. "Sales Rep."

I worked at DirectBuy part-time

Pros

For buyers likely to spend a considerable amount of money on home improvements, from furniture and flooring to new kitchen and bathrooms, the cost of membership is well worth it.

Cons

High pressure sale to potential members. Low commissions. Base pay is at the discretion of the franchisee.

Advice to Management

Pay better commissions.