Directors Guild of America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Taylor Hackford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Guild"

Pros

Best guild in the arts

Cons

I'm in the guild but do not work there.

2. "It's a fine place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Directors Guild of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free movies. great benefits for now.

Cons

cheap with employees, lots of rules. Big benefits for management and upper level staff.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally. Managers are treated horribly.

3. "DGA Producer Pension and Health Plan"

Pros

Great Benefits, Stress free work

Cons

Low Pay, Pretty Sterile Work Environment, boring

Advice to Management

Loosen up

4. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Directors Guild of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always lots of events going on and very plugged into the production/entertainment world. Lots of opportunity to network and great starting gig for anyone looking to understand how the entertainment industry works

Cons

Upper management can be a bit restricting on upper mobility, a bit socialist at times. Overall a solid place to start work if you are looking to break into entertainment and learn about one of the most powerful entertainment unions around.

"DGA PP&H"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Everyone kept mentioning the health benefits. Although, unless you regularly go to the doctor or have a family, you might not use them a lot.

Cons

Mundunane reptitive tasks, strict dress-code, work culture is not cohesive.

"Avoid"

I worked at Directors Guild of America full-time

Pros

*There are health benefits
    *The building is nice, and you get a parking sticker
    *The other co-workers are rather nice and many are very gifted and smart

Cons

While some managers are a dream, some suffer from poor communication and, in a few cases, megalomania. Paid time off is scant, and I witnessed that when I co-worker dared to use what little she had she was highly criticized by her manager. I learned within the first week that 3 out of 5 of my co-workers had already written their resignation letters and were waiting for the day they had a new job so they could hand it in. I was not told when I was hired that I would only be given one day off for the Christmas holiday my first year, and that I would have to co-ordinate that one day with others sharing my responsibilities who put in their holiday requests months earlier. Thankfully I left ahead of the holidays, and landed at a company that gives everyone two weeks off without question in December and without it coming out of your own vacation time.

They are very religious about your taking your fifteen minute breaks at very particular times, and allow internet use outside of their own sites and databases for only 30 minutes a day during your 60 minute lunch break. Your access is locked at all other times; it doesn't matter if the site you're looking up may be to assist a member. As they're a labor union, some of the strict rules made sense to cover their bases, but others hindered service to members and kept it feeling highly militaristic unnecessarily.

Advice to Management

You've hired great people; give them more autonomy, reward them with the paid time off that they deserve. Even if you're unable to raise their pay, even giving them 3-5 more days off per year could greatly heighten their job satisfaction and make them toss those pre-written resignation letters in the trash before you lose your top talent.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Directors Guild of America (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Employee health coverage is free and spouse/family coverage is provided at a low cost. Some fringe benefits, like the DGA Awards and movie screenings.

Cons

If you like to follow rules and can handle micro-management (level varies depending on department), you may be happy there. Several people within the organization are holy terrors. Disparity between lowest paid and executive level is *huge* and you better believe the employees know it. Work/life balance is not a concept here. Kid sick? Better come to work because your job is much more important if you ask them.

Advice to Management

To prevent further high turnover, increase salaries to show employees appreciation. Sure, a free meal and a holiday party is very nice, but people want to be paid in line with their work.

8. "DGA review"

Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Directors Guild of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work environment. quality co-workers. surrounded by talented directors. lots of good films.

Cons

no benefits for part-time workers. pay is average. schedule is variable.

Advice to Management

spend more time building relationships among the office.

"Every employee should be valued"

I worked at Directors Guild of America full-time

Pros

Employees have access to free movie screenings, a pension plan, and excellent healthcare. Fantastic employees at the middle be lower levels.

Cons

Old school mentality where there is no room for growth unless you are an executive. The rich continue to get richer at the DGA. There are a lot of educated, intelligent, and talented employees in the lower levels that will never have the chance to grow and will never be given the chance to shine or advance. There is a huge disparity between executives and lower level employees and it's noticeable.

Advice to Management

I have had a lot of jobs and never in my life have been at a company that blocks all employees from the Internet. It would prevent employees from doing their jobs at times and makes them feel like children.

Create mid-level positions for employees to grow into. People have started calling the DGA "Dreams Go Away." Not the reputation you want to have. I would have stayed if there had been more opportunities that fit my level of experience and more opportunities to learn. Many of the current employees have told me they feel the same and some of them are barely making ends meet.

"Toxic Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Directors Guild of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movie screenings. And, once a year on "employee appreciation day" they buy you lunch [i.e. you get to stand in line for 30 minutes at a free food truck].

Cons

1) Top Down management structure where the executives who make decisions over your daily work experience will never meet or interact with you. In the entire year and a half I worked there I never ONCE met with an executive face to face. (Christmas parties do not count; I'm talking about daily interaction at work.)

2) Loyalty is prized above all other attributes, even efficiency. This results in the classic problem of middle management more often than not being inexperienced, untrained, and untalented at managing people. Unfortunately they are your direct interface with the job.

3) The executives have no feedback system in place to address employees' concerns with poor middle management or other work environment issues.

4) Location should be considered (may not apply to all). Nowhere near a public transpo hub, the DGA is located where downtown Hollywood meets West Hollywood. For me, each day was LA rush hour traffic hell there and back.

5) A draconian internet access policy: NO access at all for employees. All internet sites 100% blocked. You must email human resources if you need access to a specific site and provide a reason why.

6) Additional internet policy that you are not to have any smartphone, tablet, or laptop open or operating at your desk. As if the preceding rule was not bad enough, they had to double down and add this too.

Advice to Management

Either employ a 3rd party management consulting firm or encourage your employees to form a bargaining unit and seek union representation. These are the most sure fire approaches that have a chance of aligning the DGA with 21st century pro-employee work culture. As of today they are a generation behind in thinking and in practice.