Disc Makers Reviews | Glassdoor

Disc Makers Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

3.1
Disc Makers CEO Tony van Veen (no image)
Tony van Veen
  1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - SEO/SEM Analyst

I have been working at Disc Makers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee friendly, fun products, great customers. Management encourages and supports individual professional advancement. There are plenty of team oriented goals and projects.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Disc Makers2019-09-09

"Great place until the last 5 years or more."

I worked at Disc Makers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In a dying industry , They still do give a raise and a bonus if you hadn’t committed any company infractions or been written up for any reason.

Cons

The Company is top-heavy in management which suck up all the salaries leaving crumbs for the regular employees. Besides the upper level management, you have senior directors, directors and then managers of departments. I’m not real sure what a “senior director” does except collect a huge salary. Directors also seem very unnecessary as managers could report directly to the Ops Manager. Once again all collect very... substantial salaries, and they continue too. Management does protect themselves and are rarely accountable for dept mistakes. If you work as an hourly employee , You can expect a weekly report card detailing all of your happy times sad times lateness and mistakes etc. all designed to affect your raise or bonus if you get one. You can also expect a low salary . This is bad for employee morale. If your in the print industry go to a union shop and double your pay. Management creates all sorts of busy work to justify their salaries. Upper management has Directors, Directors have managers and managers have team leaders and then you have the people that actually do the work. ,Daily meetings , graphs and charts, which do nothing but highlight the depts inefficiency or the mistakes that get repeated. In their endless quest to be a lean manufacturing company, the management seems clueless at times to their own fate . It is a dying industry.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers. I don’t mean free bagels and coffees

Disc Makers2018-02-13

"Back to Disc Makers!"

Current Employee - Silkscreen Printer in Pennsauken, NJ

I have been working at Disc Makers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Back to Disc Makers! I couldn't be more proud to return to Disc Makers. After leaving for 6 years to be at home for my adopted daughter I wanted to work with my hands and found a perfect fit in the CD plant, screen printing discs. I sold this product for nine years during my previous run with DM and now I'm getting a whole new appreciation for the technology, infrastructure and effort behind all these clients'... hard work. And that's coming from someone who discussed the processes literally thousands of times with independent artists and corporate clients alike. Now I am actually part of the manufacture, and can see and feel the efforts to focus on total quality from the efficient and thoughtful workspaces to the unsurpassed skill and integrity of the people working right next to me in the CD plant. I chose to work third shift(yes they are still making CDs and DVDs around the clock!) because, as an artist, I'm finding it invaluable to use my time off to create and staying up late to perform on the weekends won't be an issue, I can stay up all night! There are so many talented professionals here, and not just the Sound Lab, Authoring House and Design Studio but also the sales and marketing teams. (Shout out to the engineering dept., HR, and all the other unsung heroes who keep the lights on and the production flowing) I had a hunch it would be a good fit for me but I didn't feel the pride and fulfillment until I got here. I work for an American manufacturer servicing audio/video professionals and self-publishers around the world and I could not be more proud. Jim McGrath CD Printer

Cons

I must say there are a lot of carbohydrates in the FREE bagels they provide EVERYDAY. No carbs in the free coffee though.

Disc Makers2017-10-09
  4. "Great Comapny, Obsolete Medium"

Current Employee - CD/DVD Printer in Pennsauken, NJ

I have been working at Disc Makers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They are investing in opportunities like book manufacturing and online music distribution.

Cons

The flagship product, Compact discs, is an obsolete medium and sales are dropping rapidly.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the contributions of employees who are staying the course.

Disc Makers2017-10-18
  5. "Good Place To Build a Career"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Pennsauken, NJ

I have been working at Disc Makers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Theres a ton of mobility

Cons

Its a dying industry with an aging customer base

Disc Makers2017-10-10

"Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pennsauken, NJ

I have been working at Disc Makers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good mission. Good people. Good pay. Good benefits. Room for advancement. Casual and positive work environment.

Cons

Too much free coffee. Too many free bagels.

Disc Makers2017-08-17

"Sales Support Rep"

I worked at Disc Makers full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment Decent benefits

Cons

Mediocre pay Little room for advancement unless you want to do sales Dying Industry

Disc Makers2017-08-15
  8. "Good company"

I worked at Disc Makers

Pros

Friendly working environment with great mgmt team

Cons

A lot of deadlines with a lot of pressure

Advice to Management

None

Disc Makers2017-04-07
  9. "One of the better places I've worked."

I worked at Disc Makers full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits were good; health insurance, vision, dental, 401(k), free bagels in the morning, free coffee & cocoa all day/night, 25-cent sodas. Doing work for some of your favorite musicians is always a plus.

Cons

Optical media is in its twilight, cutbacks and layoffs are commonplace. Employee morale is nothing like it used to be.

Advice to Management

Recognize the value of the employees. Bring back Team Building events. Understand that low morale is no good for any company. The CEO could stand to walk around the facility, getting his hands dirty and get feedback personally from the employees, as the Owner used to do.

Disc Makers2017-01-25

"Good place for a job. Not a career."

I worked at Disc Makers

Pros

Good culture of employees. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Worked in a call center with lots of oversight. Minimum vertical or lateral mobility.

Disc Makers2016-03-08