Discount Tire Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Zuieback

Pros
  • Good pay compared to other tire places, flexible schedule if you are in college (in 35 reviews)

• They also almost exclusively promote from within (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours of standing but that about it for the cons (in 53 reviews)

• Hard work may be a downside to some (in 28 reviews)

1. "Discount Tire- Tire Technitian"

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Liberty, MO
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Liberty, MO

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

twice a year bonus, awesome company values

Cons

Wish we were open later

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great job to make a career out of."

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, with great image and values. They are concerned about their employees and want to give them a career.

Cons

Work is very hard, and you may work a lot of hours during the week, it's hard to have time to spend with your family.

Advice to Management

Overall superb, but a way to have more time with family and not always working. This would overall make everyone including employees and customers happier.

3. "Discount tire review"

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Garland, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to work here and the schedule is very flexible.

Cons

Employee's must have a clean face which means employee's must shave daily which becomes annoying.

5. "Great company that loves it's people"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Richland, SC

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, people, bonuses, parties, annual outings, integrity theres not enough good that can really be said about the way things are run at Discount

Cons

50+ hours a week, feels like you're trapped in groundhog's day every so often. Lost of young guys just looking to make money and take things no further

6. "It was the best place for the simple fact that it was fun to work at plus discounts on wheels and tires."

Former Employee - Service Technician in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Fishers, IN

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work.
    Get decent discounts on tires and wheels.
    The management and even the team was legitimately the best, they are understanding and have spirit everyday.

Cons

When I first started out and about five to six months in. One thing I did not like about this job was that it was physically demanding. If you're out of shape, it's the best place to get back in shape. And after a while of working at a physically demanding place, it starts to get physically and mentally draining.

"Tire technician"

Former Employee - Tire Tech in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Tire Tech in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and the pay is decent. The management is generally good and the work environment friendly, intuitive and passionate.

Cons

Long labor intensive shifts can take a toll on you. Management can become a problem but corporate generally has a handle on badanagers quickly.

Advice to Management

Create a better structure for handling the work load.

8. "Great first job, but thats about as far as it goes."

Former Employee - Tire Technician in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Tire Technician in Carson, CA

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No experience required, paid training, you become extremely knowledgeable in tires and how to analyze them, employee discount is nice. good first job but I'd start looking after a while

Cons

Depending on the location, coworkers can be very cliquey. Lots of shop talk and trash talking, the amount of times i could have filed a report to human reaources is absurd, i never did because I'm not "that guy," but eventually someone that doesn't like whats being said will. Insane bay times (time vehicles are needed in and out, 15 minutes max..) put a lot of physical stress on techs and mental on Service coordinators/ crew chief, many customers can become sour and heated when the store gets slammed with cars which happened quite often and results in late closing times.. the Carson location is by far the busiest you'll ever witness. Assistant managers and SC's can be very unfriendly about taking your mandatory breaks or lunches.. They'll watch time you and watch you like a hawk so you can get back to slaving asap. Management expects you to move fast and with "urgency" as I've been told. Tahoes and larger vehicles with big chrome/heavy rims or duallys are a pain and strain you physically. These vehicles need appropriate bay times. The balancing machines either dont have the lift assist or it doesn't work. And if you decide to use a working one. Your lovley coworkers may deem you as "weak" or call you a female dog for using it rather than hurting your back like they want you to. Dress code is absurd. Anything more than a 5 o' clock shadow and you'll either be sent home or forced to shave before you can clock in, always tuck in your shirt and make sure they're clean. I had my manager tell me to replace my shirts because the little logo was grey instead of white from normal use; yet they were just washed. If you can't hang with their high level speedy standards, you'll be fired within a month. Be careful of coming in late. Managers have no pity for you even if you work another job and go to school nearly full time. They don't care to be flexible with you even if you have an extreme schedule like i once did. For this reason i was denied 3 possible pay raises during my 3/4 month review. My performance started to slow a little due to fatigue from work, school, and another job, but management didn't care.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to give your guys some slack. A lot of these guys have enough going on in their day to day lives. The absurd bay times need to be more realistic in all honesty. Stop accepting vehicles early if you know your guys aren't going to make it home on time because the store is slammed, Who cares if the customers complain, going home at 8pm when the store closes at 6 is not right. Mandatory breaks and lunches should be respected and you shouldn't have your sc reminding you every 30 seconds how much time you have left of your break. That isn't right.

9. "Hard but good work for ambitious youth"

Current Employee - Tire Technician in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Tire Technician in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Discount Tire (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay is higher than most youth type jobs.
    -Holiday bonuses.
    -Constantly moving around.
    -Managers and above are all hired from within company great for moving up.
    -Really do care about taking care of customers and making sure they are safe.

Cons

-Hard work may be a downside to some.
    -Some days hours are long and customers can be a real pain

10. "Looking for uneeded stress?"

Former Employee - Tire Technician in Groveport, OH
    Former Employee - Tire Technician in Groveport, OH

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, 401k, consistency, excellent nine to five job, easy to work with, some employee perks (some employee appreciation), very educating.

Cons

Awful management, total disrespect for employees that are not management, long road to full-time employment (4+ years), disregard for employees private life, constant harassment from managment.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, they do the work and keep you employed.

11. "Good company"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not hard, easy to learn.

Cons

Too much micro managing from all different angles.

Advice to Management

get more involved