Discount Tire Reviews | Glassdoor

Discount Tire CEO Michael Zuieback
Michael Zuieback

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours, but hard work pays off in the end" (in 76 reviews)

• "Be ready for hard work and long days at busy stores" (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Absolutely phenomenal!!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator Third Man in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator Third Man in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They way they take care of their people.

Cons

Hard work but fun environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to coach and inspired and strive to keep the dream alive for others

2. "manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A people first company that has a family culture

Cons

I can not think of any

Advice to Management

adapt to industry changes quicker

3. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Discount Tire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount Tire is like a huge family. Takes care of its people and an exciting place to work with tons of opportunity for growth. Best company to work for!

Cons

This sounds cliche but I can’t think of any. Just like any job/career, there is always a tab bit of stress. But without it, it would be boring.

Advice to Management

Let’s not forget our roots and keep taking this company in the direction we’ve been going. We all miss Bruce Halle but the company is still in great hands with Michael Zuieback leading us.

4. "Best Job"

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time

Pros

Great environment
    Great hours
    Decent pay
    Room for growth

Cons

Starting pay is a little low for doing such hard work

5. "You get back what you put into it."

Current Employee - Apprentice Tech in Yukon, OK
    Current Employee - Apprentice Tech in Yukon, OK

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotions from within, raises, comradery, very accommodating to college schedule, MANY benefits of going into full-time management.

Cons

Long hours, sometimes it can be hard to see eye to eye with other techs, not much free time outside of work when working all-day shifts.

Advice to Management

Apprentice Techs definitely need more time on the counter. Understand that mistakes will happen, correct the mistake and we will move forward and work to make sure they do not happen again. Make sure the techs understand Mr. Halle's beliefs, and help us to use Discount Tire to not only serve people, but to accomplish our own DREAMs.

6. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Backroom Team Leader in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Backroom Team Leader in Grove City, OH

I worked at Discount Tire part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, amazing employees/friends, good bonuses

Cons

Extreme weather conditions never comfortable, physically draining, low pay, never left as scheduled, always busy

Advice to Management

Schedule more people, get better heaters/ac, pay more

7. "Apprentice Technician"

I have been working at Discount Tire part-time

Pros

Great people and good pay

Cons

Very exhausting mentally and physically

"Discount Tire"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Discount Tire (More than 5 years)

Pros

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE WORK. Strong Company! You learn how to communicate with customers, work in a hectic environment, and how to deal with tough situations. Christmas and summer bonuses are nice (couple hundred dollars for part time and about a thousand and up for fulltime/mgmt). Also there are some good mentors to learn from. Most Store Managers and AVP/VPs are actual cool professional people.

Cons

Where do I start. Their culture is failing, in the years I worked there I saw so many people just leave including A LOT OF YOUNG management. This is always a bad sign. Why are your future leaders leaving so often...? P.S. I was there for years and got to App Tech the step right before Assistant manager because I refused to accept the full time promotion offer (which was flattering). Lets go over some of the problems, They WILL try to change your schedule, even if you tell them your availability. They ALL HATE what they do, I worked with and I stay in contact with MANY current and ex employees, they all hate it. Because misery loves company and they see 20 cars on the list, it doesn't matter if it is your day off, or if your schedule says you leave at a certain time, THEY WILL ALWAYS WANT YOU TO STAY. Classic lines from Discount Tire Mgmt "Can you do one more car" "Let me see your college schedule" (as if that matters if you want to work part time?) "Hey your really ******* us if you leave right now". The management is usually only a high school graduates and when they have worked 5-10-15-20 years for discount tire, they cant fathom that maybe some of their employees do not want to work as tire guys their entire life. THE WORK IS RIDICULOUS, I like most employees started as a tire tech and through the years I worked up to sales/and being a service Coordinator. No matter what you are never fast enough, I found myself yelling at my techs because of the pressure, I turned into the thing I use to despise at one point. It is so busy that they typically do not allow you to take lunches on Friday or Saturday and give you 5 minutes.... let me repeat that 5 minutes to eat. Think of this, literal 9-12 hour days with no lunches, even though this is very illegal. People are in bad moods all the time, always argue, gossip, and the quality of people you work with at Discount tire rarely have the same integrity as more white collar companies. THERE IS NO, NO NO NO NO NOOOOO Work life balance, you will hate your life, all you get is Sundays for body, mind and soul recovery. The pay for the first level of full time is maybe 36-38k a year.... btw you will be working 50-60 HARD hours for that salary, I left discount and immediately used my degree to work 40 hours a week for 42k a year, and guess what I leave right at 8 hours, I dont get dirty, and I have my weekends free. This is not a good place to work, and the only thing worth staying for is the store manager position which takes at least 8-15 years to get (MAYBE) if you are the right guy for the job, or you could get a bachelors degree, apply your brain and make more without worry in a quarter of the time. This is a good right out of High School job for like a year or two, but dont let them talk you into moving on with the company if you are truly not passionate about it, I saw them sell the "Dream" to every single person who could at least count to 3. If you value work life balance, college, and quick high paying growth, do not make this a career.

Advice to Management

Run 2 separate shifts, stop working your guys like your 1890 steel barons, if your going to have grown men work on Saturdays away from the family as "Assistant Managers" why not just start paying them 40-45k, you know how hard those guys work, you would keep at least some more talent.

9. "Tire Technician"

I worked at Discount Tire part-time

Pros

Great coworkers, fun environment, good management, random bonus

Cons

Lunch break is short, only 1 throughout the whole day.

"Good company, lots of hours"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Discount Tire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, good culture.

Cons

Lots of hours, lots of stress, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Listen to your people