DiscoveRx Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd R. Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great biotechnology workplace"

I have been working at DiscoveRx full-time

Pros

Great smart colleagues. Fascinating work. Opportunity to be involved with and learn a lot about different parts of a business. Chance to make a difference. Good work life balance. Good culture.

Cons

Plenty of work, can be too much at times. Not always someone there to tell you how to do it. Compensation tends to be a bit low (but reasonably good benefits and work life balance).

"scientist"

I worked at DiscoveRx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company location is good. Not a good company for everyone

Cons

Not much care for employee. High turnover

"Not a fairy tale at all."

Former Employee - Ops in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Ops in Fremont, CA

I worked at DiscoveRx full-time

Pros

It's not all fairy tales at DiscoverX. Actually, it never was from the beginning from when I first started 'til the end. I've worked at DiscoverX for couple of years, AND the best thing about that company was how easy it was to make friends and enemies. Your friends at the company were basically the entire non-management. Your enemies were, of course, the upper-management (group leaders, supervisors, boss). Nonetheless, it was easy to talk to your friends without making it difficult or awkward. Upper-management made it difficult and awkward.

Cons

Everything about this company is wrong. Let me list a few.
    - Poor pay (at least 40% less from the average in the bay area).
    - I heard they implemented employee appreciation day... to build company culture and stabilize "bridges." That doesn't work 'cause management (group leaders, supervisors, etc) talk negatively and badly behind your back (the employees know). AND the way they treat their employees is just awful.
    - Inconsistency in what upper-management says and does.
    - Don't make employees stay late and come in on the weekends 'cause the group leader or whatever is behind on paperwork.
    - Upper-management don't do any work AT ALL. They (basically HE) browse the internet and talk majority of the time. Wasting company time. Take 2-3 hour lunches. Caught upper-management sleeping in their office many times.
    - Micromanages like crazy... it feels unreal.
    - They (OPs) say you have the opportunity to learn new experiences when in reality, you actually don't learn anything.. at all. You're better off at another company learning and gaining valuable experiences.
    - If you want to move up and learn new technical experiences (cell biology techniques, molecular, etc.), this company is not the one. It is utterly hard to move up or switch to other departments. I'd say try your luck with another company.

and those are a few complaints I have with this company (OPs). I can write an entire book of complaints about the department I was in... How I, and my fellow employees, were treated. It truly is heartbreaking.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and truly appreciate them. In return, your employees will do the same.
    Let the employees learn valuable experiences instead of just labeling, formulating and packaging 1000+ bottles and kits. AND hire more people. I know you guys are seriously understaff.

"Decent Overall"

Former Employee - Operations Scientist in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Scientist in Fremont, CA

I worked at DiscoveRx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many brilliant, passionate people across the company who put aside their ego to achieve common goals. Lay back work environment, GREAT co-workers, free snacks, good health benefits. Good NEW upper management team.

Cons

Immature, incapable, boastful, and very dis-encouraging MIDDLE management often talks politics and puts self-interests before the department and the company. Lacking upward mobility, and very slow career progression. Pays below market value.

Advice to Management

Senior management, please give dedicated people a chance to work on challenging projects and meaningful assignments; please use the right talents in the right places, and reward them.

"Very Positive, Enjoyable Company"

I have been working at DiscoveRx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DiscoverX is a great company to work for. My hiring process included thorough interviews with several key employees I would be engaging with, giving me a chance to get to know people before I decided to accept a job offer. The job offer was determined quickly and professionally. Since I have started here, I have DiscoverX to be a really enjoyable place to work. Everyone is very collaborative and open to new ideas and different ways of approaching problems. I have found the leadership of the company to bebvery focused and competent - they know how to communicate the goals & strategy of the company. It's easy to align what you do every day to where the company is headed. The leadership is also very empowering - new ideas are encouraged and you are given the freedom to implement & experiment.

Cons

There are three different sites, so you do need to learn how to communicate remotely with colleagues if they are not in your building every day.

"Terrible and Depressing"

I have been working at DiscoveRx full-time

Pros

The people whom you work with are nice and help you make it through the day. Great coworkers.

Health benefits aren't bad. There's also free snacks: chips, crackers, nuts, fruits, etc.

Cons

Upper management ignores your concerns and opinions. They undermine and override your explanation on issues that are affecting the function of work.

In efforts of saving money they don’t replace employees who have left and instead transfer voluminous amounts of duties onto already existing workers, exploiting and overworking them to the point of desiring termination. Instead of listening to workers about real issues, blame is put on their personnel for not meeting expectations (which are unrealistic).

Employees are lured into working longer hours and on off days, believing in told compensation for their time. However, these promises were unmet and employees are cheated of their time.

Company equipment are over at least 2 decades old. Knowledge, technique, and skill here are outdated for any valuable learning experience to be gained from a biotech company. In fact, the longer you stay the further you will be behind in the advances that are happening in the biotech industry.

There is no room for self growth and you are deemed to be replaceable.

Advice to Management

Value and listen to your employees, so that you don't lose them and have to pay people to write positive reviews about your company.

7. "Soon to be Cinderella Story"

I have been working at DiscoveRx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is the people. The scientists are brilliant, down-to-earth and really care about their products. The second is the products and services themselves. DiscoverX really has a great line of products and is poised for great things, especially under the new leadership which seems to have a clear direction and plans to not only grow the company, but grow us beneath them as well.

Cons

I'm relatively new so have not had too much time to accumulate complaints. The company has grown tremendously though in the little time that I have been here and change is always accompanied but a lot of hard work. Unlike previous companies that I have worked for however, the hard work put in at DiscoverX leaves one with the distinct feeling that you are contributing to making something better, rather than in the past where hard work just felt like spinning the hamster wheel a little bit faster.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, remain open and honest with your employees and deliver on your promises for change.

"a place to work"

I have been working at DiscoveRx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people are really nice and knowledgeable, especially junior and middle management. Casual atmosphere. Flexible hours.

Cons

Salaries are at least 30% less than market value. No career opportunities at all. Hard work or accomplishments are not rewarded.

Advice to Management

upper management does not take any advice from anyone, but if it would: listen to people.

"long term not recommended"

Pros

Some coworkers are brilliant, all are nice and easy to get along with. Very casual atmosphere. Junior management is genius, for all it's worth. Tasty lunch for Halloween, Holidays and under the new CEO, also for some people's anniversaries.

Cons

Lowest compensation ever. Nearly everyone is looking for another job or has given up and is just sitting there, feeling sorry for themselves. Major accomplishments are not rewarded. Career advancement isn't possible.

Advice to Management

start rewarding people for good work or they'll go elsewhere.

"Bad company culture"

Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Fremont, CA

I worked at DiscoveRx full-time

Pros

Great technology, great R & D

Cons

Very negative workplace. Poor management from CEO down....

Advice to Management

Build your teams up instead of tearing them down....