Discover Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Discover Chairman & CEO David W. Nelms
David W. Nelms

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance isn't great if you are working evenings (in 35 reviews)

• Being a call center you are on the phone with ignorant people all day and have emotive conversations (in 46 reviews)

1. "Personal Banker - Home Equity"

Former Employee - Personal Banker - Home Equity in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Personal Banker - Home Equity in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely hard to find in this position.

Cons

Compensation - regularly changed and never for the better.
    Compliance reviews - Discover will try to convince you the things you're being scored on are legitimate banking compliance concerns. Make no mistake, several of the things your call reviews will be based on are purely there to find ways for the company to keep chunks of your already too small bonuses.

Advice to Management

Close the department already. You're damaging your brand reputation.

"Call Agent"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in New Albany, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in New Albany, OH

I worked at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the discover enviroment at first. Very fun and upbeat, training was fantastic, they take a lot of pride in performance and reward well.

Cons

Went through a very tumultuous process where employees were 'weeded' out and laid off. Often employees are treated like just a body to fill a seat. If you are overqualified you will be suspected and not trusted. Training quality dropped significantly.

Advice to Management

Properly train agents to set yourself up for success. Don't pry into one's personal life.

"Discover Bank Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits (medical, dental, vision etc) and great coworkers.

Cons

Discover Bank focuses almost entirely on call quality above banking and financial product knowledge and experience. For example, if you are an 18 year old blond with a bubbly happy voice, but no demonstrable financial experience or knowledge, you'll go far when it comes too your monthly call quality scores. But if your a retired banker or retirement consultant, with vast banking experience and knowledge, but you have a manly voice that does not sound like a bubbly valley girl, then they will give you low call quality scores and you'll be out of the company in short order. The customers I assisted always that I was very friendly and appreciated my banking and financial product knowledge, but this obviously didn't matter to Discover Bank's quality algorithms that required me to sound like a valley girl with a lolly pop in her mouth. Your loss Discover.

Advice to Management

Realized that quality customer service cannot be faked with a bubbly voice on the phone, but with agents with a genuine financial product knowledge and a mature voice to put customers (who are generally retirees or approaching that age) at ease.

5. "Will NEVER Accept Contract Position Again..."

Current Contractor - Contractor in Riverwoods, IL
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay is pretty good and building is nice.

Cons

Contractors are treated like dirt- isolated from everyone else in small desks shared by multiple people and excluded from a majority of company meetings and activities.

6. "Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Discover (More than 5 years)

Pros

The learnings and people are enjoyable, you find people who want to teach you and help you understand how things work

Cons

Lies! Job growth is for agents cause they promote and hire after burning them out. As for a team lead you get low pay and told there is growth. Only to find out your not "buzz" worthy.

Advice to Management

Taking team leads out for lunch is a waste of money. Put that money towards our wages. Make sure incentive is realistic for the hard work we put in. One agent can make or break your incentive if they think you hurt their feelings. Make it easy to cut loose the bad agents

7. "Unreasonable Expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Discover full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice lunch room, good Health Insurance, 4 weeks off per year

Cons

In the bank area unreasonable expectations. sign up for one job and your duties change without your consent. Software that doesn't work properly, well known issues that never get fixed. Marked down on calls because management won't give access to programs that I need, extremely poor training.

Advice to Management

The issues are well known. Fix them.

8. "Worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance was great at the time I was there

Cons

Micro managed to the max, politics prevent promotions for many. Several times I was promised opportunities to move up just so they could get me to work harder and then the job would go to one of managements friends. Pay is lower than competitors. The call volume is so high that even if you are good at your job, you leave exhausted and stressed every day. I drank ridiculous amounts of caffeine while there. This is a job that I can't believe I used to have, towards the end I would get very anxious on my way to work because I just didn't want to be there. A lot of this is just the nature of the beast when you work somewhere this big and you really are just a number.

9. "Channel Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Discover full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has good benefits and a decent retirement savings program

Cons

Senior Management are arrogant and beaureacratic. The culture is one of intimidation and lack of information sharing

Advice to Management

Get true leaders in place

"Great place (if you are not ambitious)"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Riverwoods, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Riverwoods, IL

I have been working at Discover full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many vacation days, good work-life balance, okay benefits. Tuition reimbursement program. Great for entry level positions. Training/rotation opportunities - both on campus and outside. Sometimes interesting and challenging projects. Most people are nice and friendly.

Cons

Not a place for talented and ambitious people. Pay is low - the logic is to save money by hiring a mediocre candidate. Very hard to get promoted unless you are with a company for several years (non-transparent and confusing tenure-based promotion policy.) Weak middle management and many peers (because of low pay.) A lot of red tape - new ideas are rejected because managers do not understand them or get killed by bureaucracy. Unevenly distributed workload - productive employees are overloaded with assignments, those who cannot do much - well, do not do much. Constant reorganizations without clear goals.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to hire and retain talented people. Stop telling ambitious people "you are free to find another place" because they take your advice and leave. Develop and implement a transparent merit-based promotion policy. Reward hard-working talented employees and get rid of inefficient workers and managers.

"Won't ever get fired... and neither will your coworkers..."

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in West Valley City, UT

Pros

Job security. You would probably have to physically assault someone to get fired. Lots of free food and a gym.

Cons

Not getting fired also means that you can work with complete dead beats who get paid more than you with poor results but still hang on to their job even after a week of not showing up without a phone call or any notice. I found myself slacking off simply because I could without any repercussions. It doesn't feel very good when people have such low expectations of you... and the pay reflects that too.

Lastly, management is very political and everything moves at the pace of frozen molasses when it comes to change.

Advice to Management

Fire people. I'm not going to show up and work my butt off next to people who barely lift a finger unless there's some discipline. It just sucks feeling like nothing you do makes any difference because hey, everyone is okay with the bad status quo anyway.

Showing 134 of 1,343 reviews