Discover Employee Reviews about "work life balance"
71% would recommend to a friend
(517 total reviews)
60% approve of CEO
What people are saying about Discover
The Work-Life Bowl
2 years ago
Discover Financial Services
I have a verbal offer from Bank of America and looking to get some feedback. This is an IT infrastructure role with a significant bump in pay. What is work life balance like? Are people generally pleasant? I've been with Discover for over 10 years so I wanted to make sure this is the right place for me. Worried about WFH. Bank of America
Got a burning question about Discover? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Discover employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great benefits and 401k." (in 556 reviews)
- "Work life balance is good" (in 262 reviews)
- "The people I work with are great; I have never had a problem with a co" (in 251 reviews)
- "Great culture and values!" (in 231 reviews)
- "The pay is good for those who are willing to work hard and earn it." (in 205 reviews)
- "Management at senior manager and supervisor levels is poor in certain departments." (in 160 reviews)
- "Some managers are great and some are a work in progress but I think that's true everywhere" (in 92 reviews)
- "Low salary compared to other financial organization" (in 82 reviews)
- "Unfortunately, the reorganization caused a lot of unhappiness from poor upper management placement and decisions" (in 44 reviews)
- "Blatant favoritism and a total disregard for workplace civility are traits that are often on display by management." (in 39 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Discover and is not affected by filters.
Found 517 of over 4K reviews
Updated Dec 6, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Reviews about "work life balance"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Feb 2, 2014ConsultantCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsRiverwoods, IL
The people focused environment, completion of business vision, co-workers and work life balance are among some of the top reasons I choose to stay with DFS.
IT agility too slow, IT leadership needs to bring in young blood, glean their ideas and energy while using the established talent to channel efforts towards the business goals.3
- 5.0Sep 10, 2021Senior ModelerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearRiverwoods, IL
- Good compensation - Great PTO policy (25 days) - High tech finance company - Very rich culture
- Work life balance can be challenging but manageable - Not remote friendly (although they offer remote working after pandemic but your manager can ask for in office work)
- 5.0Sep 21, 2017Customer Service & EngagementFormer Employee, more than 1 yearWest Valley City, UT
Great benefits from day one, great training to prepare you for the jobs and duties to come. Discover financial services really cares, not just about the customers but also about the employees. They really try to help create the work life balance for each and every employee. I was able to work for Discover Financial service twice. Both experiences were great for me. They have a wide verity of shifts at the location in West Valley UT.
The people you talk to on the phone can be difficult at times, some of the Discover financial services location can get full pretty fast, especially during the day time hours.
- 3.0Mar 12, 2016Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearChicago, IL
somewhat collaborative and relatively good work/life balance
passive aggressive, slow to change, insecure company
- 4.0Aug 23, 2022Human Resources ConsultantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsRiverwoods, IL
Pleased with transition to hybrid and ability to work with managers to manage work/life balance and flexibility.
Consistency across managers for supporting hybrid work envionment
- 4.0Mar 10, 2022Account ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew Castle, DE
Raise twice a year Paid training PTO 401K Vision, dental and health insurance
Management Is always watching what your doing If you don’t want a cold calling job don’t sign up Discover says you’ll have work/life balance but they really care more about you coming to work
- 3.0Dec 14, 2021Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Great company culture; lots of activities and learning opportunities;
No life and work balance; chaos management;
- 2.0Apr 29, 2021Account SpecialistCurrent Employee
They started working on having set schedules for employees which I loved because I have more of a work life balance. Theirs a lot of involvement opportunities so you can be heard as an emoloyeee With covid they aren’t forcing us to go into office
They have the lowest starting pay for banking. Customer service You get burned out really fast because of the turn around from people leaving so the call volume has been so high They don’t have in place anything for outages that won’t penalize you and they take it out of your PTO1
- 2.0Sep 20, 2017Customer Service RepresentativeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew Castle, DE
Easy to make connections with coworkers. Also like that they have small weekly mini events for us in the summer. They also have a generous PTO system
Work life balance (over a month since I've had 2 consecutive days to myself) They will lie to you during the recruiting process. The pay is ATROCIOUS compared to other companies in the same field They've realized their shortcomings as far as employee retention...their solution? Inform new hires that the 'grass isn't always greener on the other side' (Money is green though)1