DiscoverOrg Customer Success Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 24, 2019

4.5
DiscoverOrg Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer Henry Schuck
Henry Schuck
  1. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's now ZoomInfo, but I started when it was DiscoverOrg. I gotta say my favorite part of working here is the culture. Every person here knows how to grind, and we're expected to. I'm incredibly fulfilled in my role and excited to be working for a company growing this fast. I moved around a few times before finding the position I fit best in (worked as a CDR, then Account Manager, and now a CSM), and it's seriously the best fit for me. I don't feel like my opinions need to be kept to myself, and the culture of the sales team is to ask as many questions as you can so we can all get better together. Never had a person respond to a question I've asked with anything other than a desire to help. Training is wonderful - even if you have never worked for a SaaS company, it's comprehensive and you know more than customers after the first 2 weeks.

Cons

The environment here can get negative, especially when it comes to big change. Because the company is growing quickly, we have a lot change - the comp plan was restructured mid-year and a lot of people got angry about it. You have to be comfortable with not knowing everything sometimes - decisions can be made last-minute and don't have a ton of lead-in all the time.

Advice to Management

Understand that folks don't love a bunch of change all the time - a phrase I hear a ton is "I know we're throwing a lot at you" and it's not entirely helpful all the time. That being said, don't go back on a decision just because some people are frustrated - you've made wise decisions historically and there's a certain amount of trust in knowing our managers don't flip-flop.

DiscoverOrg2019-10-24
  2. "Exciting place to work with a lot of opportunity"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product Great people Exciting company progress Awesome career opportunity

Cons

Things change a lot in a short period of time as a result of the rapid growth we've experienced. It can be a bit overwhelming, but it's always manageable

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

DiscoverOrg2019-06-07
  3. "Be Open to Change & Be Patient- It Will Pay Off"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. It's very rare that a company like DiscoverOrg, who is growing at a rapid pace, still takes the time to listen to their employees. The executive team and senior leadership truly have an open door. If you are unhappy or you identify an opportunity for improvement and speak up, not only will they hear you but they will make changes. Key thing here is make your business case and speak up for what you want, chattering around everything you don't like will only keep you where you are and will not impact change. 2. The product continues to evolve for the better. What's coming down the pipeline with the new platform is a game changer. Because of our product and the team, we truly will be the next Salesforce, where everyone knows our name and everyone wants to work here 3. Always changing and getting better. My cons below are cons right now but are getting better little by little and I'm sure they won't be cons in the future.

Cons

1. While there is a ton of training, call coaching, and resources available to get better at your job there is very little opportunity to get your hands dirty while improving your craft and techniques in workshops or conference. There was just a Rise Women's Conference for sales people around the country. Opportunities like this would be amazing to network, learn, and improve your skill set. 2. Comp should be higher but we're getting there 3. Segments and account loads are still a bit messy but will get better

Advice to Management

As we grow, keep listening to your key players. Invest in your people not only at a compensation level but on a personal level so they can continue to grow and be the best of the best.

DiscoverOrg2019-05-29

"Loved working here"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time

Pros

Very supportive and positive environment with lots of motivating perks and bonuses.

Cons

Too much change, too often. Not enough communication about the changes until they happen.

DiscoverOrg2019-04-01

"Great learning opportunities, but that's where it ends."

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than a year

Pros

-I want to preface that I was one of the top account managers at this company for both retention and upsell, and decided to put in my notice because of what I listed in the CONS section below. -Customer Success Directors are for the most part great, and an incredibly supportive group. Some of which I consider to be my friends. My direct manager, played a huge part in my growth and is one of the primary reasons why I stayed so long. -Amazing colleagues at the individual contributor level - my peers were some of the most intelligent and hilarious people I’ve ever worked with. -Great product/platform - Kudos to the product team for grinding through the whip cracking. This team is overworked and under appreciated. -High performing CSM team, truly some of the best of the best in the industry.

Cons

-Please take these positive Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt…. I was highly encouraged to post a review on Glassdoor in the first month of my employment. How is encouraging employees who aren’t even out of their probationary period to post a review on Glassdoor, okay? Just something to consider when reading these reviews. -Your base salary is based on “Industry Averages”…. Average pay for average reps, but for the most part our CSM’s were the best of the best, and should be paid as such. Not to mention your account loads are typically double or more when compared to other reps in similar segments. Come on DiscoverOrg, we speak to other CSMs when engaging with our customers. It’s crazy how many times I’ve told another CSM my account load, and the immediate silence, followed by “Holy crap, that's insane”, is always super reassuring. I’ll give them credit though, I managed to reduce my accounts from 100+ down to 62, which only took a year or so. They are trying to do this across the board for all segments which is great. -You’re essentially acting as a CSM and AE. Upsells are “highly encouraged”, although they will tell you that it’s not the focus of this job. LOL. I had one of the highest upsell numbers out of the CSM team, but hey I’m just a quitter that couldn’t tough it out. Nothing like building up a bunch of value through your conversations, call your customers and engage in super awkward price increase conversations, and then BOOM, the marketing team sends out a genius EoM/EoQ/EoY campaign while you're out on vacation to sell our data for 70-80% off. Imagine seeing emails being sent in your name with the subject line “More data? Steep Discount?…” and then the second message in the sequence is an absolute heater: “Hey, just bubbling this to the top of your inbox…”. Where do they come up with this? If your intent was to confuse the hell out of our customers, it worked. -Fear Mongering: Anyone who tells you they don’t use fear as a tactic to achieve results is full of themselves. -Drowning in too many metrics, reports, and non revenue generating activities that sap up your time. Combine this with insane account loads, how can we truly be customer success advocates? -The sheer disdain for anyone not working 11-12 hour days is beyond ridiculous. One of our leaders told this story about how back in the day I used to work 11-12 hour days, and this is what it took to get here. We're not you, and this TGIM/corporate bro mentality is ridiculous. If I want to leave at 5PM, I'll leave at 5PM. -Lack of career advancement opportunities: Did you know that as a CSM, you can get promoted to a Senior CSM, Director of Customer Success, or manage a team of CDR’s? It’s clear that they want you to stay in production driven roles for the entirety of your career. Most people don’t want to stay as a CSM for the rest of their lives, and we needed a way to progress, just as the leadership team did years ago as they grew in their careers. -Our CEO is the most unprofessional leader I’ve worked under. If I could sum up his conversational style in two words, it would be “condescending” & “interrogative”. People mistake his outbursts as “passion for his role”, but it’s no excuse for someone to behave and speak to others the way he does. I’ve witnessed on more than one occasion the CEO screaming at an employee so loudly, that everyone in the pit could still hear him through his closed door. I don’t care if that person made a big mistake, you don’t ever speak to people like that in a professional setting. He’s a brilliant guy, I’ll give him that, but he needs to work on this. Congratulations, you’ve surrounded yourself with a bunch of yes men and women who are afraid to give you real feedback. -Nepotism/Cronyism: There’s a funny review on Glassdoor saying that if you combined Henry’s top 10 from Myspace, and compared it with the organizational structure at DiscoverOrg that it would look like a Venn diagram. 100% spot on. -No formalized annual performance review, and the process of getting a raise is an absolute cluster. I eventually got the raise that I wanted, but to hear that “We want to give you this, because you’re one of our top reps and you deserve it” was really confusing to hear…… Then why make us jump through these hoops to get the raise we deserve? Drop this BS attitude that our reps should fight for everything. Just give your top performers adequate raises, it’s pretty simple. -For a bunch of people who went to college, they have zero understanding of the equity theory, one of the most basic management concepts taught at school. One of our leaders had the gall to say that it’s wrong for employees to share what we’re being paid…. LOL, COME ON. Imagine if employee A, who has nearly double the output of employee B finds out after his annual review (We don’t have one, but play along here lol) and raise that not only does employee B have a substantially higher base, they also received a raise, because he/she “asked” for it. Now you can only imagine the frustration of employee A who is producing at nearly 2 times the rate…. Now let’s say that that employee A does make the decision to stand up for himself and push hard to get the raise that he deserves, has to jump through a few hoops, but gets what he wants.... Now you have a big problem, because it’s now clear that he works in an environment that does not provide increases or equity based on merit, but politics. Now that I’ve broken this down, it becomes pretty easy to see why your employees get so pissed every year during this time and some decide that this is enough and leave.

Advice to Management

- Executive team needs to be more in the trenches and understand what is going on in the frontlines. The level of disconnect between what they perceive and how employees actually feel is ridiculous. It's okay though, we're all replaceable right? -Do you guys even read your exit interviews? Oh that’s right, everyone who ever left DiscoverOrg made a huge mistake and will never find a better job. Let’s get real, you can find a better job elsewhere, especially if company culture is your number one concern.

DiscoverOrg2019-01-26

"DiscoverOrg"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge opportunity for career advancement, huge potential for commission 1st year and beyond. Ability to work with the largest companies in the world (they're clients), tremendous personal growth, the commute is great for most in the area. Travel for work, like-minded employees, and good location downtown Vancouver.

Cons

No flexibility in the work from home policy is about all I can say. People find things to make negatives - managers pushing you, making you uncomfortable, challenging you etc. It's not a place for everyone, but it's full of smart people that are really driven so it's contagious. Definitely not for everyone.

Advice to Management

I think we could do better of defining top priorities in each department. There's always something new and sometimes it's hard to figure out how management wants us to prioritize things. That's table stakes for an incredibly fast-growing startup, so it keeps things interesting somewhat but can be confusing.

DiscoverOrg2018-01-16
  7. "Simply Awesome"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely amazing growth and opportunities. The level of talent to learn from along with the tech stacks that we are supported with to be efficient is unparalleled compared to other companies. The management team that works here have new school knowledge backed by old-school tenacity which gives me and my colleagues an advantage on how to serve our clients. Sure you have your Salesforce, Oracle and other big named companies but why be a number when you can be recognized as an individual?Anyone who is ready to push themselves to grow both professionally and personally needs to work here.

Cons

Look into possibilities for individuals to work from home occasionally.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees. Keep introducing us to new business strategies and support our growth as future leaders.

DiscoverOrg2018-01-17

"Customer Success Manager"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for more than a year

Pros

I consistently learn from management. I genuinely feel like I am surrounded by great sales talent.

Cons

Generally the environment can get pretty distracting so maintaining productivity can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Clearer path to goals. More one on one's, goal setting and performance reviews would help us to have a better understanding of where we stand and the path to where we want to be.

DiscoverOrg2017-06-26

"I love DiscoverOrg"

I have been working at DiscoverOrg full-time for less than a year

Pros

-great people, great product, great opportunities -our CEO, CRO, and other VPs/Directors/Managers are all down to earth, cool people. Most importantly, though, they are incredibly smart, driven, and I guarantee you'll learn more than a thing or two from them. -I worked my behind off and was promoted within a month of joining the company. People asked me how I did it; is that really a question? Come here ready to work EVERY day and you will be rewarded. It's as simple as that.

Cons

-no cons, but if I had to be completely frank, I wish there was more flexibility around working from home. I say that, but the truth is we are here to build this company into the next big thing. Our sales leaders always say, "why can't we be the next Salesforce?" I agree with them- the sky's the limit here at DiscoverOrg.

Advice to Management

-put cutting boards in the kitchen -snacks for your employees -I think there are a few small perks you could put in place that would increase retention ten-fold

DiscoverOrg2017-06-07

"Growth, Culture, and People"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at DiscoverOrg full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved every minute of working here. They took a real chance in hiring me being that I was the youngest person on my team by probably 5 years (or close) and had no sales/account management experience, but I was motivated. After my two weeks of training my confidence had boosted significantly. Prior to starting here I had hesitance with role playing and being on an open floor where I might sound funny to other people but the training was fantastic, the feedback was extremely helpful, and I had all the help I needed. Senior management was always willing to help and were great at communicating/getting involved with tough situations I may have not had the experience to handle up front. The best part about working here is the people that I had the pleasure of working with each day. There is no other office environment like this. You can be yourself and interact with everyone around you, but when it's time to work, it's time to work. Regardless of where you are in your career I highly recommend working at DiscoverOrg. I had no intention of leaving unless my "dream job" came along and by sheer luck/timing, it did. Hats off to Henry and all senior management for creating a place like this. I'll miss everyone I worked with.

Cons

The Finance team is an absolute Godsend and I am forever grateful for their help. With that being said, work directly with your manager if you have any questions about your commission report. The individual responsible for putting them together doesn't like to be questioned. In this instance, a mistake was made and I asked a question about it-- but to the wrong person. It was handled poorly up front, but fixed in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

DiscoverOrg2017-03-24