Discovery Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Discovery Communications President and CEO David M. Zaslav
David M. Zaslav

Pros
  • Provides for great Work Life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity to immerse yourself in the industry, great learning experience (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Any promises of work/life balance is just lip service (in 32 reviews)

• all of upper management is scared to say no to leadership (in 32 reviews)

1. "Good company"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, good benefits, great people

Cons

The industry is going through a contraction, so layoffs are to be expected, and a lot of "do more with less"

2. "A company in transition"

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

good benefits, expanded parental leave, good pay

Cons

future of broadcast business unsure, change is the only constant here

Advice to Management

Keep up transparency. It's important in a changing industry.

"Great benefits. Cool events. Good people but No stability."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Fun events at the office and free food
    Metro accessible
    If you have a good team, you're lucky.
    Great and new innovative tools to work with to make work flow easier

I worked at a specific department within a division and the direct team I worked with was great. During my short time there, I enjoyed the fun vibe of discovery and the cool perks they had to offer. My direct team was awesome and encouraged growth and we were organized as a team. I really enjoyed that part. The team and people I worked with really tried to utilize new tools to make things easier and communicated well.

I just wish that I had a chance to switch to another department/division more suited for my needs so I could continue working at discovery outside of the department I was in. But there seems to be a hiring freeze and only contracting.

Cons

The summary here is only referring to the department I was in. I am sure other departments are completely different. However think really deeply before accepting a job here. Your stay may not last long. There is no stability here. So much that the HR and management are literally scripted/trained to make the severance package sound like it's the best thing ever. Also the culture here is soooo used to lay offs that they twist it up so it seem as if you voluntarily chose to leave. They celebrate your leave here to "ease" the guilt and awkwardness. At least you are given a two week notice though...which can be beneficial but also very uncomfortable to deal with.

Although I worked w a tight knit team at this department., the overall department I worked with was very unwelcoming and very cliquey . People here are nice overall, but in this particular department they are very cliquey and not welcoming at all and not that warm either. You either will be welcomed, or find yourself confined to your cube and that's it. But I feel like you have the short end of the stick if you are new to the team, because the old timers will not include new comers. And you could be held accountable for things if you are somehow involved in the project.
    In fact, I feel like this entire department is too confined to their cubes and it is really hard to have that fun family culture here. They do fun celebrations for members of the team like baby showers, bridal showers, etc...but I also feel like it is for their "favorites". You don't really feel comfortable, honestly. And even left out on important discussions and decisions regarding various projects that may impact you. You may find out that a project you were heavily involved in didn't end up launching..way after you submitted it and you won't know why.
    The department I was in was silent chaos. They are working on being organized and doing their best, but there is no communication and I felt that my role was kind a tester role which didn't work out at the end because of the reorganization. There are a lot of loose ends and each small sub team has their own process from another team. Which can cause chaos when you have to work together. There is no consistency. Some teams have trouble using the same project management tools throughout the department. And you always feel as if you are stepping on someone's toes if you offer to help them.
    I feel like specific full time roles are not really valued here and lots of things are being outsourced to freelancers or contractors.

There is a lot of tensions due to lots of reorganization and restructure and internal and external changes especially for this division, and you can see it affect the staff. There is a huge question of stability which puts people on edge. And I also believe huge changes will be happening for this department which could affect the team negatively. I anticipate another huge restructure happening very soon. So maybe think twice before taking an offer. Especially if you're looking for something long term.

The funny thing is that since i even started, I knew off the bat that my stay here wasn't going to last long. I could just feel it. And I was right.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with your staff and stop making your own conclusions about their roles. Good luck when you lay them off and then realize the need for the role later.

Value your staff and all the hard work they are doing. There is a lot of work to be done and a lot of hands and talent that are needed. Outsourcing is not going to help you with making your brand strong.

Don't hire new people unless you are sure you will need them in the long run.

Please stop being vague about the so called changes that are happening and be up front with the staff so they can stop being on edge.

5. "Sales Manager"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Good Salary and nice people to work with

Cons

No Future in digital media. loosing its presence

6. "Good Company to Start Career"

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity to immerse yourself in the industry, great learning experience.

Cons

Promotions not entirely based on merit, starting salary could be higher for amount of work

Advice to Management

Increased salaries for entry/lower level employees, more team building activities

7. "Smart, dedicated coworkers,constant layoffs."

Former Employee - Publicist in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Publicist in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with some of the best in the business, a you learn a lot. And they have a lot resources which help you to do your job. They also invest in growing their employees.

Cons

There was a time when Discovery was a sleepy company where people spent most of their careers. But with the constant layoffs, it has caused a culture of fear.

8. "Stable, fun and the company cares for you"

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Work life balance, Benefits and the company actually cares for their employees

Cons

salary is lower than average, and management sometimes seems distant

Advice to Management

Have monthly meetings to let everyone know whats going on.

9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Great people and a great atmosphere.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Okay place to start out"

Pros

Benefits, decent culture for newbies

Cons

Too political, weak middle management

Advice to Management

Take some pride in your job.

"Broadcast Ingest Operator"

Former Employee - Broadcast Ingest Operator in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Ingest Operator in Sterling, VA

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A fair amount of job security.

Cons

Ineffectual management layers and unnecessary bureaucracy