Discovery Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Discovery Communications Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and work- life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Amazing company to work with, great benefits and opportunities to grow (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • I think work-life balance is Discovery has some opportunity areas (in 34 reviews)

• all of upper management is scared to say no to leadership (in 35 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Network Presentation Schedule Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Network Presentation Schedule Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Place to work. Great benefits. Excellent working relationships. Close to restaurants. Excellent management staff and training opportunities.

Cons

The brand is not what it used to be.

2. "Comercial Operations Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work with, great benefits and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Nothing, this company has a great work ethics.

3. "Digital Media"

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Great people, lots of creativity. Great benefits, really understanding management most of the time who will go out of there way to help you with personal issues. Room to move up fast depending on your starting position. Collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

High turnover. Constant layoffs. Constantly understaffed. Unrealistic expectations that will soon lead to burnout (depending on your position). Constant reorganization of departments. Constant goal post shifting of goals that will leave you confused as to what direction you're supposed to be taking.

"If You're a VP, You're All Set"

Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discovery Communications really does go above and beyond to make their employees healthy, engaged and balanced. The benefits back in 2013-15 were better than any other employer I had or have had since. My division used to offer Summer Fridays, which allowed you (with appropriate 40 hour work weeks M - Th) to take every other Friday off from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There are a lot of resources on-site to make your life easier, like the Wellness Center, boot camp classes, dry cleaning & cafeteria. There are a lot of ERGs, clubs and professional associations that management encourages participation in.

Cons

This is a corporation that trains it's "managers" that it's all about the money. I had a terrible boss who was a terribly insecure mean girl who didn't want anyone to do well but her, especially her direct reports. The culture at Discovery is odd. Women try to act like their male bosses (and trust me, all of them are white males with inflated egos). This creates a weird competitive tension, unusual alliances that on the surface feel inappropriate and if you're a VP or above, you do whatever you can to keep your job. That leaves many of the people in charge not necessarily the most talented business leaders or experts. My boss, who was alledgedly a VP, spent most of her time on the phone, sucking up to her boss by bad mouthing her employees and shopping online. After 2 years, I wanted to apply to another job in the company and my boss did everything in her "power" to make sure it wasn't an option for me, despite having her encouragement and support when she hired me to move within the company after a year or so. HR is only there to handle VPs constantly-changing staffing keepers and get-rid-of-ems. There's a lot of turnover there, for a variety of reasons, but lately the company has made huge job cuts and people are jumping ship on their own to avoid being let go. Despite handing their leader a 30+ million dollar bonus a few years ago, they're still struggling. It's a real shame. That was my experience. Probably a mistake in my career, but it didn't feel like it when I accepted the job. Oh and if you're white, heterosexual and live in Annapolis or Bethesda, you'll fit right in.

Advice to Management

I just can't with you right now. Egos out of control, zero creativity and pay attention to the talented people who aren't VPs. They're the ones with all the good ideas, the ones acting on them and the ones suppressed by evil insecure mean girls with an unfortunate sense of style.

"Vice President"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Aggressive Expansion, especially in Europe. Good benefits.

Cons

Massive restructuring throughout all divisions. New management style created a hostile, nervous and unproductive environment.

Advice to Management

Teams work best when they feel security on some level. Be hyper aware of morale. Don't take the attitude of if-you-want-to-leave-go, because you're losing good people.

6. "Used to be great ... now all closed-door whispering and corporate speak"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be the best in the busine4ss.

Cons

What everyone has been saying about Discovery is unfortunately true. It was THE place to be 10 years ago - but crappy programming, constant shakeups and layoffs, and concern for the almighty dollar has ruined its rep, rightfully so.

7. "Production Coordinator"

I worked at Discovery Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

Working with different time zones can be challenging at times. But Discovery is a great company to work for. They have excellent benefits, a nice working environment, and the company actually cares about you.

Advice to Management

None, management is excellent.

8. "Master Control Operator"

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time

Pros

Great company, management and good benefits.

Cons

Can become monotonous at times.

Advice to Management

Doing a good job keep it up.

9. "Nero is 'fiddling'..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Benefits, Annual bonus (if it applies to your position)

Cons

Management trends, Upper Management, workload (depending on area), no growth opportunities, recent and continual structural changes

Advice to Management

Basically, stop. Stop acquiring/partnering with companies just to get into an area that you know nothing about. Keep the 'old' company strong because its pillars are cracking and no one cares except the competition who will leave you behind (of course, you'll just get a ridiculous position over there though).

"Nice people, good perks, awful management"

Former Employee - Research in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research in New York, NY

I worked at Discovery Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare and company-wide outreach (nutrition, exercise, wellness center, impact day). Over all people are nice when you are not on their immediate team.

Cons

The only reason that I stayed at the company was because people were nice and the perks were good. However, the company (as all companies are) is very top heavy. What baffled me the most was that my managers and direct supervisors would throw me under the bus if that averted blame and scrutiny on them. There was no support for career development and networking across different groups. There were so many layoff one after the other that it got very unsettling at the end. The managers/supervisors weren't there on merit but rather by default (from other people getting laid off or quitting), and they were riding their high tide at the cost of their direct reports. There was no good morale.

Advice to Management

Let employees grow instead of stomping on their foot! They aren't their to sabotage you. Boost morale and let employees learn and mingle about other parts of the company.