Discovery Cove Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Life-gaurd"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL

I worked at Discovery Cove part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy-going job for what you're paid

Cons

felt like i was just working hard all for the owner to make millions of dollars, so many employees that it's easy to not feel important when you literally have the potential to save someone's life

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more like humans instead of robots expected to perform at perfection. People are human, they make mistakes sometimes. Also work on not being so demeaning to employees (some)

2. "Worst management I've ever dealt with"

Former Employee - Park Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Park Hostess in Orlando, FL

I worked at Discovery Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'll start with the positives of DC. The coworkers are amazing and you'll make friends for life. Groups of us would go out for break every shift. The job itself is very easy. Passing out wetsuits or lockers, giving directions, having guests fill out waivers for Seaventure or dolphin cabanas. Not a difficult job by any means, just mindless tasks to keep guests moving through the park.

Cons

Now for all of the negatives, and there's a lot of them.
    The three managers (above leads) for the guest service department/Special Occasions are the worst managers I have ever worked for. L A Z Y is their life motto. They come in to work at 10, take lunch at 12, and leave by 13:30. If you have a schedule request, forget about it because they won't even look at it. And if they do happen to see it, they won't do anything about it. Will not work with school schedules, family emergencies, or injuries. Management plays favorites with about 10 employees and they will push you out if they don't like you by purposely giving you bad schedules and not letting you advance within the company. They let those 10 employees call in all the time and show up late with no disciplinary action. But if you're 2 minutes late they will write you up. However this wont be until 6 months after the fact, because, as previously stated, they are so lazy its unbelievable.
    Other examples: Lets people get away with sexual harassment, will schedule you until 23:00 and then at 06:00 the next morning, will make extremely rude comments like "I have a college degree and you don't. That's why I have this position and you are there", won't put in your PTO requests, and absolutely will not listen to your suggestions for park improvement.
    In summary, its an easy job but management sucks and you most likely will never move up in the company. Shifts start at 6 or 7am and can end anywhere from 12pm to 11pm. If you have a night shift expect to spend your night flipping wetsuits and folding towels. Morning shifts will have you sweeping sand and cleaning beach chairs.
    I'm extremely glad I quit and moved onto another job, the management at Discovery Cove is the worst. So do yourself the favor and apply elsewhere if you really want a theme park job.

Advice to Management

Fire the three managers about the leads in the guest service department. Actually listen to employee suggestions.

3. "Downward Decent and It ALL starts with "Leadership""

Former Employee - Host/Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Host/Hostess in Orlando, FL

I worked at Discovery Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment, Meet some wonderful Guests, Seeing the animals.

Cons

Poorly Managed, Wasteful, Lazy Uninspired Leadership, Unprofessional, Unsanitary

Advice to Management

Just a shame to have something that is a wonderful concept be disrespected and deflated by a group of poor(and that is an understatement at best) "lead" or "managers". If you wonder why you see the downward decline of the parks its results in HR. Start there! Screen your employees and DEFINITELY your leadership; unless your path is a downward decent. So sad, really.

4. "Just glad I have a job with Flexible scheduling that consists of what I like doing."

Current Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Orlando, FL

Pros

Mostly Outdoors, Sand, flexible hours, not at a desk, like photography anyway, mostly laid back, small percentage of a raise 1-3 times a year...

Cons

Inconsist clock in/out times, no regular consistent days off, part time limited to 28 hours a week, open 3 days a week during the colder season..

Advice to Management

Simple things that I won't write here.

5. "Great company to work for a college student"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Discovery Cove full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for when first starting out or while in college! After being with the company it was difficult to advance into a leadership role but had a great time otherwise with being afforded new opportunities.

Cons

Difficult to advance in leadership due to not being involved in a click or not being a favorite because you speak your mind. I had worked many years there and wasn't able to advance into leadership roles. I got to do great things and had fun while working there but that was my con.

Advice to Management

Don't base your pick for a leadership role in the interview but base it on what they are capable of doing on the job. You miss out on great people that should hold those positions by placing someone that is part of a click or is a favorite amongst leadership even though they aren't capable of doing the job. I was capable and actually trained new assistant supervisors while being a regular guard because they weren't sure how to do the job.

6. "Discovery Cove - A Park Services Hostess' view"

Current Employee - Park Services Hostess in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Park Services Hostess in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Discovery Cove part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a beautiful park (technically it's a day resort) to work in. Co-workers are easy to make friends with and the assistant supervisors are cool (for the most part). PT get decent discounts on food, merchandise, and park tickets, as well as 12 free tickets per calendar year (Jan. through Dec.) total for the Busch-owned parks. You get in for free with your ID at any of the Busch-owned parks and free parking, as well as Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure on non-blockout dates (minus the free parking). The job pays well for easy work.

Cons

During the Spring and Summer seasons it gets really hot out, but that's to be expected in Florida if you're working outside. More often than not the supervisors/managers have no problem writing you up for clocking in a minute late. Repeat offenders, I get it, but for those who showed up late only one time and still got a write-up is ridiculous. Luckily, these things go away after three months.

Advice to Management

Understandably, being overly friendly and buddy-buddy is obviously not necessary, but being kind every once in a while wouldn't hurt. A smile or a simple "Hi [name], how are you?" can go a much longer way than no smile or greeting at all. Things like that really do improve work relationships and respect from your employees.

7. "Stable Diving Job"

Former Employee - Diver in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Diver in Orlando, FL

I worked at Discovery Cove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, a lot of down time at work, we got an hour and a half lunch break. It was a fairly easy job.

Cons

Very monotonous, you do the same thing pretty much everyday. It gets old pretty quick. Also, I worked on a night shift and that was hard for me to do.

Advice to Management

I really don't have anything. Management was great. They were very fair. This job just wasn't the right fit for me.

8. "Great People To work with But Always know who is in charge"

Former Employee - Park Operations Host in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Park Operations Host in Orlando, FL

Pros

Lots of Benefits. Great Work Atmosphere. Great Managers and Managers in Training, Comfortable Uniform, Flexible Hours, awards. It is a fun job to work if your looking to make some extra cash!

Cons

If you EVER need to resign be sure to take it to the headquarters. I sent in a resignation due to sickness to my lead manager at that time. I informed the managers I would be placing my resignation in and even had a doctors note informing the managers for a legit reason for my leaving. I expected to leave on good notice. A Week later, I was sent a notice mentioning that I was fired since I didn't report in to work. I would have taken care of it if I wasn't leaving to go on my honeymoon with my new husband! It's quiet laughable because I do not plan on going back to work there. But still, to be sent such a message! If you know you are a person that would be impacted negatively from getting fired be sure to leave any important information you have to the person in charge of your managers!

Advice to Management

Please be mindful of your paperwork and look over employees information more accurately! So this will not happen to any other employees!

9. "Great for any career type"

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Discovery Cove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Managers
    Team Members
    Customer Service Growth

Cons

Limited Hours
    Difficult Guests
    Low chance of moving up

Advice to Management

Hours less limited.

10. "Fun relaxed environment with a small enough employee base to create long lasting relationships"

Current Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Discovery Cove part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great beautiful park, relaxed atmosphere, great to employees with many incentives, entrance to Sea World Parks and many events around the cities, giveaways, etc. The clientele tend to be high class which means less troublesome issues with guests, many of them are revisits from other years. Diversity in employee base and in guest base means a great exposure to different cultures. Company offers language classes to ensure proper communication with guests.

Cons

small tight knit community means small chance of promotions. very little turn around, many employees have been there since park opened, few full time opportunities available. It is rare for there to be full time positions opening up. Many people tend to go to other parks to gain experience or get their full time and then come back to discovery cove when a leadership position opens. The clientele, though higher end typically, have odd requests and can be a bit demanding due to the treatment they've come to expect.

Advice to Management

strive to build a closer relationship with employees