Discovery Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 46 reviews

3.5
Discovery Education CEO Bill Goodwyn
Bill Goodwyn
Pros
  • "Discovery Education is a special place, with top-rated K-12 resources that are supported by outstanding customer service(in 9 reviews)

• "People who aren't mission driven and don't pull their weight are let go - that is a good thing given all that the rest of us have to do(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because of this, Discovery Education pushes excellent employees to work at a level of mediocrity because of all the competing priorities(in 6 reviews)

• "Senior management is aware of this, but they don't receive the support from our corporate parent(in 4 reviews)

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best sales job I've had so far Good manager, opportunities to grow Great office, feels like a tech start up

Cons

Can't think of any yet.

Advice to Management

Love my team; pace is fast but keeps it exciting. Would like to have more opportunities for on-site training, but overall love my job. I like feeling part of something big.

Discovery Education2019-04-09
  2. "It CAN be good"

Current Employee - Partner Success Manager

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time

Pros

Started with a love of K12 education.

Cons

Has become lots of chaos

Advice to Management

Promote people. Think through changes BEFORE making them.

Discovery Education2019-08-13
  3. "Invoicing"

Current Employee - Invoicing Team in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice environment for working

Cons

There are not too many

Discovery Education2019-05-21
  4. "Is this REALLY How this place is"

Current Employee - Partnership Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

there are some smart talented people that work there but they leave as soon as they peek behind the curtain

Cons

Zero Transparency. They hire administrators for their contacts and when that drys up the directors do not know how to sell so you are in real trouble. The quota goes up every year even if there is no way you can do that. Then they ask you to lie in meetings about what your numbers are so they look good and then when you can't hit that you are blamed. Also in my part of the country you will be micro micro managed....

Advice to Management

Advice to management does not matter because they do not listen. They are only interested in saving themselves before the company is dismantled and sold off for parts like an old car

Discovery Education2019-05-31

"Great Place To Be"

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time

Pros

Smart people who really care about making a difference Interesting work, no 2 days are the same Management that cares about their employees GREAT NEW OFFICE!

Cons

-Can't think of too many other than I miss the on-site doctor (ha ha!) -Haven't dealt with the few sour apples still around

Advice to Management

DE is a great place to be and I feel really lucky to be a part of the team. I love the new energy and excitement and am happy about the new path we are on. I was actually a little nervous about the closing of the old Discovery building, but the new space is awesome and exceeded my expectations. I have sunshine! I'm bummed that there are some old-timers who haven't been able to adjust to change and do spend more time grumbling...

Discovery Education2019-04-06

"Lots of Change"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity to support educational causes

Cons

Lots of change makes work less than ideal

Advice to Management

Communication is key

Discovery Education2019-04-17

"18-19: The Wasted Year"

Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Discovery Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Since I'm unable to think of any I'll just offer a blank stare.

Cons

Poor organization on the Legal, Contracts, and Financial teams. NEW managers attempting to fix a system and process that's not broken. Everyone is trying to "make their mark" in a company that may not sustain. No upward movement. Lies and excuses (specifically when I asked about working from home. Apparently this is not available to AA's on the Contract Team). Severely underpaid Expensive benefits.

Advice to Management

None as they never listened to my suggestions nor did they respect or appreciate what I had to offer.

Discovery Education2019-04-24
  8. "Exciting Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discovery Education is finally independent from Discovery Communications and its bureaucracy. Now DE can be the mission-driven growth company that I wanted to be a part of when I joined the company. There is a ton of excitement around major new product initiatives and investments that the company is making, and it is a lot of fun to be part of it. To top it off, the product is doing well in the world by improving education!

Cons

The transition to a standalone company had a few short-term bumps in the road. No long term cons that I can think of.

Discovery Education2019-03-01

"Love my job, my team, and the impact we make"

Current Employee - Partnerships in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative group of people; work on projects with multiple organizations where we build programs that are given to schools for free which is really cool; hard-working, smart teammates; fair practices and accessible management who give us the right amount of autonomy coupled with effective feedback; smart marketers and partnership people; well run group; I have learned more in my time here than in all my previous jobs...

Cons

Team is so hard working and mission driven, but still suffers from being resource constrained (inconsistent in certain areas in the company), where in others that work with schools, it seems like people are tripping over each other.

Advice to Management

Celebrate success across all the company, so much innovation and hard work going on and not sure that the senior most leadership sees the incredible output of all the teams. Take a good look at how many people work in which areas..

Discovery Education2019-02-01

"STAY AWAY"

I have been working at Discovery Education full-time

Pros

Coworkers are extremely friendly and work hard.

Cons

No one is treated fairly at Discovery. The leadership lacks transparency. These reviews are fake. The company id taking a downward spiral since they were purchased by Francisco Partners. The culture here is at an all time low. They do not take care of their employees. All fringe benefits have been stripped away over time, as well as bonuses.

Discovery Education2019-03-14