Discovery Toys Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeremy W Hobbs

1. "electrifying"

Current Employee - Ed Consultant in Guilderland, NY
    Current Employee - Ed Consultant in Guilderland, NY

Pros

Opportunites for advancement
     not a ponzi-like scheme
    commraderie with other mom's

Cons

at times hostesses were onverly demanding and did not help me schlep stuff into their homes!

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive and produce high quality educational toys and games still have mine and i worked for the company in 1983 onward

2. "For those who want to be their own boss and keep their family first, it is the best!"

Current Employee - Educational Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Educational Consultant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

- own boss
    - set own hours
    -can work anywhere in the country, no territtories
    - can work on overseas military bases
    - cannot get downsized out of a job
    - take time off when needed
    -Free vacations
    - tax writeoffs
    - meet positive people
    - impact the next generation

Cons

-Not everyone is cut out to be their own boss- not for those who need to be told what to do
    -- Have to create retirement program
    - no insurance

Advice to Management

-Keep up the quality of our products- stick with what worlks
    Look into a retirement program for us to invest in.

3. "Very unfulfilling"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Overall great products that are perfect gifts for the young and old in your life.

Cons

You do not know the deals for the next month until a day or so in advance.
    Although there is a lot of training available, the training is not done by the people who developed them. The Consultants who do develop them are not given the recognition for it, but are treated wonderfully to share the information and then disregarded until the company needs help/advice. (Personal experience and saw it happen another time.)
    The products are sold for less on Amazon with free shipping.
    When asked about anything that may be negative, (On the Facebook EC Share page for consultants) the question goes unanswered and is immediately deleted. The moderators are really on top of deleting everything not-positive to the company as a whole.
    This is direct sales, so beware of your "family"/"team mates". Many will be quick to jump in and steal a sale, take down your flyers to put up their own, & more. That is not a solely DT problem, but it happens just the same.
    Also, the lifetime guarantee is not supported. Several times, the products had to be returned. Most recently, when attempting a return, it was denied and I was called a liar. I've been with the company for years and their refusal to stand by their products and grant a return for defective products is alarming.
    Some of the products are great concepts, but are truly lacking.
    The company is making serious money on the amount it charges consultants for supplies and catalogs.
    Overall an unfulfilling venture. There seems to be a team with the people who have weathered the many owners over 30+ years; however, it is closed ranks and they are quick to take advantage of the new consultants.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the training you have unpaid consultants do; however, a class in ethics might help more. Also, get listed as a recognized MLM. the fact you are not is telling.

5. "Too much work for too little pay"

Former Freelancer - Sales Director
    Former Freelancer - Sales Director

I worked at Discovery Toys (More than 8 years)

Pros

Got lots of toys for my kids when they were little.

Cons

Worked way too many hours for very little pay. Signed up a lot of people, none of whom wanted to build a business.

6. "I Love Discovery Toys product and staff."

Current Employee - Senior Educational Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Educational Consultant

Pros

I love to help educate children through play. I believe in Discovery Toys products. I love that the leaders above you are available anytime to help you reach your goals! They always will help you explore every way to sell your toys.

Cons

It is a slow start at the beginning to get your business started. You get alot of "No" to the request of throwing a party. But if you work hard you will benefit.

Advice to Management

We need to make it possible to have an online party! Pampered Chef has a great program for online parties.

7. "Very interesting & learning a lot."

Pros

They work with you to make you as suscessful as you want to be. My 3 year old and I play more than we have ever did before. I feel he's learning more to and we have fun! The toys are awesome.

Cons

Sometimes it feels they spend more time on the sales people that are higher in rank. They don't tell you what the monthly promotions are far enough in advance.

8. "Aufregende Erfahrung, kein besonders gutes Einkommen"

I have been working at Discovery Toys part-time

(Translated from English)

Pros

Tolle Produkte, tolles Netzwerk, einfacher Job von Zuhause aus

Cons

nicht genug Interesse am Produkt

Advice to Management

Seien Sie nicht so aufdringlich