Discovery USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Donald Young

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to be"

I have been working at Discovery USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. People are genuinely helpful toward one another. Not a lot of ego to get in the way of doing great work. Tons of awesome benefits including generous time off policies, lots of snacks in breakroom, ability to get involved in charitable activities.

Cons

Technology is always a challenge. Whether it's phone systems or video conferencing. Getting the technology to work correctly when you need it always seems to be a struggle

Advice to Management

Continue to make people your focus and keep listening.

2. "Complete loss of focus on the client"

I worked at Discovery USA full-time

Pros

The pay is rather good.

Cons

Unorganized. Going through a lot of restructuring and reorganization to the organization. Complete lack of priorities - namely, the clients.

Advice to Management

Focus on who pays the light bills - the client - and not constant internal rejiggering.

3. "Amazing opportunities as a first full-time job!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discovery USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, no micromanaging, great office space for collaboration & work, professional growth opportunities, ability to talk directly & openly with upper management/leadership

Cons

Lack of process structure for internal marketing

Advice to Management

Work with recruiting younger employees

4. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discovery USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Culture & constant support from managers

Cons

New system and work life balance

Advice to Management

More interactive events with other colleagues

"Good place to work if you are not looking for high tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Discovery USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Lots of perks in the office (snacks, beverages, parties, gym membership discounts)

Cons

Technology is dated and dept is very understaffed. Company wants to be digital but not invest in technology.

Advice to Management

Figure out your direction and do it, stopping and starting, changing course is killing motivation

"Sr. Mgmt DYSFUNCTIONAL"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Discovery USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great time off benefits; causal attire

Cons

Worked employees to excess, Bill...bill...billl the client, make more money.

Advice to Management

Clean house of senior management

"An agency where you can make an impact"

Pros

Great benefits. Wonderful time off policies. Transparent leadership who genuinely care about people.
    Lots of opportunities to better the world though volunteering, events and specific fundraisers.
    You feel your voice is heard no matter your level or tenure in agency.
    Everyone is empowered and encouraged to facilitate and implement change

Cons

Not a place for someone who prefers a steady, process-heavy environment.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on bringing in good people and making the tough, necessary changes.

"95% Billable Target is Culture Suicide"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Discovery management seems decent. PTO and perks are no joke. There are many lovely people at this agency.

Cons

* Busted process and conflicting priorities create few opportunities to do quality work

* Severely outdated equipment all over the agency. It's embarrassing and hinders our ability to get work done needlessly.

* Publicis Health management is despicable.

Here's what you resent when a daily required 30-minute non-billable meeting for everybody across PM, design, studio and interactive take up more than the number of non-billable hours you're allotted for over the course of a 40-hour week.

* Every minute spent at a mandatory company-wide meeting

* Every minute spent at a mandatory company-wide meeting that went into overtime

* Being asked to "ask any question you want" or do shoutouts at such meetings that are already in overtime or at risk of running over.

* Having one such Q&A session produce a gem of an answer from a Publicis Health exec on a Q about work/life balance that work/life are pretty much blurred for him and he likes that and that he accepts that not everybody likes that and that you're free to live your life as you want and that if you don't like long hours you can work somewhere else. In my case he's right about that and I am in fact taking steps to bail. But I know that must have burned for a lot of us who don't have the mobility he and I do. Oh and I love my work too buddy. But not when I'm forced to do it badly because you're doing a lousy job of the work you love on your end.

* The guy who asked the question or made the shoutout even though it's not his fault for realizing they're just going to keep sweating us until somebody asks/shouts-out something/somebody. Somebody had to take the resentment for the team.

* Every minute spent at a fun culture-building work activity when you're staying late because of it after the fact.

* Training people on how to do their jobs properly for more minutes at a time than you can reasonably fudge into an unrelated billable hour.

* Helping people out in any way that can't be billed beyond the last point's time limit.

* People taking billable work from you that you really didn't have time to do properly in the first place.

* Being asked whether we think we're working efficiently or in the best interests of the client (oh wait, nobody ever does).

* Our biggest client asking us to work more efficiently and in their best interests (uh oh).

* Finance asking us to spend more time on our timesheets and to include all non-billable hours in detail, a task that can add hours to a week when you're juggling a dozen projects, all while incentivizing us to do the exact opposite.

* The new Publicis Health network finance guy telling us it's not so bad and then using the management 75% billable example to outline how many hours they actually have for non-billable over the course of a year when 95% of the people in the room are in the 95% billable-targeted-category, meaning the very meeting that went into overtime we were just having, eliminated more than half their non-billable time for the week. It really made that whole thing feel like a shady sales pitch.

Advice to Management

Cost-saving tip: Plug a generator into our revolving door so we can get off the grid and stop paying for electric because it's about to start moving a lot faster than it already is.

More seriously, our biggest client is getting tight on the purse-strings. They're not doing that for no reason. If the incentive to rack up the working-stupid hours isn't attended to during a year we're likely to fall short of our arbitrary not-properly-invested-for growth goals in, we are going to severely damage our relationship with them and that's when the ship really starts to sink. Suck it up. Take the "loss" this year or we'll be in real trouble.

Training isn't billable. Nobody has the time to do it.

It doesn't matter what plan you come up with. Processes will not improve if there is no time/incentive to improve them.

Replace the company-wide meetings with a memo. All they do is prolong the amount of time we have to spend in the office before we can go home now. Two on a week of tough deadlines for everybody was really frustrating. At the very least, avoid times we'll be attending to upcoming convention dates.

Start telling people about this 95% billable thing at the interviews. Not being able to hire anybody is the best way to convince Publicis they're acting crazy.

"Overworked and Poorly Led"

Pros

Lots of time off, great people, great location

Cons

Everything else! It's a constant battle to hire the people you need, so you end up working 50-60 hours a week consistently at a sub-par level. Then when the clients start pulling budgets, the blame falls on you.

The politics from Senior Leadership are incredibly high. Our group has a leader from Publicis with NO AGENCY experience. She has never done the job they hired her to do!!! She shows up two days a week, sort of talks to people, pretends to care by scheduling one on ones, just to turn around and cancel them with no explanation.

All departments are pitted against each other. So good luck trying to get something done that requires you to step outside of your group. Which is basically how our jobs function. So everyday is a battle.

Having just gone through layoffs, I don't think things are going to get better before they get worse.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the almighty dollar and focus more on your people. We are the agencies most valuable asset. Rethink your leadership and hiring strategies.

"Gets old quick"

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Discovery USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - hard to match their PTO, 401K match, and health insurance.
    Merchandise Mart location is convenient for public transportation.

Cons

Most people are overworked and underpaid, which will happen when the word "growth" only applies to revenues.

Senior management is a total clique.

Advice to Management

Listen to your best employees, retain them, and reward them financially. Otherwise this place will continue to be a revolving door. I don't know a single person who has left and regretted it.

Discovery USA Response

Aug 30, 2016 – Group Managing Director

Best of luck in your new role. In spring of this year merit raises were issued for employees eligible and I'm particularly provide that we were also transparent about salary ranges with all employees... More