Dismas Charities Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Counselor in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the Residents was sometimes difficult and at the same time rewarding. If you honestly wanted to be of help there will be plenty times to smile .

Cons

There was lots of dishonesty and taking advantage of the Residents, mean staff this was key administration and they received the promotions. I was there for 6 plus years promoted once looked over many times and never a raise. I reported the wrong doings and was called a 'whistle blower' and was put through hell until forced to resign. Dishonest Supervisors.

Advice to Management

Help the Residents and assist your Staff instead of watching your bonus. So many dishonest people hiring the same dishonest workers.

2. "Resident Monitor"

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to help people. Great pay! Free Lunch!

Cons

Horrible benefit cost. Working with criminals.

Advice to Management

Make facility one sex only.

3. "relief resident monitor"

Current Employee - Relief Resident Monitor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Relief Resident Monitor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Dismas Charities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents to help them get back into society in a positive light

Cons

Disorganized and chaos, and they are not people persons

Advice to Management

Take management classes so you know how to uplift and encourage fellow employees

4. "Enjoyable"

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Tupelo, MS

I worked at Dismas Charities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job, enjoyed co-workers, working with individuals trying to help successfully transition back into society from prison. Pay was decent for job. Job Flexibility.

Cons

Lack of hours, facility management was slow to help or resolve problems or situations that residents had. Let monitors take the brunt of the residents anger and attitudes.

5. "Resident Monitor"

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, residents, Director, dress code

Cons

scheduling, dishonesty, washing dishes, cleaning restroom

Advice to Management

Be honest about schedule when advertising job opening

"Be Weary"

Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any Pro's. Insurance was moderate if that is a pro.

Cons

Upper Management. They set employees up for success . Most hateful people I have ever run into. They say they heal the human spirit but this does not include staff. Staff development and advancement does not happen often if at all.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and help them develop to be better employees instead of turning on them. Do not ask for opinions then retaliate against them. You lose good employees when you do this. Understand that even though there are differences of opinion that an employee is looking out for the community and has their best interest in mind.

7. "Great place to work but Medical Benefits are ridiculously expensive. They cost almost two weeks pay."

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in West Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Resident Monitor in West Springfield, VA

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are awesome with on the job training and room for advancement.

Cons

Dealing each day with ex prisoners takes a toll on you.

Advice to Management

Make the benefit package more affordable to allow employees the option of staying long term.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Director is always pushing use to do better and is willing to work with us. I work mostly 2nd and 3rd shift and I feel as an equal to all the other employees. And the director has done a lot of good things for the program Good starting pay with benefits. The counselors are a good fit and easy to work with as is the social service worker.

Cons

Cheaper insurance... that's really it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"Amazing Experience"

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time

Pros

The time I spent at Dismas Charities Sioux City proved to be wildly rewarding. I enjoyed working with staff members who care about their job and the residents in the facility. Every day was a different experience. Working in a fast paced environment made the time go by quickly.
    If you work hard and do what is expected of you then you WILL succeed with the company.
    The Director of the facility genuinely cares about her employees and the residents. If you have open, honest communication with management then they will work with whatever issues you have. The teamwork between the admin staff was always great to watch and encouraging to see individuals helping each other in the work place. I have modeled my current work relationships from what I learned while working at Dismas Charities.
    Seeing residents succeed and express gratitude for the help they received while residing at the facility was the most rewarding part of working for his company.
    Overall I loved the time I spent working here, it has helped me be successful in my current employment and I would absolutely recommend this job to a friend.

Cons

The days/hours can be hard but this is a 24/7 operating facility so shiftwork is required.
    Working with some residents in this population can be challenging.

Advice to Management

It may be beneficial to offer more training opportunities for Resident Monitors.

"A professional company from top to bottom."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The pay for an entry level position is competitive. As you advance you receive generous pay increases.
    -I have had plenty of experiences with upper management and I can say that this company cares about you. You won't find that in many places.
    - You can go as far as your want. If you work hard you will be rewarded. There are always opportunities to advance at other locations in the country if positions aren't available at your current location.
    - You work with a unique population and have a chance to make a difference. No day is ever the same.
    - The Director will always work with you if you have a scheduling conflict. You have to be willing to communicate. She cares about her staff.
    - The retirement plan is fully funded by Dismas. You don't have to pay into it.
    - Dismas is a great stepping stone for a career in many different fields or to become a lifer at the company.

Cons

- The population can be difficult to work with at times but that is one of the most rewarding parts of the job. We work in this environment to help the residents make positive changes in their lives.

Advice to Management

The management really knows what they are doing. From Director to upper management at the corporate office. I had an opportunity to meet the CEO and VP of the company. They knew who each staff member was and what their strengths were.