Dismas Charities Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raymond J. Weis

1. "Great place to work but Medical Benefits are ridiculously expensive. They cost almost two weeks pay."

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in West Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Resident Monitor in West Springfield, VA

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are awesome with on the job training and room for advancement.

Cons

Dealing each day with ex prisoners takes a toll on you.

Advice to Management

Make the benefit package more affordable to allow employees the option of staying long term.

2. "Be Weary"

Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any Pro's. Insurance was moderate if that is a pro.

Cons

Upper Management. They set employees up for success . Most hateful people I have ever run into. They say they heal the human spirit but this does not include staff. Staff development and advancement does not happen often if at all.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and help them develop to be better employees instead of turning on them. Do not ask for opinions then retaliate against them. You lose good employees when you do this. Understand that even though there are differences of opinion that an employee is looking out for the community and has their best interest in mind.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Director is always pushing use to do better and is willing to work with us. I work mostly 2nd and 3rd shift and I feel as an equal to all the other employees. And the director has done a lot of good things for the program Good starting pay with benefits. The counselors are a good fit and easy to work with as is the social service worker.

Cons

Cheaper insurance... that's really it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"Amazing Experience"

I worked at Dismas Charities full-time

Pros

The time I spent at Dismas Charities Sioux City proved to be wildly rewarding. I enjoyed working with staff members who care about their job and the residents in the facility. Every day was a different experience. Working in a fast paced environment made the time go by quickly.
    If you work hard and do what is expected of you then you WILL succeed with the company.
    The Director of the facility genuinely cares about her employees and the residents. If you have open, honest communication with management then they will work with whatever issues you have. The teamwork between the admin staff was always great to watch and encouraging to see individuals helping each other in the work place. I have modeled my current work relationships from what I learned while working at Dismas Charities.
    Seeing residents succeed and express gratitude for the help they received while residing at the facility was the most rewarding part of working for his company.
    Overall I loved the time I spent working here, it has helped me be successful in my current employment and I would absolutely recommend this job to a friend.

Cons

The days/hours can be hard but this is a 24/7 operating facility so shiftwork is required.
    Working with some residents in this population can be challenging.

Advice to Management

It may be beneficial to offer more training opportunities for Resident Monitors.

"A professional company from top to bottom."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The pay for an entry level position is competitive. As you advance you receive generous pay increases.
    -I have had plenty of experiences with upper management and I can say that this company cares about you. You won't find that in many places.
    - You can go as far as your want. If you work hard you will be rewarded. There are always opportunities to advance at other locations in the country if positions aren't available at your current location.
    - You work with a unique population and have a chance to make a difference. No day is ever the same.
    - The Director will always work with you if you have a scheduling conflict. You have to be willing to communicate. She cares about her staff.
    - The retirement plan is fully funded by Dismas. You don't have to pay into it.
    - Dismas is a great stepping stone for a career in many different fields or to become a lifer at the company.

Cons

- The population can be difficult to work with at times but that is one of the most rewarding parts of the job. We work in this environment to help the residents make positive changes in their lives.

Advice to Management

The management really knows what they are doing. From Director to upper management at the corporate office. I had an opportunity to meet the CEO and VP of the company. They knew who each staff member was and what their strengths were.

6. "More than a job. Fulfilling and rewarding every day."

Current Employee - Employee in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Employee in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent employee benefits, retirement plan and competitive salary
    A corporate management team that sincerely cares about the employees all the way to the front line
    Able to work with community members and law enforcement all mission minded to successful reentry
    Daily rewarding opportunity to impact the lives of many
    Every day is unique and different and this job is NEVER boring or unfulfilling
    Opportunity for continual training and advancement on all levels

Cons

The challenges are not significant enough to list as when you work with people -people are often the challenge. If you are a positive, compassionate, mission minded person that genuinely wants to help do good-this is the place to start.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing opportunities for training, experience and advancement and you'll never go wrong. Management has an excellent eye for good employees and those who mesh well with our mission. There's a reason why we have been around for 50+ years. Dismas does things by design not by default.

"Love/Hate my job!"

I have been working at Dismas Charities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay isn't bad. Retirement is good. I love my job when I don't have to deal with the person in charge. I like when a resident gets a job, raise and connects with family.

Cons

The person is charge shouldn't be in charge. She has her favorite employees and her not favorite. She threatens to fire people. She has no follow through. She disciplines a resident for a month of no smoking and takes it back after a week. She has some good ideas, but doesn't follow through on them. She is not a planner. Everything is last minute. She buys lunch for her "A" team on the company credit card. The other shifts get nothing except to clean up after her and the "A" team. She brings her children to work when she doesn't have day care. There are sex offenders that are housed there. We also get to clean up after them. You can't get any face to face time with her unless you are the "A" team. She is busy chatting during 1st shift so then she plays catch up on 2nd shift before leaving. When she is on call, she doesn't answer her phone. The rules change from one staff member to another, from one resident to another. She has threatened to fire everyone and start over numerous times. Insurance sucks!

Advice to Management

New director

"Resident Monitor"

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Dismas Charities part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyday was a different experience, interacting with the residents, knowing you are there to help the residents become productive members of society.

Cons

The work environment was very stressful and draining. You never know what kind of day you're going to have when you walk through the front door. One day management will talk to you and act like she likes you and appreciates what you do and the next day you walk in she will totally ignore you and treat you like you are beneath her. She says she has an open door policy, but don't expect her to actually act like she is listening to what you have to say. She will let you in her office to talk but she is busy on her cell phone or "answering an email". If your concern is about one of her "In crowd" employees, don't bother. I know there is work not being completed but the paperwork is being signed off on. How unethical is that? I've heard her say several times to her "in crowd" employees, "Know your audience". What does that mean? She knows you are not doing your work properly but that is fine as long as no one sees that your not doing your work? There are constant shift wars because the woman in charge allows it and may be the cause of it. 1st shift is made up of all her favorite employees, 2nd shift is there to pick up all the slack from 1st shift and she has been known to call 3rd shift employees, "janitors". If that is not being the cause of shift wars, I don't know what is. All of her favorite employees work during 1st shift and do nothing but sit in the back offices talking, playing pranks on each other, getting lunch bought for them on company dime, and having a little lunch gathering while still on the clock with no one watching the front office. It was very stressful working with/for people who are unqualified to be in the positions they are in. They do not have basic people skills and they have very bad, negative attitudes towards residents, lower staff, and the job. There are people there who are there just for a paycheck. This is the type of job you should be in if you want to help people. If you are not good with people and do not want the best for people in general, you should not work there. There is a 1st shift employee who is allowed to talk to the residents as though they are beneath him and when the residents defend themselves verbally, they get a write up for disrespecting staff. What about the staff who disrespected the residents? They are humans too, they should not be treated that way. She not only has her favorite employees who she lets get away with doing nothing and not enforcing the rules she also has her favorite residents who she lets get away with breaking the rules while other residents get wrote up for doing the same thing. If you are not in her "in crowd" you are not valued or respected.

Advice to Management

The overturn is outrageous since this woman took over. She needs to learn how to treat people with respect and treat all of her employees equally.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Resident Monitor in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Dismas Charities part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Learn a lot about the federal prison system
    Great place to learn and grow
    Great pay for a second job

Cons

The lady that runs this place is a joke and the way she runs it is an even bigger joke. She has her 'a' team which is her favorite employees that she lets do whatever they want besides actually work. She orders them in food on the company's dime and then expects the 2nd and 3rd shift employees clean up the mess. This lady once called the 3rd shift janitors and that's why they were hired. She worked with my schedule (I had a full time job) and then got mad when I would request days off and then all of a sudden she acted like a 5 year old towards me. If you needed to talk to her, it never happened. She always had time for her 'a' team but nobody else. She will sit and chit chat with her 'a' team all day and get nothing accomplished and then expected 2nd shift to do everything and pick up the slack. Explain to me why there would be 5 people working 1st shift when the majority of the population wouldn't be there but only 2 people on 2nd shift when the whole house was there? Horrible person to work for so don't even attempt.

Advice to Management

Please look into more about the lady running your facility.

10. "Run away!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dismas Charities (More than a year)

Pros

None really! Pay is awful!

Cons

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for...

Advice to Management

Shut down!