Disney College Program Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Robert A. Iger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • loved being able to get into the parks for free, and the merch discount was great too (in 22 reviews)

• Perks of free admission to parks (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • the worst part of working on the disney college program was the long hours (in 32 reviews)

• The benefits make the minimum wage pay worth it for people who are fans of Disney but that is about it (in 14 reviews)

"Amazing experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney College Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting into parks for free, meeting best friends of my life, getting to make tons of magic, meeting people from around the world, getting to experience all Disney World has to offer while making money and incredible memories.

Cons

Working long hours nights and holidays can be annoying at the time, but once you leave you end up missing it all.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I had a great experience with my role. The bus system can be iffy and the apartments can be expensive for what you get, but remember its temporary.

2. "There's a time and place for it..."

Former Employee - Custodial in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Custodial in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney College Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of cool Disney perks. Opportunities to meet people from across the globe. Decent housing.

Buses go to other places other than Disney.

Cons

I got a weird vibe from management. if you're a grad student or been out of the college scene for a little while it can feel like a waste of time unless you're really into Disney.

Schedule changed constantly and they changed the time-off policy for the worst.

The bus situation can be annoying. Especially if you work at a far away resort. Bring your car.

Advice to Management

I don't have much to say, they made expectations pretty clear.

"Merchandise"

Current Employee - Merchandise Cast Member in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Cast Member in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Disney College Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get into the parks for free, meet people from all over the world, looks good on a resume

Cons

Rent is super expensive and they don't really do maintenance on the apartments, paid very little, transtar busses have almost killed several people and been in so many accidents on my program, they will try to term you for anything (one girl got termed for feeding a cat, another person got termed because her roommate didn't like her and told housing that she was depressed), If you bring something up to leadership or housing they will try to pressure you to self term if it's at their inconvenience

Advice to Management

Better recognition to cps, lower rent and dont make CP's pay for parking at their own complex, be more helpful during housing situations, be more understanding of college students and offer more support than negative responses to situations, also bring back the ability to giveaway shifts or at least bring it back to where you can giveaway a minimum amount of shifts away a week

4. "Dinsey College Program"

I have been working at Disney College Program full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to network in the company if you put in the time and effort.

Cons

Long work hours, and now that we are unable to give away shifts, it is very difficult to plan to do anything ahead of time.

"Stalled my College Graduation, Wasn't Worth It"

Former Employee - College Program in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - College Program in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney College Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free admission to the parks and discounts on merchandise and hotels are nice. Certain employee benefits like Cast Connection for discounted merch.
    This program gives you valuable life experiences: I learned that I am worth much more than $7/hour, and I will always be striving to have a better career than a glorified indentured servant at a gigantic corporation.

Cons

I did this program with much higher expectations and wish I had seen more honest reviews before signing my time away, so I hope this helps at least one person before making their decision.
    The way this program is set up requires you to take a semester off college. They advertise it as a "college" experience and offer classes they claim can be used as university credits, even though this is false, as "Disney University" isn't a real school and therefore cannot award class credits. There is nothing college-related about the program, aside from being surrounded by fellow college-aged people from the US and abroad. You will work 40 hours a week or more, and get assigned the worst schedules because you are a cheap source of labor with no long-term benefits from the company.
    This program targets people who are caught up in the Disney brand and don't mind working and living in very sub-par conditions for the sake of being surrounded by nothing but the company's ecosystem.
    College students are paid less than regular full-time employees, and rent is taken directly from your paycheck. I made about $130/week working 40 hours or more each week. Housing is very low quality and if you do not have a car with you, do not expect to have any freedom in your free time at all. Each apartment complex is guarded 24/7 by an outsourced security company whose effectiveness and demeanor can only be compared to airport TSA. Apartment management does not care about you, and if you need something fixed don't expect it to be taken care of in a timely manner.
    When you are done with your program they try to convince you to continue working there as a seasonal employee. What Disney is trying to do is have a large pool of minimum-wage employees working the easy jobs without paying long-term benefits or livable wages.

Advice to Management

Management gives the college workers the least desirable schedules because those workers have the lowest wages and no say in anything. Management is very dismissive and disrespectful to CP employees for the sake of making themselves look like higher performers and pleasing their own managers. Sometimes they ask for "feedback" (as mandated by a higher-up I'm assuming) or interview CPs on what can be improved, but outside opinions are seldom considered.
    If the faked empathy the managers show towards park visitors could be given to CPs now and then, working there might have been less horrible.

"Best company to work for"

Former Employee - Merchandise Cast Member in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Cast Member in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney College Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything. Great leaders, coordinators and coworkers. Positive work environment everyday. I believe the work done is very satisfying and made me leave happy every day

Cons

Long days and late night hours but still very worth it and lots of fun. The weather can become very hot in the costumes depending on the location

7. "Great life experience!"

I worked at Disney College Program full-time

Pros

Meet awesome people from all ove the world and enjoy the happiest place in the world.

Cons

The job is not hard but it's energy-consuming.

8. "Would not recommend"

Pros

Get into the parks for free
    Make friends that will last a lifetime
    Discounts
    Housing is set up by Disney

Cons

Can work up to 70 hours a week, up to 16 hour shifts
    It is clear Disney does not care about you. You are just a number.
    They advertise this is a great networking opportunity and chance to move up in the company. I have not found that to be the case. Everyone that I know that has stayed with Disney after the program is stuck working part time in the same position.

"DCP"

Former Employee - Program Intern in Alviso, CA
    Former Employee - Program Intern in Alviso, CA

I worked at Disney College Program (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience to put on your resume, the Customer Service experience you gain is invaluable.

Cons

Not full time but you get a lot of hours during the peak season, but if you're living in the college program housing your paychecks don't go very far.

Advice to Management

Keep taking an interest in the Cast Members and developing them

10. "College program"

Pros

Management was great. Very organized and understanding to your life. They were willing to help you with anything you needed.

Cons

The pay sucks. Especially in the summer time since you aren't given very many hours. Housing was also terrible. I had a problem with bed bugs in the apartments. Was not the only one that had that problem