Cover image for Disney Cruise Vacations

Disney Cruise Vacations

Is this your company?

Disney Cruise Vacations

Add a Review

Disney Cruise Vacations Employee Reviews about "around the world"

Updated Apr 15, 2021

4.1
Disney Cruise Vacations CEO Karl Holz
Karl Holz

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Meet great people every week and have once in a lifetime experiences week after week.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Benefits are great and they set you up for success(in 11 reviews)
  • "Good salary and keep you on your toes.(in 7 reviews)
  • "I’m bias and enjoy the product and the opportunities to truly work in an international environment that is diverse(in 4 reviews)
  • "Free food and lodging.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "Hours are long but worthwhile(in 21 reviews)
  • "Low pay and very structured operation with sitting taking calls 8 hours a day(in 12 reviews)
  • "Crazy long hours(in 8 reviews)
  • "Horrible leadership, discrimination, micro management and very low or none work ethics.(in 4 reviews)
  • "The managers are mean and losing sense of political freedom because they are tired as well(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Disney Cruise Vacations and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "around the world"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great to make international friends

Oct 11, 2020 - Entertainment Technician Shipwide in Port Canaveral, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Traveling around the world, the opportunity to make amazing friends from around the world, amazing way to save money

Cons

Unless you're an officer, you have to share a cabin and the crew food isn't always the best

2. 2.0
    Current Employee

DCL Youth Activities Counselor

Jan 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The travel and free flights are pretty cool. The pay isn't bad and the disney perks like the passes are kind of cool too. You save a lot which is nice and because you have friends around the world you have places to stay. You might even meet a super special someone like a future wife or husband as most people on this ship do. But thats pretty much the only reason I gave this job 2 stars is because I met my wife there.

Cons

The Ship: I was placed on the disney Dream and although its the bigger ship of the four, Disney limits your access to the majority of the ship. Because Youth activities is apart of the entertainment department you have more access to the ship then others such as the pools and theaters. But other than that you an awful game room with a pool table thats useless because when the ship rocks all the balls move, a running deck to get out all of your anxiety about being stuck on a ship, and a small bar that's always too busy to buy drinks and full of creep guys looking to swoop up a girl who's had one too many. The living quarters are also ridiculous. Any cruise line around the world will have small rooms but these are ridiculous. I'm only 5'6" and I cant spread my arms out without hitting anything. Because they're so concerned about the guests they added space to the guest rooms by taking away from yours. Ship life: You work everyday for 9+ hours for months with kids. You're gonna be tired so just accept it. I thought I was a relaxed and chilled person but everyone has their limits and how to deal with their problems. If you think it's gonna be a fun party lifestyle job look somewhere else. You're only allowed beer and wine in your room and they water down everything at the crew bar. If you're a male like me, be prepared to work with a mainly female employees. It sounds awesome at first if you're into that sort of thing but the drama on a daily basis is too much sometimes. On the older ships with older employees it's nearly impossible to make friends due to the fact that they don't take kindly to new faces. It's a lonely life as it is on any cruise line, the difference is that because its disney your expectations are higher which means that it hurts more when it all falls. Another thing to keep in mind is that internet isn't free you pay for it. By the end of my first contract I had spent well over 300 dollars on internet for a couple months because you pay 10 dollars for 250 MB. So if you have a business at home or need to connect to family while on the ship, be prepared to pay for it. The food in the mess is also the most unhealthy and non tasty stuff on the planet. I have friends from Africa who have even told me and I quote, "I come from a third world country, and not even our food is this bad." You aren't allowed to eat in the guest areas without a request which won't always line up with your daily schedule and their might not always be space available for you. The Job: You like standing? Good, that's all you do. When the recruiters and interviewers talk to you about the job they always fail to mention that you'll be standing for hours IN ONE SPOT. It seems like you'll be playing with kids a lot which you do. But there are some things that you have to do like stand in front of the bathrooms to make sure the kids wash their hands thats not in the job description. sometimes you'll be stuck there for hours before the floor manager remembers to move you. The worst is the Castaway Cay. You'll be standing in a pool of you're own sweat for hours not allowed to move without permission just to make sure a kid doesn't go near a gate. Because Youth activities is such a large department you'll be assigned to help out around the ship such as firework duty, making sure guests don't go in danger zones, or welcome line where you stand and clap for every family that walks on board. Aside from the non stop standing you'll also be involved in the most ridiculous cleaning standards known to mankind. By the end of your first contract the smell of bleach will haunt you because of how much you use it to clean. The managers are so worried about dust and kids touching things that we do a thorough bleach clean multiple times a day. Everyone does it so theres no getting out of it. But at the end of the day if you're on closing team, the managers will come with flashlights and check and call you out for the most minor and insignificant things like a speck of dust on a picture frame. I can only speak for the Disney dream as I haven't been on the other ships, but let me tell you that you'll see the best and worst of kids and their parents. Sometimes your interactions with kids is awesome and you'll remember them forever. But when you're stuck in the kids club with kids ages 3 to 12, most of the time you're dealing with crying 3 and 4 year olds cause their parents either dropped them off and ran or the older kids aren't letting them play. The club itself really isn't that big and there will be times where you have over 200 kids. This past Christmas morning we had 280 kids checked in at 10 in the morning and most of them were crying because they just wanted to play with the toys in their rooms but their parents wanted to spend christmas morning alone. Speaking of the parents we really bend over backwards for them. Any sort of complaint that we get we end up treating them like VIPs just to avoid a bad review. And thats even if we did nothing wrong. For example we have a strict no 2 year old policy. But if a parent decides to kick up a fuss we will give them gift bags and invitations for free hours at our nursery followed by personal visits by our manager. It's honestly disgusting how awful parents can be over the smallest things and we will do anything just to change their minds. We reward bad behavior and the guests know it and take advantage of it. And being but mere counselors on the front desk, we're on the front lines and take the full hit for it. Final Note: Not all the ships travel. If you want to travel the world and you end up being put on the Disney Dream, dont even bother getting on the plane. They travel from Sketchville Florida, to dangerzone Bahamas, to Disney island and back. You see nothing and trying to transfer to a new ship is close to impossible because no one ever leaves the other ships. Some find this job amazing and love it. But for me and my friends that have been here long enough we've seen enough people come and go to understand that no one should ever do this job without fully accepting what the job is like. I wrote this review in hopes to warn those thinking about applying. You will be tested emotionally and physically as this job demands everything from you. I have a friend who went from this job to the navy and she told me that the inside DCL joke is true. Between the Navy and Disney, being in Navy is easier because at least you don't have to smile.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Disney Cruise Vacations team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Disney Cruise Lines

Dec 21, 2017 - Youth Activities Counsleor in Port Canaveral, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are able to travel and work with people from all around the world. It truly is a one of a kind experience. Great for people who are just out of college, in their 20s-30s.

Cons

Within the company you are easily replaceable.

5. 4.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Performer

Dec 12, 2016 - Main Stage Performer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great money for a performer. Got to travel and see a lot of amazing places. Park passes for Disney World. Getting to meet so many interesting people from around the world who work there. The disney characters. Wonderful crew. Great People. An incredible adventure.

Cons

They are VERY strict. Especially when it comes to cruises. Some of the officers have "god" complexes and don't treat people well. Not enough ports or ships to provide different itineraries.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee

See the world, but work VERY hard for it.

Jul 25, 2015 - Youth Activities Counselor in Celebration, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travelling the world. Waking up in a new place every day. Meeting great people from around the world. If you're a Disney fan (and I would not recommend this job if you're not) then working with the characters is really good fun.

Cons

70-90 hours a week, every day, for 6+ months. You don't know exhaustion until you've worked on a ship! In Youth Activities there was very much a culture of favouritism. Most internal promotions were given out to the favourites whether or not they were deserving. Bullying is overlooked - as long as they guests are happy, management dont care if you are struggling.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Contractor, more than 3 years

A wonderful place to work

Jan 22, 2015 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Disney Cruise Line is an amazing place to work. It combines the enchantment and magic that Disney is known for with the allure of the sea. You work with crew members from around the world, and wake up in a new part of the world every day. Leadership teams onboard nurture you into your role within the company and support upward mobility within the department, or even within different departments. The friendships and bonds you create with your fellow co-workers are very strong, and will follow you beyond life on the ship.

Cons

Hours are very long. Most crew members work a minimum of 62.5 hours per week. Most departments to not have days off during their contract. The food in the crew mess can be questionable at times. Questionable because sometimes even the cooks don't know what they are cooking.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Excellent

Apr 15, 2021 - Youth Activities Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good salary Amazing company Good culture and people from all around the world

Cons

Long hours Sometimes is very tired

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Hard Work and Lots of Overtime

Aug 9, 2019 - Recreation Staff in Marsh Harbour
    Business Outlook

Pros

Make friends from around the world!

Cons

Lots of additional tasks not spoken about during the interview.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good life experience, bad lifestyle

Feb 5, 2018 - Youth Counselor in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can keep your entire salary without paying rent, food, etc. Its great to save some money and travel a little bit. Training provided, great costumer service experience| Make great friends from around the world

Cons

Long hours, no days off, just a few hours off the ship (so travelling is not worth it) Too much unhealthy food, awful lifestyle

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Merchandise hostess

Jan 24, 2016 - Merchandise Hostess in Liverpool, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Meet people from different countries around the world

Cons

No days off for 6 months, minimum contract hours of 70 per week, sharing a room of 10ftx10ft with other people, same food in the canteen everyday, strict rules of conduct, racial clashes, working 15 hours with only two one hour breaks for lunch and dinner included, advising us to lie to guests how great it is to work for Disney, hire people of certain nationalities to do jobs other nations aren't seen capable of, $2.20 an hourly rate, a jail basically

5 people found this review helpful