Disney Parks & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

"Massive reorganization"

Current Employee - Scheduler in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay. Deadlines are easy to make. No micro managing and simple assignments. It's very different from front line Walt Disney Parks & Resorts positions.

Cons

Building environment is very negative. People are arrogant and unable to work well with others. A day without my headphones is a tragic day.

2. "Treated employees poorly"

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts part-time

Pros

1. good benefits if you like to go to the parks
    2. Great people to work with

Cons

1. bad pay if you're a lower level employee
    2. Forget about their employees

3. "Opinions from hourly cast member working in resorts."

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on dining, merchandise, hotel stays, cruises, etc. Free admission to all parks (not water) with no restrictions for CAST MEMBER ONLY, and ability to admit up to 4 guests with your ID about 12 to 16 times per year (I forget). There is also a period of free water park admission (park may vary depending on time of year) for cast member and half off discounts for friends, family. Benefits, (Medical, dental, vision, other options such as legal, etc. for F/T cast members) pension, etc.

Cons

You will be working with the laziest people in the world. A good amount of cast members know they are on the clock and walk from point A to point B at a snail's pace, holding up everyone in back of them who are trying to get work done.
    If you are hard working, you will be recognized and treated well, but since 3/4 of Disney employees call out sick everyday with no consequences until 6 months later when everything finally catches up to them, you will be responsible for doing more and more work because chances are, the 1/4 who did show up to work will probably not be doing jack lol.

Advice to Management

Urge YOUR higher ups to not tolerate the absenteeism. It's wrecking what could be a decent work experience for others. I know it doesn't affect all locations but there are some locations with low labor budgets and it makes working there suck.

5. "Housekeeping Manager"

Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall company beliefs and goals for the guest experience

Cons

No work life balance and not enough leadership for the requirements of the job.

Advice to Management

leaders are being spread too thin and are tired.

6. "Disney College Program"

Former Intern - Disney College Program in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Intern - Disney College Program in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited access to the parks
    -Discount on food and merchandise
    -Diverse with people from around the world
    -Disney Looks good on your resume especially if you want to continue to work in the hospitality industry

Cons

-Disney encourages snitching. If your underage roommates are drinking at the apartments, you are expected to tell Disney. If you are in your bedroom and completely unaware about what your roommates are doing, you can get in trouble. If your roommates are messy, you can get fined.

-There are ridiculous rules such not being able to have a lightsaber in your apartment even though lightsaber are sold at the parks

-Overpriced old apartments filled with roaches. Orlando is not expensive. For $400-$-500 per month, you can have you own room and bathroom at an apartment complex that much newer without worrying about roaches and sharing with it with other people. I am not sure how true this is I heard Disney Received Vista way for free from Coca Cola. During my time there, planning to add 3 to a room at some apartment complexes. I am not sure if that is legal to have so many people in an unit. Each time Florida raise the minimum wage, Disney will raise the rent of the overpriced dirty apartments.

-Although I was promised 40 hours per week, I received at most about 35 hours. By the time I would receive my check, it would only be $100-150 after rent, taxes, SS, and medicaid was taken out the check. It was good thing I saved money when I moved to Orlando and I sold my car. Many people's parents had to send them money and some had to quit because they did not make enough money/received enough hours.

-They are not natural hair friendly. A supervisor pulled me aside about my hair and said it was too puffy. ABSOLUTELY UNCALLED FOR! The hair of people of African descent , without weave, chemicals, and straighteners, grows naturally UP. I was 19 at the time so I was unaware that I should have contacted HR.

Would I recommend Disney? It depends on you. Some people had a much better experience than me and some had it worse. My bad experience does negate others' positive experience. Most of my roommates were good. If you are on the Facebook Group page looking for a roommate, just know can be completely different then in person. Some people preferred their random roommate over those they choose. Make sure you save money before the program and be careful how you engage with cast members who you work and live with.

Advice to Management

Stop making employees who do not have a management position responsible for other people's behavior.

7. "Not a Happy Place for Contractors"

Former Contractor - Applications Developer in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Applications Developer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly pay, interesting work

Cons

Terrible working conditions for contractors. Contractors are packed 3 per cubicle and are frequently let go on a whim. There are tons of contractors from overseas while American employees have been laid off. People are treated Resources, without the Human.

Advice to Management

Stop being so profit driven. You are already beyond extremely wealthy. Contractors are people, too. Stop laying off employees and replacing them with temporary labor. Treat workers much better.

8. "Disney Diver"

Former Employee - Transportation in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Transportation in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company, friendly working environment. I enjoyed making the magic.

Cons

They neglect to tell you that full time in set at 32 hours if you are lucky. There rarely is overtime, since they hire more drivers to take those extra hours so they can avoid paying more. Good business strategy but sucks for the employees.

Advice to Management

To pay for CDL training and then try nothing to increase driver retention is foolhardy. There should be more incentives to keep the drivers instead of the revolving door. As it stands now every few months you have to hire and train a new group of drivers after your seasoned ones have found better paying jobs. This doesn't make good business sense. You are letting your veteran drivers go with so incentive for them to stay so you have got rookie drivers transporting your guest. Scheduling is lacking as well as management. You are only a number, nobody takes the time to get to know their employees. Managers rotate so often you never get to know their name or build up trust in them. So overall a good company but lacking in leadership and taking care of it people.

"A Slow Decent into Disappointment"

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time

Pros

There is a great atmosphere, and a desire to do well amongst all of the cast members. Benefits are great.

Cons

The pay isn't great for similar jobs in the area. They show no appreciation for the employees, and don't try to retain people long term. Change happens often and they don't train well enough for it. They can change your job entirely without your consent or opinion.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the way training is implemented and try to show appreciation for the work people do. Try to retain the cast with higher tenure to avoid higher turnover.

10. "Restaurants"

Pros

The perks are great. You get into the park free every day of the year and all other affiliates like Walt Disne World, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disney, etc.

Cons

Crazy hours, parking is far, strict rules and guidelines

Advice to Management

Be understanding on a peer level as well as a superior.

"The real side of Disney is ugly"

Pros

Park entrance, but constantly cut benefits so who knows how long it will last. Very easy call out system.

Cons

The pay is insulting for all the work and money you bring in. The training is to brainwash you how lucky you are to be another number. I heard constantly- if you won't do this, hundreds of people will because they want to work for Disney.

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul.

Showing 199 of 2,550 reviews