Disney Parks & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017
2,130 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,130 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Company Perks - free park admission (in 144 reviews)

• The most enjoyable part of the job was working with amazing cast members (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • Tiring shifts and long hours sometimes (in 180 reviews)

• Managers don't care the great majority of cast members suck (in 158 reviews)

"Talent is rewarded - but we were expected to work 50-60 hours per week!"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, including free passes to Disney Parks. Fun atmosphere in general, but in Finance, it's all business. Before Disneyland Resort was absorbed into Parks & Resorts, opportunities abounded.

Cons

Since becoming part of worldwide Parks & Resorts, Most of the Finance departments report into senior management in Florida. My department had several Sr. level contributors all reporting to different Sr. Managers (or above) in Florida. The problem was that the Florida management did not understand California laws, or value our previous standards. Some managers only saw the big projects on our desks and overlooked all of the other day to day responsibilities, and their expectations were that we worked at least 10 hour days and be available for evening and weekend issues. There were a lot of overworked, stressed out talented individuals when I left.

Advice to Management

In Southern California it is said in many circles "if you could succeed at Disney you could succeed anywhere". It is known as a difficult place to work where there is little work-life balance and expectations are that you are always in hyper mode. This eventually stifles creativity and wears out your talent.

2. "Construction PM"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good company to work for. This can be very different depending on your role or manager

Cons

Lots of red tape - almost government like.

3. "Dead end -- don't ever work here if you care about your career and future"

Former Employee - Park Operations in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Park Operations in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get into the parks for free. You can meet a lot of great friends. Stands out on a resume if you're looking for jobs outside of florida. Everyone has to wear a name tag so you don't have to remember your co workers names.

Cons

Don't work here if you ever want to move up or make any money. Having a degree means nothing here. I have bachelors, and I know people with MBA'S who were stuck. Most people in desirable positions have degrees that have nothing to do with their jobs (English degree working as a marketing manager) and thus they have no clue what they're doing. The only way to get into those positions is to either do a professional internship and hope they keep you, or know someone. It's almost impossible to advance to middle management, and even then you're only making about 30k. Once you get there, get comfortable. Most managers have and never will move up. Only way to advance really is to leave and get outside experience (but you'll come back to half of what you make elsewhere). Also probably a third of the current management staff were promoted to that position after 9/11 after the company had massive lay offs then realized attendance wasn't affected. Another big thing is that any idea that isn't hatched by an executive is basically pointless because they think they are the only smart ones (they're usually pretty useless and clueless)

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent you have and keep them. So many great candidates leave because the managers feel threatened by anyone who is smarter than them and then basically blacklists them. Also, the way managers get recogniton is basically by how many cast members you can reprimand. Provide more advancement opportunities. Just because someone works a front line position doesn't mean they aren't capable of moving up. Stop promoting unqualified candidates because they suck up to you. Also, listen to other people's ideas. Every level of the company refuses to listen to anyone on a lower level than themselves even if it's an obviously better idea.

5. "Entry Level Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Entry Level Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Park Passes and Happy Environment

Cons

Not a chance to interact with upper management

Advice to Management

Be a little more personable with your employees

6. "The work isn't bad, but the mobility is"

Former Employee - Premium Cast Member in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Premium Cast Member in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable work environment and the leaders are mostly very good, many with prior Guest service and recovery experience.

Cons

Advancement is very difficult and politics are definitely involved in more ways than one.

7. "Working at Disney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, co workers, great product

Cons

restrictive policies, bureaucratic enviroment, hard to get things done

"Manager, Engineering Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work. People really care about their relationship with both Guests and other employees. Proud to be associated with the brand.

Cons

Non-financial benefits are through the roof! Especially good if you have kids or family that love Disney.

9. "Professional Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This position offers the opportunity to learn the nature of the business, work on the project management team with various projects throughout the project life cycle, learn other areas, and network with disney cast members and contractors. If you perform well has an intern, there's a possiblity you could extend your internship but it's not a guarantee. Lastly, it's not wonder why Disney's the most joyous place on Earth and within the top 3 most admired companies to work for, because the culture here is phenomenal ! Majority of the people you meet are helpful and would like to help you succeed, but you have to OWN your career and not expect others to pave your career path!

Cons

Depending on the fiscal quarter, your ability to grasp concepts of the business and expectations, and your mentor's ability to trust you with their projects, you may not work on a project independently. This is especially true within in your first term.

10. "Nice Dream, Bitter Reality"

Current Employee - Training Facilitation Coordinator in Celebration, FL
    Current Employee - Training Facilitation Coordinator in Celebration, FL

I have been working at Disney Parks & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice health, dental, vision, HSA, PTO, Sick and Paternity Leave. Great Culture and traditions.

Cons

Leadership inconsistently demonstrate company values and this sends a mixed message to employees. Lower than average pay with very high expectations. No opportunity for bonuses or overtime.

Advice to Management

Refocus on your non union office and technical Employees. Recent improvements to compensation of unionized front line employees has not trickled up to O&T.

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - The Disney College Program - Custodial in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - The Disney College Program - Custodial in Orlando, FL

I worked at Disney Parks & Resorts (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for The Walt Disney Company was truly an amazing experience. I participated in The Disney College Program where I worked in a resort. In the brief time I had working with the company I can say that I worked in one of the best places in Walt Disney World. I was able to work for and with people from all around the world. I worked with a team that supported each other and recognized all of the great accomplishemnts made by each member on the team. Communication with management was never difficult. Someone was always willing and able to help in any given situation.

Cons

While we all did work as a team some people worked harder than others. Sometimes tasks became difficult when working with people from other countries due to language barriers.

Showing 2,130 of 2,647 reviews