Disney Store Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Call in shifts were inconvenient (in 18 reviews)

• Cast members (sales associates) have EXTREMELY few hours per week (typically 8-12, closer to 20 during rush times like Christmas) (in 24 reviews)

"Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Disney Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All things Disney! What could make for a better job! All the people I worked with were amazing! I love Disney and was so excited to work for this fun and awesome company in a fun environment!

Cons

All the kids were my biggest problem, it that is just part of the job with any Disney company. I did start to grow tired of the same round of songs all day. There are a ton of Disney songs, I never got why it was a small amount to listen to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and add more songs!

"Making Magic"

Current Employee - Cast Member - Part Time in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Cast Member - Part Time in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Disney Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company that cares about its employees
    Amazing benefits (Free admission to Disney parks for you and dependents, occasional complimentary tickets for friends and family to Disney parks, discount on all things Disney)
    Wonderful environment - leadership opportunities for those who show initiative
    Walt Disney Company looks good on a resume
    Once you have your foot in the door with Disney, you can take advantage of other career opportunities and programs ( Disney parks, Disney cruise line, Disney college program etc.)

Cons

Hours for part-time employees is very small. The max is technically 12 hours and the least is like 4 hours.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Disney Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for:
    - Great Internal guest experience/ focused on training and development
    - Best in industry benefits
    - Live the Disney Culture

Cons

Bricks and mortar stores in malls are struggling at most retailers/ Disney Stores has a loyal following and guests who will continue to shop stores for the unique Disney Experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to support teams with tools and payroll to provide great internal and external guest experiences.

"Great company, great benefits, but highly stressful enviroment for an introvert."

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sale Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Disney Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits. Complimentary park tickets!

Cons

Job clearly for extroverts, stressful.

Advice to Management

When I became part of my store's ohana, I was actually very shy. I'm In fact, this was my first job ever. I'm super surprised management gave me such an amazing chance. This job taught, or more like, forced me to become an extrovert: it taught me voice volume and how to interact with children. It's such an amazing experience, I wouldn't trade what I learned for the world. The coworkers are friendly and sincerely caring, something I am sure I won't find in another retail job.

However, the expectations they expect of you as a Cast Member is truly stressing. As an introvert, I get extremely tired of human interaction. A management might ask you to do events (such as Storytime or the Imagination Parade with children around the store) they might ask you to push your sale speech on guests in a magical, but efficient way. Sometimes after work, I get so tired that I can't function for the rest of the day. You'll have to be able to put up a happy front everytime you are at work. You can't show distress. And it's only four hours, mind you, that I'm in the store. It's just really four hours jam-packed with human interaction.

On a busy Saturday, it's nothing but dealing with difficult guests. My management is quite kind and after speaking with them about my social anxiety and depression, they have helped accommodate me for less human interaction (such as opening boxes backstage, etc) but give me gentle coaching and advice on how to deal with guests.

But if me, an introvert, who can turn into an extrovert and belt it out and be magical, you can do it too! Good luck, rising Cast Members!

6. "Magical but challenging"

Current Employee - Cast Member Disney Store in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Cast Member Disney Store in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Disney Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. Always keeps the magic flowing no matter what age you are.

Cons

Sometime things are out of your control. One thing you have to realize is that you are the face of the company.

There isn't much con.

Advice to Management

Management should know how to separate personal life & professional life.

7. "The complete opposite of a Disney experience"

Former Employee - Cast Member - Part Time in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Cast Member - Part Time in Modesto, CA

I worked at Disney Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount, coupons, talking with customers about all things Disney and making those great personal connections. Getting to see all the new merchandise, and the adorable Disney name tags!

Cons

Management needs to be changed, they don't inspire, or create a culture of positivity. Very un Disney like personalities running this particular store. Not compassionate, or inclusive to newer team members.

Advice to Management

Clean house, hire managers who look to inspire their team. A good manager will look to listen, instead of being heard.

"Disney outlet"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock in Ontario, CA

I worked at Disney Store part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awsome discount, fun product, Disney magic....and free tickets

Cons

Small staff, hard to get weekends off. You wear a lot of hats in the store. You can be a cashier 1 day and be processing shipment the next night.

Advice to Management

Give recognition to your Good employees, because if they feel unappreciated they will leave.

9. "Magical, but not for everyone."

Current Employee - Cast Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Cast Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Disney Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have to be prepared to make the retail experience magical for guests; you will sing, you will tell stories, you will play with kids. Depending on your personality type, this is either an amazing benefit or will drive you crazy.
    The stores have a sense of family and unity which are not normally seen in retail.
    Management is generally very considerate, and interested in your work-life balance.

Cons

Cast members (sales associates) have EXTREMELY few hours per week (typically 8-12, closer to 20 during rush times like Christmas).

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on giving cast members a magical experience as well as guests--when we're happy (within reason), it's easier for us to make everyone else happy, too.

10. "Horrible management at Tukwila Disney Store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Disney Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fairly friendly, fun merchandise, flexible part time hours.

Cons

When I first started everyone was friendly and outgoing but I quickly learned that the management at the Tukwila store do as little as possible and are dishonest. It takes them forever to get anything done, if it gets done. There is a double standard between managers and staff and with the treatment of staff. The staff are expected to communicate with them but they refuse to communicate with staff and constantly give them the run around. They spend most of their time gossiping about the staff when they should be working on treating everyone fairly and communicating with them. Some staff are held to unrealistically high standards while their personal favorites are very immature and don't get anything done but are at least entertaining, which matters more to them than exceptional guest service and hard work. Management takes no responsibility for their actions or the management of the store, they always blame the staff. So glad I'm able to leave and go to school full time.

11. "It was an ok experience for the time. Some unhappy down moments."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Disney Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to gain tickets to the park after working there for awhile.
    Opportunity to work with, and be a part of a child's day.

Cons

Only received two tickets per every six months or so, unless you opt for dependent Or something.
    Like any other retail job, customers can be hard to handle at times.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees like you do your friends.