Disney Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Disney Studios Chairman & CEO Robert A. Iger
Robert A. Iger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Approvals, Sense of Empowerment, Office Politics" (in 8 reviews)

• "A political environment, poor on work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great corporate identity. Great people. Worldwide reputation. Some of the smartest people in the world work for Disney. People here are genuinely nice and kind. This isn't an act: it is the people Disney hires.

Cons

We don't move very quickly. We react rather than act. We have all the problems of giant organizations. We have chosen to grow through acquisition rather than internal business building. It is unfortunate that a company once known for innovation is following others so much.

Advice to Management

Even the lowest paid employee in Anaheim or Orlando is a true Cast Member, so we should be treating them as fairly as our division heads. We should not have homeless Cast Members. It is an embarrassment. Disney is better than that.

2. "Overall Positive Interview Experience"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Disney discounts, Disney Parks pass, opportunity for growth, no formal dress code (would say “smart casual” to “business casual”)

Cons

Blockout dates on park entrance, has problems of any large company

Advice to Management

Ease up on the pressure for start dates to be so urgent. Candidates are patient with the long hiring process, but would like for the same patience regarding their start date.

Prepare the new hires with more information about their new work place. I felt like I had to keep bugging about everything from parking to my hours to lunch to start time.

Also, my credentials for company sites including time sheet were invalid when I first got there and no one know how to resolve it.

""But you work at Disney...""

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Amazing content. Some really great leadership.

Cons

There is NO upward mobility. The only way to get promoted is threaten to quit. If you are a Director or above, you have some really cush perks but over the years they have just rolled back the perks more and more. Not great health insurance, less park time, NO pensions, no car allowance, no bonuses under Director level.

You are told to be happy because you work at Disney but I didnt come to LA to work at Disney, I cam to LA to work in entertainment. Disney Studios is doing great but all other lines of business are suffering so we have to make up for it.

NO ONE gets fired so people just skate by doing the bare minimum. But they just sit there for years so they get promoted because they are willing to stick it out.

If you have a shred of ambition, DON'T WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Actually foster young/entry level talent. Give the top smaller bonuses and share the wealth.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. ACKNOWLEDGMENT. Give people their due.

And fire the dead weight.

4. "Great Compensation, job not so much"

I worked at Disney Studios full-time

Pros

Disney treats its employees well, including comps and benefits

Cons

Job extremely silo-ed and not many options for lateral mobility

Advice to Management

Employees have much more to offer.

"Amazing Brand - Horrible Culture"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Disney Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to "work" on some of the best film IP there is. Marvel, Lucas, Disney Animaion - all top notch.

The commissary on the lot is ok - but, it's cheap. There is a Starbucks on the lot as well.

Disney offers ok benefits. I have had WAY better medical options at smaller companies before. 401(k) w/ company matching. Lower level employees don't get stock or wellness perks.

You get the occasional screening and swag - but, anyone over 30 shouldn't be excited over a Mickey plush toy. So like, there's that.

Cons

Where to start? Room for growth is literally non-existant. They foster a culture of "move out to move up". Meaning.. if you want a promotion.. you'll have to leave the company to "gain experience" and then come back in a different capacity.

As for the free park pass - they block out virtually every weekend due to revenue guests complaining about park crowds. So, if you want to actually enjoy the park - you'd have to call in sick on a random Tuesday. Yet, your Silver Pass is included in your "total rewards package" so, technically, you still pay for it.

Complacency is also a huge issue. It should really be studied. People are willing to go years without a promotion, being reconginsed, no raises (just 3% for cost of living) all to say they work for Disney. TBH, I don't get it. HR knows they have the power of the brand on their side and that they have someone else waiting in the wings. They constantly hire from outside the company as opposed to looking within.

Compensation is rigged. Much like the US economy - everything goes to the top. Executives get 6 figure bonuses at the end of the year, while lower level employees are often told by their leaders they had to "fight" to get them a 3% increase. We got told to cut back on ordering office supplies a few days after we received an email notifiying us that another film crossed the 1B box office line. Comical, much?

They rolled out a "flex" working policy. But, you literally get shamed like Cersei Lannister if you even think about using it.

Advice to Management

Foster, mentor and grow your employees. They are there for a reason. Stop telling people they're lucky to be there. I'd feel more lucky if I worked for a company where you actually got some decent perks w/ career advancement opportunities.

6. "Manager in Studio Technology"

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time

Pros

Exciting place to work especially if you work on the lot.

Cons

Not as competitive with tech companies in terms of salary. No stocks offered at Manager level

"Aaaa"

Current Employee - Manager - Network Engineering in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Manager - Network Engineering in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, great environment to bring new ideas and transform them into new products to drive the industry. Great opportunity to work with the best in the industry.

Cons

lots of pressure specially around movie deliverables; not everyone works well with the pressure coming from the productions. People that are not familiar with the production environment struggle with reality

"Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time

Pros

Without doubt the greatest part of working here are the films. They are the best and most relevant in the industry. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Live Action, Disney Animation...each of these are the gold standard of movies worth going to the theaters for.

It is always exciting to be a part of these campaigns and there are plenty of talented people on the team. It can be thrilling and inspiring seeing your work come to life and feeling like you're a part of a movie's success.

Cons

Politics and workload. There is not much community beyond your own individual team and everyone is constantly trying to prove their worth. This means that collaborating on projects is difficult because everyone wants to claim the glory for themselves. Sometimes this can even result on your own team as you see others take credit for your work. This is not a place that allows people from all levels to have a spotlight shine on them.

There is a very high (and sometimes seemingly impossible) expectation. Upper-level executives have high demands and expect to see their wishes and visions executed. Standing up as a voice of reason is oftentimes looked down on as being subversive or lazy, even if it's not either of those things. Due to the high volume of work, don't be surprised to see yourself working late, getting in early, working from home, or working weekends with some amount of regularity. To be fair, there is a somewhat new initiative to find an appropriate work-life balance, but in over a decade of working for the company, the bottom line is and will always be the work and employee satisfaction will take a back seat to that.

Promotions and raises are also extremely hard to come by - if you're someone hoping to be rewarded based off your good work alone, that is far from guaranteed. This is not a meritocracy.

9. "A (mostly) great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Disney Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, learning opportunities, work-life balance

Cons

Upward mobility can be tough, corporate culture, some antiquated policies

Advice to Management

If you truly value career growth at Disney, focus more on cultivating talent rather than pursuing external hires

10. "Sr UX"

I worked at Disney Studios full-time

Pros

Awesome team, environment, & team culture.

Cons

more corporate than most creative spaces.