Disqus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Daniel Ha

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Closest thing to feeling like I work out of my living room"

I worked at Disqus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing, happy people with an average of 3+ years at the company
    - Too much delicious food
    - Great product and well known across tech
    - Comfortable, bright office with windows everywhere
    - Unlimited PTO means unlimited PTO, with most people taking 3-4 weeks off minimum

Cons

- Sometimes being too comfortable results in a lack of motivation
    - A few of the elder folks need a fire lit under their butts
    - Unlimited PTO can lead to too many days out of the office when trying to get things done

Advice to Management

The newer regime has been a great boost to the company production and morale. Don't let folks who are standing in the way, or talking louder than everyone else, control the people trying to get s--t done.

2. "....."

I worked at Disqus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Very talented team

Cons

Management lacks of sense of direction as to what is the next step for the company - affecting employees' performance

Advice to Management

Sell it already!

3. "Great company, but an even better team"

I have been working at Disqus full-time

Pros

The culture and the rate at which you grow (personally and professionally)

Cons

In an industry that changes rapidly, we sometimes find ourselves playing catch-up.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest with the team.

4. "Great coworkers, not many A players, accountability lacking"

I worked at Disqus full-time

Pros

Great culture and comfortable working conditions.

Cons

CEO continues to make poor strategic choices.

"Great team, strong mission, fun and challenging enviornment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Since day one, I've been able to hit the group running and push a lot of great work out. It's a great learning environment and I have numerous colleagues that support my growth, whether I'm interested in learning about their work or pursuing more skills in my area of study. Everyone is happy to take time out of their schedule to explain something or work though a problem together.

Disqus is small company with a huge footprint on the internet. You get lots of responsibility and challenges day-to-day.

The culture of the company is fantastic, people really are friends not just co-workers.

Cons

Disqus is still a small company so we don't have nearly as many resources as say a Facebook or Google so you have to be willing to take on extra work or pass on some projects.

We're still ironing out our product development processes so it's not always 100% clear what's coming up next.

"A lot to love about this place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There is a huge focus on culture - and a fantastically unique group of highly intelligent people have been tactfully brought together to drive to success this colorful company. The role is hugely entrepreneurial in nature, with very little red tape and discouragement in anyones ideas. If you want a place where you can see the impact of your work, and relax for a game of in office ping pong and mini golf afterwords, chances are.. you will like it here.

Cons

There is a lot of food here.. if you like your waistline, try not to eat it all.
    Also a couple of processes definitely need to be smoothed out - but where isn't that the case for a growing company?

Advice to Management

Let's keep growing this unique family of ours.

7. "Small Startup Feel, Big Company Projects"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Disqus is definitely the most enjoyable work environment I've ever had the pleasure of being in. My peers are intelligent and respectful. The exec team has a clear vision. Everyone is encouraged to advance their knowledge, interests, and careers.

When I'm asked what the best thing about working at Disqus is, my answer is always the same. Disqus reaches millions of people every day, and normally for your work to be seen by such a wide audience, you would need to work at a giant company - one where your individual contributions are a very small piece of the whole pie. At Disqus, you get to reach that huge audience, and see your work on websites you visit every day, but at the same time you're not losing the feel of a startup, both socially and in terms of business agility.

The benefits are great. Catered lunch every day, massage, yoga, bike passes, snacks, cold brew coffee on tap, group outings, company outings, unlimited vacation time, medical/dental/vision, bonus, 401k, conference comps....i could literally go on and on.

Cons

Lots of amicable departures in the last year have brought in new hires with fresh ideas, but also the need to make sure that legacy knowledge of Disqus' systems isn't lost.

Advice to Management

Disqus' current projects have reached a point of relative stability - the comment system will always have new features being worked on but now is the time to think about new products which could harness the power of Disqus' wide network and prevent developer burnout.

8. "A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Disqus genuinely cares about their people. Ever felt like you couldn't be yourself at work? Me too! That is definitely NOT the case at Disqus!

- Great communication top to bottom. No barriers. Everyone from entry level to CEO is approachable and willing to collaborate.

- The best working relationship between technical and non-technical teams I've seen at any company.

- Good mix of enough process to keep things in order and enough freedom to get things done

- Very intelligent group of people who are always willing to help. Feels more like a group of friends then a bunch of co-workers.

- Awesome office space: Customize your work space, comfy couches, ping pong, foosball, board and video games, and delicious catered lunch + snacks every day!

Cons

- No company paid commuter benefits (pre-tax dollars, yes)

- If you're an "in early, out early" type of person, it can be hard to collaborate with the team since most folks come in late and stay late.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first and the team will keep performing.

9. "Great culture and product. Very litle BS :)"

Pros

* great bunch of people from diverse backgrounds
    * everyone works on fostering a fun and welcoming culture
    * really good place to learn and grow your skills/ talents. It's a pleasure to be surrounded by smart folks who care about their work
    * all the best benefits you'd expect, good food, plenty of ways to restore mind and body, fierce ping pong and smash bros competition.
    * CTO Jason and CEO Daniel are both easy to work with and have a knack for helping the team succeed.
    * great product thats imbued with all the quirkiness of our team and the Internet in general, fun to build and operate.
    * I've been here 3 years and haven't found a better place or a better group of people
    * great location for SF or east-bay dwellers

Cons

* we're currently pretty lean and resourceful but could use some more people-power

Advice to Management

* keep up the growth, looking forward to 2017
    * continue keeping meta-meetings to a mininmum so people can focus on work. The energy that comes from our hack days is amazing

"Absolutely amazing"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* Everyone is insanely intelligent and a joy to work with.
    * Great can-do attitude, which bodes well with my own.
    * Everyone here has great work ethic, which I need others to have as well.
    * Great leadership that doesn't micromanage at all and lets you innovate.
    * The other co-founder, Jason, is a truly great individual. Daniel is great too, don't get me wrong!
    * Lots of facets in the company, allowing freedom of expression and a plethora of interesting channels to head down.
    * Love it here.

Cons

* I probably work too much because I love what I do here, but this is by choice not necessity, and certainly isn't the first time for me ;)
    * Options are a little different than you're used to, but the gains from working here far outweigh this, and it's with good reason.

Advice to Management

Continue to rock it and hire great talent and we'll all do just fine!