Disqus Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel Ha

1. Featured Review

"Great team, strong mission, fun and challenging enviornment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Since day one, I've been able to hit the group running and push a lot of great work out. It's a great learning environment and I have numerous colleagues that support my growth, whether I'm interested in learning about their work or pursuing more skills in my area of study. Everyone is happy to take time out of their schedule to explain something or work though a problem together.

Disqus is small company with a huge footprint on the internet. You get lots of responsibility and challenges day-to-day.

The culture of the company is fantastic, people really are friends not just co-workers.

Cons

Disqus is still a small company so we don't have nearly as many resources as say a Facebook or Google so you have to be willing to take on extra work or pass on some projects.

We're still ironing out our product development processes so it's not always 100% clear what's coming up next.

"A lot to love about this place."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There is a huge focus on culture - and a fantastically unique group of highly intelligent people have been tactfully brought together to drive to success this colorful company. The role is hugely entrepreneurial in nature, with very little red tape and discouragement in anyones ideas. If you want a place where you can see the impact of your work, and relax for a game of in office ping pong and mini golf afterwords, chances are.. you will like it here.

Cons

There is a lot of food here.. if you like your waistline, try not to eat it all.
    Also a couple of processes definitely need to be smoothed out - but where isn't that the case for a growing company?

Advice to Management

Let's keep growing this unique family of ours.

3. "Small Startup Feel, Big Company Projects"

Current Employee - UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Disqus is definitely the most enjoyable work environment I've ever had the pleasure of being in. My peers are intelligent and respectful. The exec team has a clear vision. Everyone is encouraged to advance their knowledge, interests, and careers.

When I'm asked what the best thing about working at Disqus is, my answer is always the same. Disqus reaches millions of people every day, and normally for your work to be seen by such a wide audience, you would need to work at a giant company - one where your individual contributions are a very small piece of the whole pie. At Disqus, you get to reach that huge audience, and see your work on websites you visit every day, but at the same time you're not losing the feel of a startup, both socially and in terms of business agility.

The benefits are great. Catered lunch every day, massage, yoga, bike passes, snacks, cold brew coffee on tap, group outings, company outings, unlimited vacation time, medical/dental/vision, bonus, 401k, conference comps....i could literally go on and on.

Cons

Lots of amicable departures in the last year have brought in new hires with fresh ideas, but also the need to make sure that legacy knowledge of Disqus' systems isn't lost.

Advice to Management

Disqus' current projects have reached a point of relative stability - the comment system will always have new features being worked on but now is the time to think about new products which could harness the power of Disqus' wide network and prevent developer burnout.

4. "A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Disqus genuinely cares about their people. Ever felt like you couldn't be yourself at work? Me too! That is definitely NOT the case at Disqus!

- Great communication top to bottom. No barriers. Everyone from entry level to CEO is approachable and willing to collaborate.

- The best working relationship between technical and non-technical teams I've seen at any company.

- Good mix of enough process to keep things in order and enough freedom to get things done

- Very intelligent group of people who are always willing to help. Feels more like a group of friends then a bunch of co-workers.

- Awesome office space: Customize your work space, comfy couches, ping pong, foosball, board and video games, and delicious catered lunch + snacks every day!

Cons

- No company paid commuter benefits (pre-tax dollars, yes)

- If you're an "in early, out early" type of person, it can be hard to collaborate with the team since most folks come in late and stay late.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people first and the team will keep performing.

"Absolutely amazing"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

* Everyone is insanely intelligent and a joy to work with.
    * Great can-do attitude, which bodes well with my own.
    * Everyone here has great work ethic, which I need others to have as well.
    * Great leadership that doesn't micromanage at all and lets you innovate.
    * The other co-founder, Jason, is a truly great individual. Daniel is great too, don't get me wrong!
    * Lots of facets in the company, allowing freedom of expression and a plethora of interesting channels to head down.
    * Love it here.

Cons

* I probably work too much because I love what I do here, but this is by choice not necessity, and certainly isn't the first time for me ;)
    * Options are a little different than you're used to, but the gains from working here far outweigh this, and it's with good reason.

Advice to Management

Continue to rock it and hire great talent and we'll all do just fine!

6. "Marketplace Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Disqus (Less than a year)

Pros

- Small company so your work is highly visible and impactful. Hard work is recognized and rewarded.

- I feel that everyone's opinion matters and people feel invested in the company and it's success.

- Fantastic culture. I feel like Disqus genuinely believes in and encourages their values.

- Great perks like a flexible vacation policy and catered lunch daily.

Cons

- As is typical with working for a smaller company, you have to be able to ok with hustling and making changes once work has already begun on a project.

- This may be a pro to some but the flexible work hours mean that some people get in drastically different times so working together sometimes requires a bit more planning.

"Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Disqus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong technical team with very challenging problems to work on. There is a good company culture in place and comfortable work / life balance.

Cons

I did not always agree with the product direction and wish I had more opportunity to pursue my own projects.

"Awesome Start Up"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Disqus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mid-size team (~60) and growing, awesome work culture, company takes care of their employees, flexible time off and WFH policy

Cons

Team is split between NYC and SF so sometimes it's hard to be separated from one another but upper management is great about facilitating the best working relationship possible and is aware of the difficulty this distance can bring.

"An enabling environment that will do well for individuals with passion and drive."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Disqus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is fast paced and interesting. You work on hard problems at massive scale. When you ship code a billion people will see it that week.

Most employees have a good work-life balance. This includes a lot of socializing with coworkers in the form of game nights, concerts, and trips to Tahoe.

Cons

Disqus is still a startup, so if you aren't scrappy and self motivated you won't succeed here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Disqus becomes is a better place to work every month.

"Getting a bit long in the tooth to have so many very early (not for grownups) startup characteristics."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone is talented (read: smart) and energetic, including the non-technical team members. As with most startups this size, there are virtually no politics. There are even virtually no technical "religions" espoused by the founders, being mostly a meritocracy.

Cons

Perhaps not entirely inappropriately, it's amateur hour. For someone with experience, it can be frustrating to see basic mistakes being made, like premature optimization concurrent with delaying investment in infrastructure until there's a "fire drill" every week. The facilities, lacking hot water, air conditioning, or ADA compliance, as well as administration and benefits, reflect a similar leanness of competence. The technical work is boring for all but the most junior engineers, as evidenced by a high turnover rate of the early non-founder technical employees.

Advice to Management

Delegate the less important decisions and duties. Don't take VCs' technical advice, but, rather, use their connections to other companies with experience to get that input. Focus. Communicate the big events, like financing to employees.