Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing opportunity for us to increase our work/life balance" (in 40 reviews)

• "Great benefits, great people, lots of runway ahead" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not really a con with public accounting, but work life balance could have been better" (in 14 reviews)

• "Busy season is more like from October - May rather than Jan - April" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Innovative and very people-focused company!"

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DHG does a great job of creatively rewarding employees. There are endless programs and new offerings for employees to further their careers, enjoy better benefits and stay connected, despite being a large company.

Cons

Being a larger company, it can sometimes be tough to feel plugged in to the happenings around the firm. Decisions are often laden with endless approvals, but this is improving.

Advice to Management

Continue to understand your employee base as it evolves and grows and work on trying to stay nimble as a mid to large size company.

2. "New Employee Offerings are super cool!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DHG recently announced enhancements to what is being called the "Employee Experience". Unlimited Time Off people! Amazing opportunity for us to increase our work/life balance. 401k is finally competitive. Better parental leave across the board. Seems the firm is really listening and being progressive in what is being offered to us.

Cons

Flexibility and employee programs are definitely the best in the industry overall, but technology needs help.

Advice to Management

Fix technology issues. Basic items seem to break way more at DHG than at firms my friends work at.

3. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The recruiting process I had coming into the firm years ago was superb! It took 2 weeks from applying to receiving an offer.

Introverted firm filled with (mostly) really nice people – who seem to genuinely care about helping their clients succeed. When you ask people how they’re doing, a typical reply is “Good. And I hope you are too.”

The firm’s leadership comes across as forward thinking and pretty transparent.

They came up with an INSPIRING mission statement: We exist to build valuable careers with our people, and to help our clients achieve their goals. I’ve never seen an organization put people first like that.

There’s a TON of high quality training to help people improve their skills. For example, immediately upon being promoted to manager or senior manager, people are expected to enroll in management training.

I love evidence-based strategies, and I respect DHG’s approach for the long-term sustainability of the firm. Lots of data was reviewed and a few years ago DHG recognized that it’s current HR practices were not appealing to Millennials and Gen Z’s. So DHG completely overhauled its practices and now there’s flex dress (e.g. we can wear jeans), unlimited vacation (with guidelines), mediation rooms (in some offices) and all the snacks you could ever want. And most of the firm is transparent about wages – which means they’re not hiding anything. It’s evolving into a really nice culture you can feel proud of.

An Innovation group has recently formed, and is starting to do interesting things.

Cons

It’s a medium-sized firm (e.g. 2400). There’s not a lot of career mobility if you’re not a client-facing professional.

The lack of diversity in the firm overall. There are pockets of diversity: e.g. the New York office – because..well, it’s new york. The Health Care practice. Many areas in HR. But in the Tax & Assurance areas, it’s still VERY vanilla.

The technology situation is abysmal. Every day we receive a notice about a different software being out.

As an extrovert, I sometimes feel out of place. People are so “heads down” and task oriented - that it can be hard to get conversations going or feel connected.

Advice to Management

I believe the only way to improve diversity is for Hiring Managers to demand that the Talent Acquisition team ensure that candidate slates are filled with at least 50% diverse candidates.

4. "Excellent Culture - High Performing Organization"

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Strong coworkers, engaged executives, commitment to public service and work life balance.

Cons

Can sometimes be difficult to arrange meetings (everyone is busy!).

5. "Senior Audit Associate"

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Great team environment to work.

Cons

Not really a con with public accounting, but work life balance could have been better.

6. "Very reasonable - Changing Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, lots of runway ahead

Cons

Some teams are better than others. Some leaders can play the bully role too well and employee growth is driven by the employee, not by the leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on Advisory. Listen to the people at all levels.

7. "DHG Company Review"

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

The people at DHG are exceptional! Your team becomes your family, as you spend all of your time with them.

Cons

The work-life isn't always great. Public accounting firms expect a lot during the busy season, which most people knew going into the job. However, depending on the industry you work in, the rest of the year can be just as busy.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

great benefits and great vacation time

Cons

need higher salary for starters

9. "Accountability Needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

DHG does have great benefits!

Cons

The Recruiting Team needs lots of improvement - from process to leadership. Growing too fast! There is lots of favoritism and prejudice and upper management isn't listening. Hiring mangers do whatever they want - they doesn't show up to interviews or cancel at last minute.

Advice to Management

The HR and RAS Leadership Team needs to be more involved and hold managers accountable.

10. "Low pay good benefits, good experience, could be better. High turnover."

Former Employee - Valuation Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Valuation Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, 4 weeks PTO, work directly with partners/managers, nice people, monthly massages.

Cons

Few resources and support, pay below market, less organized, high turnover that leads to reteaching over and over.

Advice to Management

Incentivize people to stay.