Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dixon Hughes Goodman CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

Pros
  • Easy-going environment, work-life balance; flexibility (in 29 reviews)

• The people are great and the client base is good (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • But I believe DHG does a good job in keeping your work-life balance in check (in 12 reviews)

• Thrown into busy season a little fast without a lot of training (in 19 reviews)

1. "Not Employee Friendly"

Former Employee - AML Investigator in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - AML Investigator in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Good Salary, quick placement, latest software.

Cons

Disorganized, Lack of communication between main office an work location, Lack of support from upper management

"Risk Advisory"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

More reputable than Insight Global or other staffing firms
    The Firm pays well to get you in, but raises and bonuses are microscopic.
    Matt Snow is great

Cons

Limited growth potential. Key talent has recently departed the firm due to lack of response from senior leadership.
    Viewed by clients as a staffing firm and not a consulting firm.
    Terrible communication
    Attendance is taken daily when unassigned
    Expected to use personal network for the Firm's gain

Advice to Management

When employees are treated poorly, the client gets treated poorly. It is only a matter of time. Stop treating employees like dogs.

"Incompetency and dishonesty of senior management team in DC region (not the entire firm)"

Former Employee - Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many good people to work with. Unfortunately these good and competent employees with high productivity are seldom recognized. Great place for those 'chosen' by the senior management, who are generally also incompetent.

Cons

Employees are not evaluated based on perfomance. all decision (ex-promotion) is based on whom the senior management like.

Advice to Management

Need to step up for the firm's future by making 'Right' decision to earn the trust by employees

"Horrible Company, I would not work for them again, ever."

Former Intern - Hardware Service Technician Intern in High Point, NC
    Former Intern - Hardware Service Technician Intern in High Point, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Decent Pay
    - Good parking space (Sorry, had to add five words for pros, I didn't want to though)

Cons

- Rude employees
    - Horrible management
    - Also, I was told that this was an open-end internship, by two people (supervisor and recruiter), but then just today, told that this was seasonal. Ether they are liars, or that don't know how to get the information right which makes me wonder about this so-called "great" company. "People" my butt.

Advice to Management

Get your hiring details straight before you hire someone onboard. Do NOT tell someone that they would stay there for a long time and then suddenly turn around and lay them off for no stupid reason! I am infuriated with this company and it's lousy policies.

"Broken Promises and Distorted Visions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have; a good vision for the company, a lot of internal gatherings to promote office interaction, good benefits, a variety of divisions and specialty teams, creative and structured marketing, good community relations, strong IT staff, smart and friendly administrative staff, donuts and bagels every Thursday, private parking garage.

Cons

They have a good vision but it is poorly pierced together. Every promise they made about personal growth, valuing your opinion, working with you to succeed... was a bunch of lies. There is NO overtime... or incentive to work long extended hours. Overtime was highly discouraged yet required for most positions. There is no standardization on the way things are completed and final. Various "templates" are given to complete the same project with major differences. Their internal system "The Sphere" is not maintained with up to date records and forms needed to complete carious assignments. The final product is often cheap or dumbed down compared to other firms in the area. There is very little coverage and cross training for certain positions; causing a bit of a problem when that person is absent. The gatherings were quite amusing; people would separate into groups and were not very interactive with coworkers from another area. Quite a few of the workers have a poor/selfish attitude. Regardless of what skill level you may have had in a field, they placed you where ever they saw fit or needed to put a body. Though your opinion may have been voiced, or heard, it was readily disregarded and ignored. A lot of mistakes were overlooked pending who you were, hundreds of thousands in unbilled time, failure to communicate, client complaints, etc. "Fake it till you make it" fits this firm well. It is full of people who are settling for what they are given, or just trying to make the best of their time there. The firm did undergo many changes with the merge, and other companies they acquired, nothing went according to plan. They began firing people within short periods of placing them in certain positions, singling out some of the employees to rid themselves of. Not all employees were let go of because they were bad employees... they just did not fit the conformist, mechanical droning of DHG. The location is also a pro and a con. Located Directly off rt 7 near Tysons Corner, traffic is absolutely horrendous. Those that needed to commute spent well over 30 minutes just trying to travel 2 miles to the highway. With all the new construction and volume of the area, it is not ideal for those that have road rage or mind sitting in traffic for long period of time.

Advice to Management

I genuinely hope that things have changed since my departure. Sadly, I have kept in contact with various employees and have not heard much difference. The firm needs to look into the talent they have, and how to invest in the people that will help their company grow. Their should be standardization in each process that the firm practices, as well as the projects and work they put out. Little room for deviation is needed to create company templates and have the firm funcationing as a whole instead of various sections with different outputs under the same company name. Update quality control techniques and care about what productt the company is putting out to their clients. Cross train where applicable to create a better understanding and coverage when needed. Stop segregating people or groups and learn to work as a team. I would say relocate... but that is not realistic.

"Times have Changed - Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people; my team members where great and I learned a lot from them

Cons

1. Charge hours/ metrics over emphasized really getting that big 4 feel.
    2. No work life balance. If you take off a week for vacation, you have to make up that time to meet your charge hour goal so really it's not time off.
    3. Let's talk about charge hours - besides chargeable Work we do there are also required CPEs, trainings and meetings we are all required to attend but those hours and time don't count to the goal so we have to make up that time as well
    4. Pooled staffing. If you start at an entry level position you will be considered pulled staff. Which means you won't be on a team and your "boss" is a everyone. So you will get a taste of everything but it also means you work every single deadline that there is in non profit tax and for profit tax. At least that was the case for me and others. Remember they are super concerned about charge hours.
    5. Very passive aggressive communication when it comes to relaying information.
    6. There was a firm wide lay off in November so things are happening that aren't being discussed with staff.
    7. I don't blame my team members, all these changes have taken place since the change in CEO. It's a trickle effect from the top.
    8. DHG Lean, which is a plan they put into place to save money basically, the new compensation study to be more open about compensation. Now, my only issue with the study was that it is based off of cost of labor not cost of living. So based on their metrics a tax associate in High Point NC would make the same as a tax associate in Charleston SC. Very different when it comes to cost of living. This was also part of DHG Lean in my opinion and it was to cut compensation down and cut out outliers. Even if it is reasonable to be an outlier.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. We aren't happy. And the mass amounts of people that are leaving right now should show you that. I've had a relationship with the firm for 4 years counting internships and full time staff. I've seen the changes happen and seen managers being pushed out. Along with all of the other cons listed that are also happening.

"At least the training is alright"

Pros

Training programs and CPE, and PTO if they let you use it.

Cons

Office politics, lack of management, disrespect of work life balance.

"Long hours, poor benefits. Watch your back."

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Interesting people, challenging work. the office parties can be fun if everyone participates. Free food and drinks, snacks like chips and pretzels. Our office manager was a wonderful person.

Cons

This is just my personal experience. I worked for this company for right at two years and was overall very satisfied in the beginning. However, management feeds you lies about how if you get promoted the work-life balance will be better. You will breathe, sleep, eat, and drink Dixon Hughes Goodman and you will never have any free time. "But that's public accounting everywhere" they chime. Wrong. The turnover in this firm is outrageous and their benefits for employees are sub par. Yeah, a month of PTO looks great until you can't take any. The firm has a different culture at every single office. Management is disorganized and chaotic, and the office often has the feel that there is absolutely no one in control. Management will gossip about employees consistently. I had a senior manager constantly go into the office of another senior manager and gossip about the employees or gripe about them. I heard them once when I was in a partner's office. That is extremely disrespectful to the people that are working so hard for you. This firm has an up or out mentality, and if they get a whiff that you don't meet their standards, you will be out the door and on your butt in no time. This firm is not the Big 4, or even top 10, but they sure act like it. Training is also horrendous. They are more concerned with the quantity of hours than the quality of hours for CPE. I have since left for another firm and I love where I am.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy and stop caring only about the bottom line. I actually had someone tell me "well if we can get a good 3-5 years out of most people then that's all we need." Try harder to retain good talent. Senior management, get out of your ivory tower and actually be involved with the day to day running of the company.

"Administration is treated very poorly"

Former Employee - Firm Administration
    Former Employee - Firm Administration

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Decent amount of PTO first year.

Cons

No communication at all, No training, No respect for the Administration. Management thinks you are a mind reader and their maid also. People are too lazy to clean up after themselves and treat you like a robot with no feelings.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and try to realize they are human. Listen to what they say rather than ignoring everything and still running the place like its 1980. No need for all the paper and need to learn to use the computer programs properly which would cut down on lots of time. The Florida office is a revolving door. Get a clue!

"Comes across as great initially"

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People seem nice at first which attracts you if you are a nice person
    Some managers and partners are very open to help
    Decent pay and benefits
    Great IT department

Cons

Very rigid in many areas
    They say they are open to ideas and question but when you actually offer them, you are looked down upon
    Just like any big firm they don't pay overtime so they have no incentive not to overwork you like crazy
    The firm and people in the firm act completely irrational at times
    They hate anything that may sound even remotely negative or critical

Advice to Management

Be real and let others around you be real.