Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews | Glassdoor

Dixon Hughes Goodman Reviews

Updated November 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have developed a culture that is centered around work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• The people are great and the client base is good (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • But I believe DHG does a good job in keeping your work-life balance in check (in 12 reviews)

• Can be very stressful during busy season (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great place to work if you want to work in accounting!"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, great people, relaxed environment

Cons

Its public accounting so busy season always kind of sucks but its not as bad here as some other places from what I've heard.

2. "Tax Associate (experienced staff 1+yr)"

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Flexibility, client ownership, growth opportunity

Cons

deliverable deadlines, hour push, culture change

3. "Seasonal Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for, hands down. The hours are perfect, the compensation is perfect! The only reason I left DHG is because of health reasons but they want me to reapply for next tax season and I was only there a week before having to resign. They care about their employees.

Cons

Nothing negative comes to mind.

Advice to Management

A great company starts at the top and this is clearly a great company!

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy-going environment, work-life balance; flexibility.

Cons

Not enough training;
    Not great place for technical type of person to grow.

"Not consistent since merger"

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good ongoing training and education, good opportunities to work on different projects.

Cons

Were not consistent in their message post-merger. Honesty would have been more appreciated, i.e. if there were going to be lay-offs and elimination, then people need/want to be prepared.

"Times have Changed - Tax Associate"

Former Employee - Tax Associate
    Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people; my team members where great and I learned a lot from them

Cons

1. Charge hours/ metrics over emphasized really getting that big 4 feel.
    2. No work life balance. If you take off a week for vacation, you have to make up that time to meet your charge hour goal so really it's not time off.
    3. Let's talk about charge hours - besides chargeable Work we do there are also required CPEs, trainings and meetings we are all required to attend but those hours and time don't count to the goal so we have to make up that time as well
    4. Pooled staffing. If you start at an entry level position you will be considered pulled staff. Which means you won't be on a team and your "boss" is a everyone. So you will get a taste of everything but it also means you work every single deadline that there is in non profit tax and for profit tax. At least that was the case for me and others. Remember they are super concerned about charge hours.
    5. Very passive aggressive communication when it comes to relaying information.
    6. There was a firm wide lay off in November so things are happening that aren't being discussed with staff.
    7. I don't blame my team members, all these changes have taken place since the change in CEO. It's a trickle effect from the top.
    8. DHG Lean, which is a plan they put into place to save money basically, the new compensation study to be more open about compensation. Now, my only issue with the study was that it is based off of cost of labor not cost of living. So based on their metrics a tax associate in High Point NC would make the same as a tax associate in Charleston SC. Very different when it comes to cost of living. This was also part of DHG Lean in my opinion and it was to cut compensation down and cut out outliers. Even if it is reasonable to be an outlier.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. We aren't happy. And the mass amounts of people that are leaving right now should show you that. I've had a relationship with the firm for 4 years counting internships and full time staff. I've seen the changes happen and seen managers being pushed out. Along with all of the other cons listed that are also happening.

7. "DHG Healthcare"

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing company. They are so dedicated to building their employees and offering them opportunities to grow with the company.
    - People were also extremely smart and dedicated, and everyone cared about what they are doing.
    - Upper level management is actually the best pro. So many are easy to reach out to and talk with, and genuinely care about what you are doing and how they can help you. They value your opinion and aren't afraid to push you to grow. 75% of why I so admire this company is because of their upper level management, and the encouragement of this type of involvement from such high levels is a testament to what the company cares about.

Cons

- I came into the company at a low level and struggled to kind of feel as a part of the team for a while. But I also think that might have been just me not taking enough initiative.
    - Lack diversity

Advice to Management

For new hires who are lower on the ladder, set up your onboarding better so that the integration is easier.

"Not a Consultant, Auditing Advisory"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm is very "family" oriented. Easy to make friends when you start (and senior leadership expects you to make friends at work)
    The amount of work is reasonable and you will not work more than 50-55 hours a week
    The office in uptown Charlotte is nice and you are provided with resources to succeed
    Smaller firm and you will know almost everyone who works there
    More interaction with high level partners
    DHG knows they are good at Regulatory and Compliance work and they stay in that field- there aren't a variety of other projects

Cons

The firm is very passive aggressive. Leaders avoid any confrontation or direct feedback
    This is not a consulting job, it is a high level auditor position- you will pre-auditing to ensure companies are in compliance before the "actual" auditors arrive
    Company does not like Type A personalities, as the firm is very Type B- they prefer heads down people who aren't going to overstep the clear boundaries
    The company wants you to follow a very specific formula- easy to tell the advisory practice is derived from auditors- if you deviate form formula, it will bother the leadership, even if you are successful, remember this is not a real consulting job
    They have many processes in place that need to be fixed- DHG is a relatively new firm that is learning how to get better
    Technology is lacking behind peers
    Mentorship program is very weak- focusing more on a personal level than professional guidance

Advice to Management

Don't advertise a consulting position because you will get Type A management consultants who work differently than CPAs. Make sure you are clear you want auditors who are creative, not consultants who will work in compliance. Don't be suggestive with opportunities that are very unlikely.

"Growing Company"

I have been working at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

-Most of the people are really friendly
    -They are flexible with working remotely
    -As far as accounting goes, I think the busy season isn't as bad here as it is at big four companies

Cons

-work is extremely slow in the off season, but this is expected during non-busy times
    -It feels less and less like a small company which had appealed to be when I applied. It seems they are trying to become more like a big four company

10. "Audit"

I worked at Dixon Hughes Goodman full-time

Pros

Successful and fast growing South East based CPA firm. The company retained great people to work with at all levels and opportunities for fast advancement. Maintained the small company culture, with resources and capabilities close to the big 4.

Cons

High turnover in upper management at a point in time along with the typical ups and downs in Public Accounting, issues experienced across the board by most firms in the industry. Overall great company and that cares and treats their valuable employees well.