Dixons Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I guess the best reason to work for them is because of the 10% discount (in 9 reviews)

• Busy working environment and not for the faint hearted (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Strong focused on kpi instead of customer service (in 5 reviews)

• Poor training provided and then questions asked why performances aren't met (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales assitant"

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time

Pros

good part time job to learn loads

Cons

salary is rubbish, you never get an increase. managers under pressure to meet their targets so stress the sales assistants out to sell customers products they dont need

Advice to Management

stop being selfish

2. "Working there is an example of modern day slavery!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes you get to work in great teams!

Cons

- Highly sales driven you are expected to achieve unrelistic targets whether customers walk through the doors or not!
    - A pay rise is a fantasy!
    - Its a dead end, no room for progression!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staffs feedback and advice, otherwise your staff turnover will always be crap!

3. "Awful compsny"

Pros

It's a job. They supply tea, coffee and milk.

Cons

Shocking pay rates. Unfair bonus system based on survey of customers as they leave store. Insulting pay level considering the number of targets given. Told to sell £80 tv cables customers don't need.

Advice to Management

Pay rates well out of line with other retailers. Non competitive. Get a TVs licence so staff can watch tv in the canteen !

4. "Robotic and Manipulating"

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young work force and plenty of social outings
    Easy enough to swap shifts with a colleague

Cons

Sales colleagues not appreciated
    Was told by a general manager that they were hiring a man from India because people would trust him more about technological products than another person who had similar credentials from EU.
    Manipulated into selling 'Coverplan' and discouraged from selling flat - got to the stage where company would give money off products to sell the extra coverplan which would cost the consumer nothing extra and instead arrive as another KPI ticked off and the discount handled. Makes no sense from a profitability sense
    Poor training provided and then questions asked why performances aren't met
    Fairly dead end job if you can't get past a 'Team Leader' stage as pay is poor as are bonuses. Catch then is, others outside the company with degrees and experience elsewhere can come in and go straight to higher levels meaning poor promotion from within. Know of a team leader who was stepped on at least 3 times in my time at the company and after numerous attempts to progress up the chain with hard work and effort, he had to quit and move away.

Advice to Management

Look at the bigger picture and not from behind a frosted window. Poor business techniques in selling 'Coverplan' which is not needed based on consumer rights. Distinct efforts made to scare customers into buying products with coverplan.... "If you don't buy this, than this here will happen! You don't want that now do you?" ....

"hypocrisy gone wild"

Former Employee - People Team Leader
    Former Employee - People Team Leader

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You work with some good people

Cons

Low pay. encouraged to do whatever to get the SQ also known as forcing things you don't need which is all okay as long as watchdog don't find out......Again
    Middle management will step on anyone to get ahead and the politics would make your head spin . No ownership when things go wrong and like to cover up their dirty little secrets

Advice to Management

Work with transparency your new motto we start with you is a lie . should be we start with SQ do whatever say whatever to hit it and whatever left you can have. i suppose yours was shorter. Cant wait for the next watchdog on this new rebranding

"Sales Advisor"

Pros

When you left you had no work to take with you

Cons

Forced to sell insurance at all costs with no commission, pay is minimum wage and staff have no rights and can't join a union.

7. "Company does not care much about its colleagues"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy enough job if you good at sales. A lot of new technologies - which is interesting to work with. You will make a lot of good friends. People work as a team and many colleagues will help you.

Cons

No support for you from managers - they just expect you to learn to swim quick if not will help you drown quicker. If you suddenly get treated unfairly at your work - best solution is to get out. Company will not provide you with any support, they would let things get worse rather than get involved and help colleagues. Realistic support exists only for managers. In sales often be prepared to sell hard. Company says this is not what they expect of you, while you manager will tell you otherwise.

Advice to Management

Read your own companies policies you breaking all of them - favoritism at work, often no support or respect to colleges, promoting those with pushy sales, putting numbers above real customer experience.

"Decent colleague and team leaders...... contract hours, bonus, targets all terrible"

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really to do with the company but I got on really well with all my colleagues.... Sometimes managers can be decent....
    To be honest, the training isn't too bad... the course you are sent away on is quite helpful

Cons

Quite a few cons with it....

- The contract situation is a bit of a joke - I applied for what was stated as a full time job - then was told I would have to start on 20 hour contract (despite doing 40 years every week) and then it would go up to 28 hours at the end of probation, this never happened. It wasn't too much of a problem, until after the peak period was over and it became quiet, and the management started cutting everyones hours...

- It gets pretty tedious, you get the same boring talks every day about selling "Knowhow Care plan" and other attachments, the managers always say the same painfully simple things about it, and seem to have no grasp on what its actually like to sell it.... Having to sell it was bad enough anyway considering no employees agree with it.

- The targets are quite pressured, and quite unrealistic - they expect you to hit 40 per cent on your knowhow care plan sales, and if you don't then, well you don't get hours .... however people that mis sell it and hit targets get REWARDED with hours.... hmmm

- The bonus system is absolutely terrible. First bonus I got less than I was told I would get, I didn't get anything id earned in the first 2 weeks because "you apparently have to be there for the whole period to get it" (i'd never been told that at all). The bonus team also tried to tell me I was a peak temp colleague so I wouldn't get any of it, despite my contract clearly stating I was a full time permanent. They seem to do anything to get out of giving you your bonus, which is the one thing that stops it being an awfully paid job (it still is). Now, I've left and i'm due bonus for my last 6 weeks... shock I didn't receive it, currently trying to chase it up but they haven't replied to me.

- Not Dixons fault but the hours are awful, working 11 - 8 shifts in the week, and working every weekend, means you don't really have a life outside of work if youre full time.

- They try to get away with anything, For example my contract clearly stated that if I worked over 40 hours a week, id get time and a half pay. I was asked to cover an extra shift, so I asked if i'd get time and a half seeing as it would take me up to 47, they just said "no" ALWAYS REFER TO YOUR CONTRACT!

- Also, do not agree at all with their rule of having to approach every customer countless times, it annoys them and drives them away, yet you are MADE to approach EVERYONE. Of course, it was us that got the flack off the customer for bothering them, despite us not wanting to!

Sorry for the long rant

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the stupid targets

- Stop being absolute arseholes over the bonus

- Stop trying to mug off customers with the knowhow care plan and hdmi cables just to hit targets

- Don't mug off your staff when they clearly have stuff written down on their contract

- Get rid of the ridiculous "conversion" targets, meaning staff have to continuously approach and bother customers even when they don't want it

"Extremely poor with no integrity!"

Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you really push your managers and willing to do training in tour own time, you may get an ok wage.

Cons

To start, the company are certainly not out to give the best experience to the customer, they are there to take as much money and dodge as many complaints as they can. I have worked in all store roles except for management and can tell you it is the same in each role. If you're sales, you only have one goal, sell them everything! If you don't, you will get penalised. If you do, well, you will get nothing.....no incentive to to really put that effort in to each sale. (Of course, the manager can get a nice bonus from it).if you are business orientated, the same applies. If you are knowhow, Tell everyone their machine has to go away for repair (their careplan has a lot of clauses you do not realise!).

Every company is out to make money, but should do it with dignity and integrity. Not lile a sleazy dodgy dealer from the west end.

The management will NOT deal with a tough situation, they will always refer them to knowhow OR good ol customer service! (These guys get paid to take as little responsibility as possible)

Advice to Management

Take some responsibility, show more respect for the colleagues who are earning your bonuses and doing the dirty work and do what's right for the customer!
    A dixons quote is 'to never leave the customer to fend for themselves'....it would be nice to see that

"Enter at your own risk"

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To be honest, there are none. It is a shadow of the place it once was. Glad to be out before the merger goes through.

Cons

Management structure is awful. No communication and disregard of people. Mass redundancy programme in place, and diminishing enjoyment had in working there

Advice to Management

The people still sitting there on fat pay, fat bonus and no accountability will be the Achilles Heel. Having quality staff leave due to incompetent managers will not help you