Dixons Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • I guess the best reason to work for them is because of the 10% discount (in 8 reviews)

• Busy working environment and not for the faint hearted (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave (in 6 reviews)

• KPI goals not aligned with overall company objectives or customer service statements (in 4 reviews)

1. "More bad than good"

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time

Pros

Good atmosphere working in airport, many places to have lunch, training with Bose and Monster can mean getting food freebies if lucky, staff incentives like phone discount is not the best but decent

Cons

Not enough pay, no recognition for doing x amount of years of service, just an email or certificate no actual perks, staff are forced to take on more jobs than responsibility required and not be recognised for it.

Advice to Management

Managers should undergo training once every 3 months to look after a team and support them and workforce rather than being reliant on staff to do manager responsibilities

2. "Good parts are good, bad parts are diabolical"

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time

Pros

* Made some great friends with the other colleagues
    * Meeting people

Cons

* Targets, Targets, Targets.
    * Expected to miss lunch breaks if busy
    * Unrealistic expectations.
    * Little to no recognition for going above and beyond. (see last point)
    * A lot of overtime.
    * Disproportionate pay for what is required of us as staff.
    * Little to no recognition aside from the obligatory certificates and accolades that always go to the same people who are favourites within the company.

Advice to Management

I understand the company needs to make money at the end of the day but it comes at the cost of staff and management morale (it's not 100% managements fault, all the pressure filters down through the company) due to being under a great amount of stress and not being able to enjoy their job as much as they could because the targets are unrealistic and the stress due to this is a huge drain on the job.

The morale and overall feeling of most of my colleagues and I are pretty low to the point where the subject of leaving is a regular topic of discussion.

We are paid very little for the amount we do and it's hardly worth the times I do enjoy it.

3. "ok for inbetwwen jobs"

Pros

Meet new people and great way to learn how to communicate effectively.

Cons

Poor management, expected to bend truth to customers

Dixons Retail Response

Sep 29, 2016

Hi, Thank you for your response. We're sorry to hear our management team wasn't performing well. We've acknowledged your review and we'll forward it over to our team to help improve our ... More

5. "Worthwhile experience, but wouldn't apply there again."

Former Employee - Finance in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big, established UK retail business, a leader in the industry.

Very commercial business. Some departments offer good career development opportunities.

Cons

Very hierarchical, a lot of underlying politics among senior management meaning it's impossible to get on and be respected for your contributions.

A lot of talented people in the business, many of them stifled by a lack of time & freedom to innovate and try new things.

Some departments are very stuck in their ways, if you don't conform you're made to feel like an outcast.

Merger with Carphone sparked an "us v them" culture, heightened the politics coming down from the management.

Advice to Management

Step back from the hierarchical politics, recognise how many great people you have/had working for you, who are/were stifled by the ulterior motives and in-fighting your politics encouraged.

Value everyone's contributions, regardless of what their job or work level is, or whether they agree with your agenda. It all counts.

6. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the best reason to work for them is because of the 10% discount.

Cons

Management have their favourites and if you're not then you're screwed.

Advice to Management

None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None

7. "If you love stress, you'll thrive here."

Former Employee - Sales Colleague, PC World in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague, PC World in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent discount for colleagues (10%); opportunities to progress for those good at blagging it; fairly flexible scheduling

Cons

Appalling rate of pay.
    Regularly expected to give up lunch hour, without getting paid for it.
    Poor training. Plenty of theory, no practice.
    Constant pressure to con customers in order to hit absurd targets.

Advice to Management

You wonder why everyone is leaving?! They've all had enough. Pay attention to your staff. You need them.

"Low pay, poor infrastructure, set for a fall."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent discount of 10% across the board in Currys and PC World, although higher discount available on Apple products if trained in that field. Perks also available through 3rd parties such as EE, Supermarket gift card discount, etc.

Training is organised well with companies they sell products for such as LG, Samsung, Canon, Apple, Google, etc.

Cons

Poor pay brackets considering the level of knowledge and skills expected. Top pay bracket for an "expert sales person" with specialist knowledge is lower than a till member in Aldi for example.

The network and software the company works with is ancient, and they won't put their hands in their pockets and do anything about it. Takes over 2 minutes for an anti-virus special offer to load on the till when selected. You can imagine how fun that is with queues on Black Friday.

No real career path, have known people be on the shop floor waiting over 15 years just to become a team leader, never mind assistant manager or higher.

Advice to Management

Sort out your network on shop terminals. Windows XP with two payment applications written at the same time as the OS is not excusable for the UK's top electrical store. Especially when having to leap between the two for business customers who want a sale quickly.

Sort out your pay brackets. People shouldn't be earning more scanning a bag of veg in a supermarket compared to the knowledge and harassment your staff have to deal with.

Increase incentive for career paths and goals. No one in the three branches I worked in felt motivated or wanted to progress. My last branch became a revolving door of employees in the end.

"Usual Retail Expoitation"

Pros

Fun people to work with, usually younger in age looking for a start. Relatively flexible hours if you can find someone to swap shifts with.

Cons

Exploitative "contracts" with holidays based on "contracted" hours, not hours worked. Regularly work over time. Progression based heavily on inflated sales figures, not on job performance. Lie/scam customers to inflate sales figures and purposefully mislead with "free month" of extended warranty.

Advice to Management

Watch colleagues carefully and don't rip off customers by selling misleading warranties and services that they don't need. Fight for staff pay rises based on job performance and reward support staff (warehouse, repair etc.) appropriately. Sales related bonuses don't work for people who aren't employed to sell!

10. "Leaving After A Year"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, some OK benifits such as EE discount etc., most people know what they are talking about (in my store anyway).

Cons

Managers put you on a low hour contract then have you working loads of hours which you cant do!

Pay is supposed to inscrese from minimum wage to more with training but the issue is you can never get on training to get a very small pay inscrese. No comission either, you are selling loads of extras and hitting targets every month and yet you get nothing extra to show for it.

Internal benifits system is used to congratulate colleagues who have started to perform better when they were under performing but doesnt give anything to colleagues who constantly hit or exceed their targets.

Constant battles with people to get them to take things they dont always need just because the company says that a certain number of them should need it.

Whole internal systems need a rehaul, everything is seperate and mashed togeather. Buisness sales are stupidly complicated to learn with an old outated system, the hardware for the tills isnt much better. More customers could be served a lot faster if the tills were updated.

People think your on comission and thus think you want to sell them everything for your own good!

Customer service is NOT at the front of their buisness. Once a customer has given the money over the after sales service can be shocking. Managers care more about people who are into to buy again rather than people who bought yesterday meaning that the customer than gets annoyed with you when you have asked your manager to allow you to help them.

Very stressful job even though it is only selling items to customers who want to buy them.

Customers always ask for disocunt, thinking that they are in an old dogy electrical retailer who has inflated prices when you cant discount things for them, some people act as if you wont try to give them the lowest price possible, which you will as we dont get anything from it!

Advice to Management

Pay more to colleagues who are hitting their targets and making you money!

Become more customer focused instead of KPI focused!

Hire more staff in bigger stores so that they are not understaffed and then end up with annoyed customers due to the wait.

Value your staff more.

"Curry's Sales colleague for just over 2 years."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other sales colleagues are friendly. 10% discount on most products. Paid few pence above min wage. Rare small bonus IF customers happen to say the right words "very happy" and "very good", not "great", "good" or "happy", on exit surveys.

Cons

Most colleagues talk about trying to leave from 3 months in, if not less.

PROFITS AND TARGETS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    - The main and only care of the company seems to be PROFIT alone, despite them stating customer service is priority.
    - Constantly being threatened and given stress over not meeting sales targets.
    - Forced into hard selling, upsetting customers, just to try to reach sales target.
    - NEVER A GOOD day, always being told to work harder on targets despite already working hardest.

ALWAYS UNDERSTAFFED
    - This causes upset customers when wait time to receive even a reserved laptop reaches an hour or so.
    - puts even more stress on sales colleagues as they have to serve already agitated customers.

NO HELP TO BECOME HAPPIER WITH JOB
    - Won't change your job role to relieve the pressure you feel under even when other suitable job roles are available in store.
    - Asked to be moved from sales floor to available positions in warehouse, where I wouldn't have to constantly be told I'm failing to meet sales targets, however they still wanted to keep me on sales floor for some unknown reason - maybe because I'm actually one of the better sellers.

REFERENCE ONLY COMES FROM HR
    - Other employers are put off by lack of personal reference.
    - Can't keep to your available hours even with a few months notice. I had regular doctors appointments for months and yet I ALWAYS had shifts clashing with those appointments despite telling then verbally and in writing telling them a month + in advance I was unavailable for those shifts.
    - This means HR have me on record as regularly late and regularly skipping these shifts, and so my reference would be bad.

LOW PAY
    - There is a pay structure which means you get pay rises IF you go on training. So management try their best to stop you having any training at all.

LACK OF HELP TO IMPROVE
    - Despite asking for help to meet the targets I was being told off for not meeting, I never was given help.
    - Even though I was always being told off for bad sales, I trained new colleagues.

ALMOST NO ONE CAN STAND TO WORK LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS
    - while I have been here the only colleagues not to move are ones who have been in the company many many years and so have VERY HIGH pay, some treble what I get for the same job.
    The others who stay 1 to 3 years are students for whom this is just a few hours a week to pay for nights out. and people like me with no previous experience so the bad HR reference left me stuck for ages.

EXTREMELY SLOW OUTDATED SYSTEM
    - Offers don't load automatically, so when there are large queues its easy to forget to check if those AAAs are on BOGOF again and then have a customer comeback very unhappy because I accidentally forgot to check in the rush.
    - When checking what offers are on the tills can literally take up to 10 minutes to load the offers and then there is such a long list it is very hard to find the right offer and there is no search system, just scroll.
    - the security detaggers are often broken meaning customers embarrassed over their paid for shopping going off at the exit.
    - the tills often freeze
    - tils often break AFTER customer has entered pin meaning we have to take out the card and start again - no receipt is given to show that no money was taken the first time

BUSINESS SYSTEM SEPARATE, ALMOST MANUAL, EXTREMELY SLOW
    - takes at least 5 minutes extra to process - and that's on a small transaction and on a fast day.
    - Have to now sign customers up for it with telephone number and email.
    - Customers very understandable don't see why it takes a ridiculously long time when pretty much every other store just does it at the click of a button.
    PRODUCT CODES MANUALLY TYPED IN FOR BUSINESS

SEXIST COMMENTS
    - I am often told I have a great bottom (using worse language).
    - Photos taken of my bottom.
    - Lewd comments common

I could list more, but I feel my list is getting too long.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

Employ more staff - it will improve customer service, which will improve sales as customers will feel more inclined to buy, also staff will feel less stressed and so again sales will be more profitable.

To Head Office - GET NEW TILL SYSTEMS.
    The majority of customers comment on how slow the tills are being and how strange this is for such a large company, especially one selling PCs.
    GET AN INTEGRATED BUSINESS SYSTEM: half the business sales I put through are the last that customer wants to bother with, because it takes so long. Even just:
     adding the ability to opt out of phone and email;
     or ability to scan in products;
     or pay on the same system would help.