Do it Best Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - General Warehouse in Montgomery, NY
    Current Employee - General Warehouse in Montgomery, NY

Pros

Great pay, weekends off, good bonus checks

Cons

Stressful work environments, expectations might be too difficult to mean at times

2. "Great pay, bad decisions."

Former Employee - Shipper in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Shipper in Medina, OH

I worked at Do it Best full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good money and benefits

Cons

Terrible management. There was only one good supervisor. Favoritism.

Advice to Management

Clean house

3. "Family Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Do it Best full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT team of people, everyone is a friend, and some are like family.
    Satisfying work - you are working to help independent businesses thrive, no matter what you do there
    Fantastic Benefits

Cons

Outdated in some ways, but coming into the future, some things are frustrating and will take time to change.

4. "Warehouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sikeston, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sikeston, MO

I have been working at Do it Best full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours no weekends

Cons

No training, indecisive managers, no positive attitudes, if you work a holiday that the company took off and your on skeleton crew. You don't get holiday pay just hours worked. So people that are off get 8 hours paid you work you get paid 5!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.
    Train your management better. Make all RSC be in sync with handbook, logs, and operations.

5. "More than 10 years strong in the Marketing Department for the 3.0 billion dollar hardware co-op"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Do it Best full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great camaraderie of employees, a very historical culture of excellence, a great wealth of experience and a very stable financial employer.

Cons

Because of the conservative nature, finances are everything, including a very lackluster annual increase and/or base salary for this non-sales position. Those positions garner more pub and financial benefit/reward within the company.

6. "Decent job for those without careers"

Current Employee - Order Filler/Stocker/Receiver in Sikeston, MO
    Current Employee - Order Filler/Stocker/Receiver in Sikeston, MO

I have been working at Do it Best full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Decent hourly wage
    -Above average benefits, that translate to great benefits after years of service
    -Work independently, at your own pace (long as you meet production/quality goals)
    -Monthly events to stimulate moral
    -Flexible hours for Part Time employees
    -Monday through Friday, day shift only - very rarely weekends

If you can handle long hours and hot work, Do It Best Corp. Sikeston RSC is a high pace and rewarding environment that can provide a healthy reasonable income to provide your family, while still having you home every night. Your coworkers are passionate people who genuinely care to serve Do It Best members well.

Cons

-Some departments, inconsistent hours, long days, overtime expected
    -Reduction in quality of benefits
    -Retirement not so favorable for those hired after Jan. 2016
    -Management extremely subjective
    -Pay is same across all hourly positions (minus Leads), making some jobs much more desirable than others (easier)
    -Management very inconsistent, pushing unreal expectations while providing no process improvements
    -Inconsistent rules and policies, with terrible follow up on even minor features
    -Radical changes that are detrimental to production, moral
    -Continuous Improvement Teams created, potential completely wasted as management hardly acknowledge their existence and/or function

This particular RSC reads much the same as the others. More and more members being added, but very few actual hires to help take on the new work. Management is more concerned with squeezing out every dime and dollar, taking away even basic commodities from employees such as paper plates and cups as a "wasted expense" -- cultural teams created to improve and generate feedback in highly contested areas of the RSC (culture, safety, production) - hand picked staff for these teams are largely neglected and ignored, as tyrannical leadership value their own ideas more than the popular opinion.

This RSC used to be a cruise ship everyone looked forward to vacation on, a great place to work. Each year, it takes on more water, drowning it's great benefits and perks, as well as it's own business and quality, for the sake of lining pockets of those at the top

Advice to Management

Bring back job promotion based on seniority, no red tape. No ambiguous wording on policy, and stop crapping on the many years of service that great people have put in building this business by employing people off the street to fill positions they greatly desire. Do push an excruciating pace on employees while being extremely slow and inconsistent on our expectations of you

7. "Pillar of the community, positive culture, strong ethics."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Do it Best full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Do it Best Corp. doesn't just *seem* like my second family, they *ARE* my second family. That sort of culture which expects good solid A+ efforts also ascribes to a philosophy of "family comes before work" allowing the employees the flexibility they need to ensure that work will not stand in the way of reasonable family commitments.
    - Again... the culture - There's approx. 500 staff at the HQ facility in NE Indiana and nearly every person is on a first name basis with everyone else.
    - We have a unique business model - we are a member-owned co-op in which our members are also our largest customers. When your customers are your owners, they demand the best goods and services at the best prices and we commit to deliver on that promise so that they may grown their own business. This symbiotic relationship with the membership serves to extend our already extended "second" family even further. As we're 100% member owned, there is no pressure from owners of company shares worlds away that only card about the quarterly rise in stock value. Furthermore, we also engage with many non-profit agencies in the are and nationwide by providing volunteers and donations of items we stock (if applicable, as in a partnership like the one that we have with Habitat with Humanity where we are able to donate building supplies.

- The cafeteria is slightly subsidized and one can obtain a fresh, hot meal prepared by a professional chef for around $5 without having to leave the facility.

Cons

- I'll come right out and admit that our base salaries for new hires can sometimes be less than the market median for many positions. This can cause sticker shock, but our yearly bonus and profit sharing distributions typically approach 20% of the base.

- Building is in an industrial park, surrounded by a train switch yard, and there's a highway overpass that cuts through the parking lot.. did i mention that there's not many windows, and thus not much natural sunlight in the building. The facility is not modern, built over half-century ago and converted from warehouse to office space, this makes it tougher to offer modern amenties. Plus the employee board events seem to balance that out with parties and events that celebrate the hard work of the employees.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging the entire DIBC team to be doing better with less, and continue to lead by example and setting the bar higher each year for us. We will do right by our membership. We're making the best even better!

8. "Ok place to work, not a long term career for young adult"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

I worked at the corporate headquarters right out of college for almost 4 years, and it is a very welcoming place for a new hire. Most of the people there are very friendly and willing to help in any way they can. They do put on many Employee Board events and try to keep the work environment as fresh as possible. I will also say they do promote a good work-life balance for the most part.

Cons

For a new college hire, the pay scale is on the low end compared to other companies in the area. They will tell you that profit sharing and bonuses make up for this, but I did not find this to be the case. After working there for nearly 4 years and being promoted to a non-entry level role, I found that my pay was still low compared to other entry level jobs in the area. Also in most departments there are many seasoned employees, and that coupled with a very flat organization structure this makes advancing difficult. That also makes it difficult, I believe, for them to retain young employees - which there are relatively few of in the building of nearly 500 people.

As with any large organization, the wheels turn slowly and there is a lot of red tape. Several meetings in a day which accomplish very little happen often. Also because of this, it is easy for people to slip through the cracks and do very little during the day - it is easy to see these people, but I noticed little if nothing is done about it by their managers.

Advice to Management

Bring the pay structure up to the area average.
    Eliminate red tape, allow "front line" employees be able to make more decisions without having to go up the management chain for every little thing.
    Don't allow people to slack off and get away with it day after day.

9. "Distribution Center Shipping; worked summers there in college"

Former Employee - Shipping Loader in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Shipping Loader in Medina, OH

I worked at Do it Best part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay for unskilled labor
    -Promote from within
    -Good safety record
    -Treat employees fairly

Cons

-Hard, physical work; not for everyone
    -Long hours
    -Can't start as full-time; they test you out at part-time first (I still got overtime working Mon-Thurs)

10. "Learning environment, pay sucks"

Former Employee - Sales in New Concord, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in New Concord, OH

I worked at Do it Best part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot about home improvement in can fix just about anything now. Friendly staff and customers always happy to see you.

Cons

The pay sucks, but it's a entry level job so it's expected. But there isn't any way really to move up.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive to improving employees skills and advancement in the company.