Doeren Mayhew Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark A. Crawford

"Doeren Mayhew in Houston"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of ambition to become a bigger, better Firm in Houston, which could make great progress if the right people were in place. Unfortunately, nepotism and unskilled persons in top roles prevent real progress, as well as a managing partner on his way out and not concerned with how his legacy is being treated. Work / Life balance can be good here (not great) depending on the group you are assigned to. Perpetual procrastination from your bosses will kill a good busy season quickly, as with the once just ending.

Cons

Lots of talk, very little action when it comes to making positive change inside the company. Much time is wasted in repetitive meetings rehashing what needs to be accomplished to make change, just to see absolutely no action occur. Unfortunately, this branch of Doeren Mayhew is no comparison to the Troy, MI branch. Management is not cohesive and there is way too much infighting for this to be a productive place to work. There is no career advancement, and the couple of 20+ year managers in the tax division will perpetually chase off any talent that knows more than they do while treating all interns and staff like cattle (and consistently gossiping behind their backs). If you can't find a job and need public accounting experience, this could be a good stopping point to keep your resume moving forward. But if you are strictly interested in real public accounting, this firm MAY have their stuff together in the next 5 - 10 years. This is not the place to learn how to work with the bigger companies - it's stifling. If you're looking for a place to rest on your laurels for the rest of your career with no real advancement or growth - this could be your new job!

2. "Great firm who cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Michigan in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Michigan in Troy, MI

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Open Door Policy. You can go talk to anyone at anytime without question. The Shareholders of this Firm want happy, productive employees. They do listen and try to implement whatever is possible (within reason) to make the work/life balance a good thing.

Cons

We have been growing steadily year after year and I find I don't know everyone here like I use to when we were a smaller firm. However "big" and "small" can be relative terms.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees, both old and new. We may have inside info on the day to day operations that you might not be aware of.

3. "Audit Intern"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Troy, MI

I worked at Doeren Mayhew (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn real work experience as an intern. You will have a chance to go to different clients. You will also have one free meal for each new projects you are working on.

Cons

You are expected to know stuffs that you are working on. They will judge on what you ask so you have to be careful and think before asking. They will let you know if they offer you during exit interview.

Advice to Management

The training at the beginning is maybe too long to let the intern absorb all the knowledge. If possible, the company can give the list of what the intern should research before the internship start.

4. "Audit"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Doeren Mayhew (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, great training and work environment.

Cons

Smaller firm, but growing, soon this won't be a con!

5. "Great Employer with Great Opportunites"

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing firm with great opportunities. Management is very understanding and open minded.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about. I look forward to another 3 years!

6. "Wonderful Place!"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and welcoming office which was nice as it was my first internship experience in the business world. Wonderful people who are open to teach their trade.

Cons

I don't have any cons that I can think of!

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a firm to start your career and grow with, Doeren Mayhew is a great place to start. I have been with the firm for almost 2.5 years and it has been nothing but an awesome experience. I have been blessed to have a boss who is knowledgeable, experienced and someone who I work extremely well with on a day-to-day basis. Additionally, all of the partners in the Troy office, as well as the other offices are great to work with and I've gotten to know many of them very well over the time I've been here. I only see positives at this firm and it will only continue to grow and flourish!

Cons

I can't say that I have many cons. It's important to acknowledge that all jobs have it's difficult days, but I have been very happy here for the most part.

8. "Manager"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Shareholders really take an interest in growth and development. Big initiative in staff training and client service. Large variety of clients and you really get the opportunity to bite off as much as you can chew and skip ahead in your career path.

Cons

You really need to be a go getter to succeed here. You won't be able to just float along here like you can at other places.

9. "Good place to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people make coming to work everyday enjoyable
    - Open-door policy - I feel I can walk into many of the Shareholder's offices and they listen to my concerns and address them
    - Managing Shareholder is a great leader and well-respected
    - Continued growth offers lots of career opportunities

Cons

- Need more engaging employee activities with Shareholder participation.

Advice to Management

- Continue to remain transparent to employees

"Be Skeptical of March 15th, 2016 Reviews"

I have been working at Doeren Mayhew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It seems to be quite the coincidence that the company claims the page around March 15th and suddenly two great reviews pop up. The two reviews from the beginning of March, which are rather negative, are more reflective of the current situation in the Houston office. There were times when things were getting better about a year ago, but since then, things have been down hill. HR manager responsible for the buddy and mentor program mentioned was let go before busy season even started. Both marketing staff have left the company. Admin staff was heavily cut, placing huge burdens on the already burdened admins. Continued in Cons:

Cons

Upper management, Managing Shareholder, COO, are extremely removed and no longer seem interested in the staff and managers. The company will penny-pinch anywhere possible, including situations where doing the right thing would mean a very small expense to the company. The talk of a revolving door is 100% correct, with turnover in both tax and audit making it very hard to work engagements consistently year over year. It also puts heavy burdens on the staff. There are current employees who are being run into the ground and will burn out pretty soon, if they haven't already.

Advice to Management

This company has A LOT of potential and their employees have a lot of talent. But if they keep treating them poorly, that talent will leave for better opportunities, which is not good for a company who already has trouble keeping jobs appropriately staffed. Additionally, take some interest in employees. The Managing partner and COO are rarely at firm events, even those that congratulate employees for getting their CPA licenses. Show some interest in your people! Also, don't post canned, PR-approved reviews on this site to whitewash the truth. That is extremely dishonest and deceptive. The people who work for this company know the truth, and posting positive reviews online will not help to correct the situations that led to the negative reviews in the first place.