Dogtopia Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 117 reviews

3.3
Dogtopia CEO Neil Gill
Neil Gill
Pros
  • "You get to work with dogs of all breeds, you can bring your own dog for free and get boarding at a discounted rate(in 20 reviews)

• "There are many other places to work if you love dogs(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The person who took my spot didn’t bother to mop up the pee or pick up any poop(in 9 reviews)

• "Playroom attendants are treated poorly(in 9 reviews)

1. "You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Dogtopia full-time

Pros

Advancement, help, knowledge. The more you work and not slack the more you get out of the job and the management

Cons

Stressful at times, co-workers not coming in or leaving without notice.

Dogtopia2019-07-17
  2. "Love the dogs - lots of work!"

Current Employee - Room Attendant

I have been working at Dogtopia part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Get to be around dogs all day -Get to go outside -Not a desk job

Cons

-Lots of cleaning and manual labor

Dogtopia2019-09-11
  3. "I love It"

Current Employee - Rover

I have been working at Dogtopia full-time

Pros

I always enjoy coming to work

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful

Dogtopia2019-08-16
  4. "Toxic management, dogs and employees put at risk."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with the sweet pups that come in to play and learning about dog behaviors/training techniques. Your dog can come with you at no charge while you’re on the clock. 10% discount on merch. Schedule is flexible and done 3 weeks ahead. Easy to use app where you can change your availability, receive shift reminders, and clock in and out.

Cons

Dogtopia of Edmond, Oklahoma has an incredibly toxic work environment that starts from the franchise owner and poisons the rest of the staff. Canine coaches are paid poverty wages and not valued for the incredible amount of work they do. I was constantly yelled at and picked on and judged by management. Management is afraid of franchise owner, which causes them to be harsh with coaches. Several times management has... asked me to do something that would put the dogs at risk, then they take is as disrespect when I tell them I need better communication on their end. They close the playrooms early to save on labor costs, which puts the dogs and coaches at risk because then they have to put a gate up in the room to separate the big dogs from the small dogs, and dogs get their paws between the panels constantly. The owner is on us all the time to look good on camera, but thinks it’s okay for him to shake the gate and yell to get the dogs off of it. You’re on your feet for 6 hours or more with one ten minute break that you won’t be given unless you ask. When you ask for help at front desk, most of the time they respond rudely, so when they tell you to tell front desk everything, DONT. Just ask the Rover(shift lead). They take coaches for granted as if they could run the place without us. They don’t take our concerns seriously even though we’re the ones in the playroom all day. Front desk often puts the wrong collars on the dogs, which is super important because the colors indicate if they have a health issue, if they’re food possessive, if they need to be crated when letting new dogs in the room, etc. They don’t talk to you unless you did something wrong, other than that they ignore you. The dogs are great, the people are not.

Advice to Management

You have high turnover for a reason. Either pay more or stop making your employees miserable. Preferably both.

Dogtopia2019-08-29

"If you care about dogs don’t work here"

Former Employee - Rover in Frederick, MD

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to see a lot of cute dogs and puppies, schedule is very flexible

Cons

Corporate give little support and only cares about maximizing profits. Management prioritizes money above pet and employee safety.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Hire more people and more qualified people.

Dogtopia2019-08-01
  6. "SOUTH AUSTIN- Wonderful place to work, but be aware each location has different owner (franchised)"

Current Employee - Front in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dogtopia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, lots of dogs, customers are generally nice, good location, management is AMAZING

Cons

Hours and pay are low, not a lot of opportunity for growth, so far no benefits for hourly employees

Dogtopia2019-06-22
  7. "Fun and maintaining clean place for pups"

Current Employee - Playroom Attendant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Dogtopia part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to meet and learn the dogs.

Cons

Lots of cleaning. Fast paced. Enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Dogtopia2019-06-15

"An amazing place to work and grow with the company"

Former Employee - Customer Care in Manassas, VA

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience at Dogtopia of Manassas was absolutely incredible! I worked here for almost two years and wish I could have stayed longer. Management offers a lot of room to grow with the company and all the resources you need to become knowledgeable on not only the company itself but everything about dogs health, safety, etc. The owners are wonderful and truly care about every single dog, staff member, and customer.... They consistently go above and beyond to accommodate anyone that they can and always strive to ensure the customer's happiness along with the pup's safety. One of the biggest perk's of working here is being able to bring your own dog with you to play in the playrooms through out the day. My dog absolutely loved this and I never once worried about her safety or health while she was in the playroom. All of the Canine Coaches are very well trained and knowledgeable on dog behavior, and give the pups so much love all through out the day. Working here, I looked forward to coming to work every single day; I would seriously get so excited to come to my JOB!! You don't find that many places, but Dogtopia will surely be one of them. Overall, this is an amazing place to work and I would recommend to anyone! I speak so highly of Dogtopia because I have seen first hand the incredible experiences and opportunities that this company brings you. This will forever be my favorite place I have ever worked!

Cons

The only negative thing I have experienced here is when the facility reaches capacity and we have to turn dogs away (for the dogs safety). But that says enough about the facility itself :) Overall, nothing negative to say about this place - I still bring my dog here because she loves it so much, and I'll continue to do so :)

Dogtopia2019-05-21

"Aweful job"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Dogtopia full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to learn about dogs, and get to know them. Some of the dogs were very sweet and I miss them.

Cons

•Long shifts •Immature, disorganized management •Paychecks were incorrect sometimes •Extremely understaffed •8 hour shift with no break sometimes • Way too many dogs in one room

Dogtopia2019-07-07

"Manassas, VA - Overall a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Room Attendant in Manassas, VA

I worked at Dogtopia part-time

Pros

I'm pretty shocked to see these other reviews as I had such a pleasant experience working at Dogtopia of Manassas! I worked here part time while I was studying at a local university, and management was very accommodating of my school schedule. I felt that I got plenty of training on the job as well as support from coworkers in order to provide the best care for the dogs under our supervision. I believe that... management always staffed appropriately for the number of dogs in each playroom, and I never once felt that any dog or staff member was put in an unsafe position. We followed a daily schedule for the dogs as far as play time, meal time, and nap time which kept things very consistent for the dogs, as well as a strict cleaning regiment that ensured the dogs were in a clean and safe environment. The owners are great to work for, very knowledgeable about dogs, and I feel as though they take an interest in each dog, customer, and staff member that walked into their establishment! Overall, I believe this is a great place to work and to bring your pet dogs!

Cons

I truly don't have anything negative to say about Dogtopia in Manassas or the people that I worked with. I really enjoyed working here as I finished up my college classes!

Dogtopia2019-05-20