Doherty Enterprises Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2022

Found 174 of over 191 reviews

4.3
Doherty Enterprises Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Ed Doherty (no image)
Ed Doherty

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with great values

Apr 26, 2022 - Manager in Allendale, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a newbie to the restaurant industry, I find my coworkers and supervisors extremely supportive of my professional growth. They are constantly looking for learning opportunities for me and both push me out of my comfort zone while being extremely receptive to my outside point of view. I feel extremely valued. On a more general note, Doherty seems to be very employee focused. There is a strong culture of acknowledgement and appreciation at every level that is continuously expressed. Doherty really is a great place to work.

Cons

None that I can see.

Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We take great care to ensure that all of our employees feel valued and that their professional growth is nurtured and encouraged!

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Lacking in values. No work/life balance

Feb 16, 2022 - General Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hard to say what the pros are. Yes, you have a job with what seems like a good salary, but that's about it.

Cons

Little to no work/life balance. Managers get 1 weekend off a month (if you aren't short staffed) and only 2 sick days a year. You are advised early on in your career that using sick days is "frowned upon" so if you are sick, you just switch your day off. Also, God forbid you're sick, be prepared to beg and borrow to get your shift covered. Managers are always living in fear of losing their jobs as you are only valued by what your assessment scores are. Little opportunity to develop yourself or Managers as there is no time for development because budgets do not allow sufficient floor coverage. Company is very involved with the community but only for the photo ops and tax write offs. Hourly supervisors start at $13/hour and are asked to cover shifts for bartenders and servers. Taxes on their tips errode their actual check. You will be forced to drive in to work (even in a blizzard) and wait to see of you open/cloee the restaurant.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Experience To Grow

Feb 9, 2022 - Server/Trainer/Neighborhood Expert in Valley Stream, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work for your tips, with an instant pay out.

Cons

High School drama tends to be a running theme in the work environment.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Hard work but great company

Dec 11, 2021 - Bartender in North Fort Myers, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Above average benefits -Easy, cheap spot for regulars to come in and hang out -Steady business throughout slow season -Company offers decent training and is always willing to cross train employees -This location is one of the busiest Applebee's in Florida -Company offers great opportunities to move up

Cons

-Out dated and overly complicated POS system -Checks are low so tips are lower than average for the area -A lot of new servers in high volume resteraunt, so smaller sections during high volume times -Clientel is older and extremely resistant to any kind of change -Most daily business comes in during shift change

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

Poor pay, poor benefits, only lateral opportunities

Oct 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to get a job with this company

Cons

Impossible to both be a good employee here and grow and succeed. You are taken advantage of and left in positions that benefit the employer but never show growth or opportunity for the employee. The management pits people against each other and you essentially fight over scraps. Low level employees are blamed for numbers when management drops the ball on slow kitchen times or mistakes. Overall a poor example in the service industry.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company culture

Sep 16, 2021 - Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company does a fantastic job at focusing and improving the culture. Constantly fundraise to help organizations. You receive great discounts at their restaurants.

Cons

Although there was possibility for growth it was difficult to learn more about your field unless you requested to attend a conference.

Director of Recruiting

Hello. Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about the company during your time working here. Giving back to our communities surely is a cornerstone to our foundation thanks for speaking to that.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ups and downs.

May 17, 2021 - Assistant Manager Applebees
    Business Outlook

Pros

You have a job. Pay isn't bad at first There are some decent benefits with the company.

Cons

Company will try to suck you in with their family mentality but truly only goes one way so will give you a decent illusion of being respected / wanted until you try to ask for advice or help. Review after review I would say most managers (This did not happen to me) would be passed up for a raise or promotion if they had any issues in the past of the company. As the reviewers would always go back to the event even if it was corrected and years ago. Hours claimed to be 55-60 like many managment positions. Be prepared to work 65-80 weekly. By the time it is all said and done your salary really isn't worth it.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good

Oct 25, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are great Pay is fair

Cons

None that I can think of

Director of Recruiting

Thank you kindly for sharing your insights.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Jul 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Allendale, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about employees and strives to do best by them

Cons

Restaurant industry has taken a hit but Doherty continues to prevail

Director of Recruiting

Hello, and thank you for your feedback! We couldn't agree more, our employees are the heart of our business and this past year we were thankful that we could be there for each and every one of them. We are stronger because of our people.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Poor Loyalty to Employees

Oct 12, 2021 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company was previously upstanding in their industry.

Cons

Do not demonstrate loyalty to employees. Unfair management. Poor management decisions.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 174 Reviews

Doherty Enterprises Reviews FAQs

Doherty Enterprises has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 191 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Doherty Enterprises to a friend and 72% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Doherty Enterprises employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Doherty Enterprises. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

89% of Doherty Enterprises employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Doherty Enterprises 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Doherty Enterprises to be culture, benefits, career development and the cons to be work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with Doherty Enterprises Job Seekers