Doherty Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Valerie Doherty

Pros
  • Reliable payment, easy to work with, they are willing to help out with issues inside and outside of the work place (in 3 reviews)

• Nice work environment, get lot's of exposure and knowledge for anyone looking to get into HR and recruiting (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • When it's really busy it can be stressful just like any service industry (in 3 reviews)

• Not always a temp to hire job, a lot of times there's no jobs (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Values"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Doherty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Truly a company where every level cares about clients and employees. Everyone values the relationships between customers and prospects. We work hard as a team to make sure we deliver.

Cons

When it's really busy it can be stressful just like any service industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer the educational opportunities!

2. "Polaris Paint Line"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spirit Lake, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spirit Lake, IA

I worked at Doherty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good, interview process easy.

Cons

None of what was promised by Doherty was actually a reality within Polaris. At orientation, you are told you will be transitioned to permanent Polaris employee at 90 days, provided you don't miss work. I did not meet a single co-worker who transitioned in less than 5 months. I got injured on the job due to damaged equipment that had been reported multiple times. I was told after two weeks that my temp position had ended due to unavailable jobs that fit my restrictions. I am still in a battle with their work comp to pay my medical bills because I "left the job during injury", though leaving was not my choice.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Be a little more human and care about your employees.

3. "Corporate employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I worked at Doherty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and most management. My team and manager were the most supportive and fun people to work with. If you work with the right people the job can be really rewarding. This is a good company for recent grads to get 1-2 years experience. The people truly care about you and want you to do well. There is a family atmosphere that makes you feel like your opinion and suggestions matter. Good PTO and flexibility from manager.

Cons

The pay is really low and sometimes the work isn't appreciated. No room for growth. Staffing is a hard industry in general. Management can be difficult to work with when the business is struggling.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees and keep them accountable for quality of work.

5. "Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant in Silver Lake, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant in Silver Lake, MN

I worked at Doherty (More than a year)

Pros

A nice summer job to get a little money between college semesters.

Cons

Job ended early due to unexpected lack of work.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at Doherty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doherty has a great atmosphere, great employees and an overall great feeling. The CEO cares about you and what is going on in your life and she truly wants you to succeed. (Plus we have some great potlucks!)

Cons

I don't have any cons about Doherty. This is a great place to work and I would recommend it to anyone!

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing because your employees can tell that you care and that you are here to listen!

7. "do not value hard work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at Doherty (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of hours to work

Cons

Inconsistent with core rules and value. Have no integrity or value for people who have built their businesses

Advice to Management

Value ones who truly gabe their all to you.

Doherty Response

Aug 8, 2016 – Employment Professional

Hello, Our company, Doherty Staffing Solutions, is a recruiting agency headquartered in Minneapolis, MN which does not have any offices or clients in Florida. Due to part of our company’s name ... More

8. "Not very professional, money driven"

Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Yankton, SD
    Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Yankton, SD

I worked at Doherty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives and they do have an inspiring, motivating team. If you dont mind working non-stop every day its a good job.

Cons

You could work 9 or 10 days straight and never run into overtime. They would still expect you to do more. Unnecessary calls in the morning before shift when they could easily be done during the work day.

Advice to Management

Increase your hourly pay, and make sure your managers are up to date on laws regarding employment verification for new employers of past employees.

9. "Warehouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I have been working at Doherty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get you a job quicker than regular companies.

Cons

Not always a temp to hire job, a lot of times there's no jobs. It feels like they work on commission. If I call back and try to talk to another agent, they won't help you with a job.

"Internal Staffing Specialist (Recruiter) Review"

Current Employee - Internal Staffing Specialist (Recruiter) in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Internal Staffing Specialist (Recruiter) in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Doherty full-time

Pros

-Fun people and small business environment.
    -They teach their recruiters and sales people a good foundation of skills to be successful.
    -They take chances on college grads who don't have previous corporate experience.
    -You can slack during lunch while your managers take 2-3 hours to make personal calls, eat with other upper management, or work out at the gym.
    -Good work life balance, you won't be asked to come in on weekends or work later than 6pm.
    -Company isn't going anywhere, they are financially stable.

Cons

-The salary is a joke, lower than every other Administrative-based staffing agency (think Aerotek, Prostaff, Masterson). The offer a whopping $12-14 to start out of college, then increase you to $15 once you are 'hired on'.
    -We are expected to work like crazy for commissions around $200 per quarter!
    -They hire the recruiters based on PI's -not from recommendations or actual experience, thus you get stuck with a bunch of aggressive, snarky people in one room. These people will gossip about everything under the sun, they will exploit every personal detail you tell them to the entire company. I have listened to hundreds of personal stories about others while working here, it doesn't matter if you work in the same office or across the metro the whole lower half of the company knows what you do on the weekends and who you are dating, etc.
    -They also promote people based on time with company, NOT based on talent or worthiness to the company. Its a "put in your time/pay your dues" company and that amount is years and years before you start to see any of your worth pay off.
    -The turnover rate is mediocre, people aren't in/out in under a year, its more like 2-3 years but when you look at the fact that some people make a career being a recruiter (at much larger corporations) the turnover rate looks high here.

Advice to Management

The owners have NO idea what is going on lower in the company. The gossip at Doherty is insane. I have never experienced so many rumors. Upper management needs to be a mentor to the recruiters. When they see you with your feet up on the desk and having "meetings" all day but you come back with more gossipy stories; we know you were just hanging out and not really doing anything productive during the meeting.

If the owners want to find out how their company is really run, hire a recruiter you know and have the report back to you weekly. I think you would be floored to see what is going on on those offices.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Corporate in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate in Edina, MN

I worked at Doherty full-time

Pros

Fun, fast-paced sales team. Company events. Exciting growth/expansion.

Cons

Insulting wages and benefits offerings, forced friendships

Advice to Management

Act like grown ups, make the most of support teams talent and time instead of taking advantage of their aim to please you. We don't all need to be friends. Also your corporate pay and benefits are the worst I've seen in my several years out of school.