Dolby Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dolby President and CEO Kevin J. Yeaman
Kevin J. Yeaman

Pros
  • years) and new employees, a modern, fresh, work environment in San Francisco, 9/80 work schedule, ability to contribute to important initiatives (in 39 reviews)

• The company has a true work/life balance, without sacrificing either (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow decision making with very little accountability (in 19 reviews)

• Too many decision makers with contradictory agendas at upper management level (in 8 reviews)

"Manager G&A"

Current Employee - Manager G&A in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager G&A in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at Dolby are collaborative, friendly, respectful and appreciative. You will not work in a better working environment. I am given the tools to do my job, flexibility in schedule, ability to pave my own career path and coaching to navigate new areas of growth. On top of it, I have a gym and free classes to attend throughout the day and a wonderful cafeteria with good food at a reasonable price with free parking in the city! Our new office at 9th and Market has art work on every floor, volunteer out reach programs to volunteer in our new neighborhood and free movie screenings. What's not to like?? Dolby is a solid company, making money and here for 50 years but still feels like a new technology company because of all of the incredible areas of audio and vision we are involved in. I am very proud to say I work at Dolby Laboratories.

Cons

Civic Center is a new and upcoming area and one needs to be patient with change as new businesses make their home here.

Advice to Management

Continue to be competitive with salaries. It is a competitive market and employees may be swayed by recruiter calls.

"Used to be good but not anymore after the recent reorg"

Current Employee - Manager in China, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in China, ME

I have been working at Dolby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, cinema business is fun and promising. Good place to work with an international team with exposure to different culture.

Cons

Very centralized and US focused, slow and political. Current org won't support a long term success particularly for employees outside of the States

Advice to Management

Be decisive and accountable

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are friendly. Pay is high. Bonuses and sales commissions get paid, regardless of results. You will notice that every review cites the "off fridays" as the main 'pro'.

Cons

The company spends money like a drunk sailor. Except for the legal team, the company is equally productive to a drunk sailor. Zero accountability or leadership from middle management all the way to the Board.

Advice to Management

Cut costs. Create some accountability. Find some focus.

"Sr. Integrated Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work closely across functional teams and own the full GTM.

Cons

A lot of inexperienced team members

Advice to Management

Needed better articulation of strategic vision. Brand direction felt unfocused.

"Great Brand, but not so great strategy, or managers."

Current Employee - EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING MANAGER in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING MANAGER in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing brand to have on your resume of course. Potrero office (soon to remodel) is a cool building with amazing history and vibe.

Some amazing products that could (do) change the world if they were marketed well. People would be asking for Dolby products in droves instead of 4K TVs.

Cons

The new building on Market is cool, but workspaces are cramped and there aren't any of the typical "tech corridor" perks in sight except for some light snacks.

The company has undergone an overhaul of sorts and it's clear who has fresh ideas and who is dragging their feet.

Every other Friday off is great, but not really 'off' - You need to work 9 hours every other day and then most people end up working part of the Friday Day off.

Have found management to be stifling. There is an expectation of doing things "The Dolby Way" which is fine, but there's really no patience for interest or questions and no direction or documentation on what that Dolby way is... So watch out when you don't do it as expected.

Was referred in, and then last-minute the position was changed to contract instead of FTE and had to go through management agency with a TON of paperwork and slow processes... 4-weeks in and the job suddenly appears re-posted. NO discussion or addressing from management, HR, or agency... poor taste and somewhat rude behavior.

There's no experience in Experiential Marketing here... Lots of "shove this peg thru this hole - fast' mentality. Executions are not cohesive or thoughtful.

Advice to Management

You hire people for their expertise, so let them be experts (and if they blow it, then deal)... Don't treat employees like children and dictate every single email or process that could be improved upon. Yes, life moves fast, but work smart - not just hard.

Let people bring more to the table. If you want to be a fresh, cool company, then there are lots of amazing ways to engage the market. Slapping up a booth at a show that has little thought about messaging or experience isn't going to move the needle. Those of us that are asking questions are doing so to understand and further the brand and the product.

Just because there's a gathering of people doesn't make it an 'event', much less an experiential event.

"Hopeless"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Every "pro" description includes Fridays off as a pro. It's easy to get used to this sleepy pace and total lack of accountability. Plus many fun toys to play with if you are an engineer (with no expectations that you will bring a product to market!). Even if you are not an engineer, you will have plenty of consultants to do your work for you.

Cons

All of the "pros" above are actually "cons". Inexperienced management: Politics. Politics. Politics. Talk. Talk. Talk. Spend. Spend. Spend.

Advice to Management

No advice. Situation is simply hopeless. But if you want to keep the dream alive for a while longer get rid of the consultants and the 9/80s. Hold yourselves accountable first, then your employees.

"Great people with a few rotten apples"

Former Contractor - Brand Marketing Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Brand Marketing Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dolby as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The 9/80 work week is really awesome. People enjoy what they do and are passionate about the cinema industry. Dolby also is making great efforts to make themselves relevant again to this generation of young adults.

Cons

Management is super poor for everyone below senior. Not a great place for young entry level workers looking to learn. A great resume booster but not much take away from the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to invest time into younger employees. They could turn out to be the best workers you have because they are willing to stay late and work hard to gain that experience.

"Dolby's Ongoig Struggle With Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Great Technology
    - Great Position in Cinema and Broadcast
    - Great Technical Employee Base

Cons

- Weak Management
    - Semi-Retired Sales Leadership (lacking leadership acumen)
    - No Appreciation of the Power and Importance of Marketing

Advice to Management

Open Your Eyes and Make Decisions

"Great place to learn and grow - interesting work and excellent colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Dolby for almost seven years. While here, I've had tremendous growth opportunities: I've learned a ton from a variety of challenging projects across all areas of my field, and I've been able to advance my career. I really appreciate:
    - Working on a daily basis with highly intelligent, analytical, interesting people both within and outside my function. Respecting and learning from the people around me is super important to me. The interesting thing about Dolby is that many of these people tend to be humble as well.
    - The availability of challenging, worthwhile "problems" to solve - you can really make an impact here; the level of complexity can be frustrating at times, but for the most part guarantees you won't be bored or complacent
    - The leadership team's commitment to high quality and high integrity - we make high quality products, we take pride in solving difficult problems, and while I may not agree with every leadership decision I have never questioned whether leaders would "do the right thing"
    - In general, I think many people enjoy good work-life balance here and the off-Fridays are a great benefit

Cons

Many of our challenges are not unique to Dolby and include:
    Being a truly "global" company in which our non-US HQ regions are set up for success
    A leadership style and culture that is more "traditional" and "hierarchical" than many tech companies, although I see some evidence this is changing
    The difficulty of making real progress when multiple departments, systems, processes, and stakeholders are involved - change can be slow here at times with a lot of up-front buy-in required

Advice to Management

Continue to hold people to high standards, high quality, high integrity - that's a big part of what attracts great people to Dolby and keeps them working here
    Don't be afraid of more transparent communication
    Encourage more risk-taking and "failing fast"
    Keep holding leaders accountable for empowering their people to make decisions
    It would be great to see top executives engaging with employees in a more informal way

"Fun, engaging, going places"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dolby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people.
    Non-political work environment.
    High-tech & entertainment.
    Exceptional brand.
    New Marketing Org brings strong leadership - great CMO.
    Genuine, inspiring and fun Marketing team.
    Recent changes in how the team is working has really improved communications.

Cons

This is hard work!
    Lots of change - not always in the direction you want.
    Need more people to share the load.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting great people to the team
    Keep true to your direction - we're going places together as a team